Skip to main content
Topic: Extended Valves from Tire Man (Ridgecrest) Installation (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Extended Valves from Tire Man (Ridgecrest) Installation
Yahoo Message Number: 146232
I have a set of extended valves( which I was calling valve extenders earlier) arriving soon.  Has anyone had them installed in the greater Sacramento, CA area and have recommendations or suggestions?  One poster's experience was good one by watching the process like a hawk, but that is about 500 mi away. thanx in advance, joel
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Re: Extended Valves from Tire Man (Ridgecrest) Installation
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146234
Try America's Tire in Roseville. I have seen them install these on Dumptrucks with dually's so the RV Install should be about the same. Call them first to verify they have someone that can do it on the day you arrive. Some of the employees are not full time. BTW they did an excellent job when they replaced my tires. But make sure to remove the wheel covers yourself. They almost damaged one of mine because they didn't know about the screw off lug nut covers.

Bob

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146410
I'm wondering the same thing and wondering if you found a solution/if you went with America's tire in Roseville. I asked at Les Schwab and once they said "yes" for about $120, the next time I went in they said they couldn't. So I'm still looking for that "reputable tire shoppe".
Thanks, Ray
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146434
I went to the America's tire store on Bidwell in Folsom (next to the Home Depot).  The manager, Tracy said he had not done those specifically but had done others.   He did not have an hourly labor price, and said "about $135".  Slightly more than 2 1/2 hours later we were done.  He said there were some unforeseen minor steps but would honor his original estimate.  When asked,  He said next time it would be about $200 - $225.  I offered to pay $200 and we settled at $175.   Part of the unforseen was balancing the tires with the TPMS monitors, which have to be removed to get the tires back on and a rubber spacer on the outer wheel to hold the inner stem.

After all was done,  I would go back to them.

The TPMS monitors did not have room to go back on after installation.  A  call to Chuck at Tire man found that the inner stem could be  bent inward somewhat to go on.   I used a 3/8 " deep socket and 9" extension to bend it - the socket moves the bend down a bit more than an inch and the extension for leverage.

Don't forget the lug extenders- they take a 5/16" Allen wrench to tighten.   Applying them when the stems go on avoids taking the covers off again.

TST TPMS monitors are reading about 74-76 PSI on 80 PSI tire.

"Learning from you mistakes is good, learning from someone else's is better and less traumatic"

joel

Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146435
The extended tire valve stems are also available here for a better price: Your Tire Shop Supply | Supplies for Tire Shops I ordered a set that has comprehensive instructions on installation. A common misconception seems to be that the Tireman in Ridgecrest will give you a superior product or better install support. Not true as others can attest. Borg support is exemplary and the product is cheaper with similar or better quality. When I called with questions we talked for 20 minutes about my application. I ordered the Chrome extenders for a little more bling at $30.00 less than the Tireman. Don't drink the koolaid.

Bob