Skip to main content
Topic: Just bought 2004 LD 24' FD! (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Just bought 2004 LD 24' FD!
Yahoo Message Number: 146271
Hi all,

I just bought 2004 LD 24' FD.  I flew into San Diego from Austin, TX to pick this LD up and then drove all the way to Austin last week.  Everything about LD is better than I thought.

The only real con is harshness of ride when driving over poor/rough roads.  Installing something like LiquidSpring CLASS suspension system would be nice (looks like it can be only installed on bare chassis prior to coach build).

Anyway, it is possible that I have worn out shocks and due for new shocks?

I did read an article about shocks on LD and it recommend Bilstein Comfort shocks.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/motorhome-heavy-truck/b6-46mm-shocks/

Is that best ones available for LD?

Thanks

Jamie

Re: Just bought 2004 LD 24' FD!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146274
"I did read an article about shocks on LD and it recommend Bilstein Comfort shocks.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/motorhome-heavy-truck/b6-46mm-shocks/ Is that best ones available for LD?"

Jamie

Welcome to the cult.
 As an owner of a 2003 23.5' LD, I have tried several types of shocks. Probably the best ride was with the stock Ford shocks. I tried Bilstein regular shocks and found them to be way too stiff...and the Factory feels the same and does not install Bilsteins on the shorter chassis due to its light weight..
I found that Bilstein sold a softer, "Comfort" version of their heavy-duty shock. I was at the Mothershhip, discussing things with Steve and I mentioned the 'Comfort' Bilstein shocks . He had tried a set and wasn't pleased and had removed them. He still had them and I was able to buy from LD, at a considerable discount, and have enjoyed them since.
 Other LD owners have switched to Koni RV shock and most report a softer, less harsh ride.
Koni is a well known manufacturer, I ran their high performance shocks many decades ago
 Do make sure all the shock bushings are tight. The driver's side top shock mount is just about impossible to get to and many times loosen and destroy the bushing. The rear shocks also can have the same issue.
 At the beginning, I mentioned the best ride came from the stock Ford shock. LD usually has stacks of the stock shock take-offs that they sell for a good discount. You might see if they will sell you a set, They are not a bad shock and may be perfect for your usage.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146276
Jamie, did you check your tire pressure to make sure it was not set too high in one or all of the tires? Too high a pressure can make for a hard ride.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146279
I have the Bilstien comfort series shocks installed and they work great. This is on an E350 chassis loaded to the max. Helps with the excessive chassis wobble that the stock shocks allowed.
 My rig had the stock Monroe shocks when I got it and they bottomed out too easily, especially during off road jaunts.
 If you can get the factory to sell you some at a discount that sounds like a great deal.

Bob

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146280
From: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com [mailto:lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com]
 Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:07 AM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: Just bought 2004 LD 24' FD!

I have the Bilstien comfort series shocks installed and they work great. This is on an E350 chassis loaded to the max. Helps with the excessive chassis wobble that the stock shocks allowed.

My rig had the stock Monroe shocks when I got it and they bottomed out too easily, especially during off road jaunts.

If you can get the factory to sell you some at a discount that sounds like a great deal.

Bob

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146321
Isn't it bad karma to buy a new rig and post without pix?  Or is it bad karma to ask if it is bad karma when I'm such a newb here?