Skip to main content
Topic: Private message (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Private message
Yahoo Message Number: 146341
OK,  a bit of a Luddite I am but how in heck do I now send a private message or response to either a message or person on this site?  I view on the groups.yahoo.com site and use an iPad.

I see no squares or X's or any of the stuff referred to in 2013 when this same Q? was posed.

Thanks MikeMc

Re: Private message
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146342
A persons actual address  is imbedded in the From: header. For instances, your From: header is  . So your direct email address  for a private emailing is "olddog22202@mac.com ". When you click  on reply, it goes only to the link in the [ ] brackets.

Dale 24FL & Cherokee Toad

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146343
Thanks Dale but hang with me a moment.  Where did you find the From header for me?  I have looked for yours but do not find it.

Sheesh, I imagine it is out in the open and I will have shown my butt ignorance.....reason why I want to use PM once in a while.
Mike

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146357
Not all email programs  work the same. What program are you using for email? Also, look to see  if there is an option to Show Headers or Show All Headers.

Dale

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146358
Maybe the easiest way is  to look at the bottom of a person's message. You should see some  selections that include "Reply to sender". Select that one., and it  should go directly to that person.

Dale

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146359
Dale The option you mentioned- Reply to Sender is not something I am offered as an option.  As an iPad user, a mac.com email guy I suspect you and i have different screens availble. mike

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146361
Folks, I think there's a misunderstanding here. MikeMc, who asked the original question, wrote:

"I view on the groups.yahoo.com site"

He doesn't see the headers you've been talking about, because he's not getting these messages as emails (or digests). Right, Mike?

There is a way to send an email to a member via the website. It's not obvious (nothing about the "new Yahoo" is!), and it doesn't work if the member in question has chosen to hide his or her email address, as many do. But for what it's worth, here it is.

Assuming you're looking at a message on the group's website from the member you want to write to, scroll down below the message, to where you see the "Reply" box. Start typing a reply.

Above the box you type into is a smaller box containing the subject of your message. Immediately to the left of the word "Subject" is an icon that looks like corporal's stripes turned upside down, or two downward-pointing chevrons, if you prefer. Click on that icon to expand the message header.

Now you'll see boxes for "To", "From", and "Subject". If you click in the "To" box, you'll get a menu of choices that let you address your reply to the person who wrote the message, to the group, or to both.

Sorry it's so complicated, but then this is Yahoo--worth what we pay for it.

Andy Baird

Travels with Andy
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146363
I have the same problem when using Earthlink and the iPad to read the Lazy Daze list.  I can't tell, unless there is a signature at the end, who has written any message.  However, I just noticed in the listing on the left-hand side of the iPad screen (at least for individual messages), the sender's screen name and partial address is visible.  I experimented by hitting REPLY (the arrow, and then tapping REPLY), and found that the sender's screen name and address then show up in the body of the message.

Presume one could then copy/paste that address into a new message.  I just tried it, and it worked.  BUT - I didn't actually send the message.  It was to Bill Lynch.  I don't know if the sender's program would have anything to do with it or not.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146365
...and once again the answer is in the details.  Thank you Andy, George and Dale who have tried to help me over the learning curve.

Andy's method works but I feel like I did decades ago when sitting down with a Osborne and trying to teach self by the Push the Button and see what happens method. I wonder what Yahoo's intentions are in making the Group sites so non intuitive? Peace MikeMc