Skip to main content
Topic: BBQ (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
BBQ
Yahoo Message Number: 146166
Just thought I would throw it out there.

What seems to be the best portable BBQ that stows away nicely.

Thanks

Tim

Re: BBQ
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146170
I'm sure there will be many who have more exotic and well researched options, but we currently have a Weber Q. It is the smallest model.  I thinks it's a 1000. Whatever is is, it fits nicely in the forward outside passenger side compartment of our 24' FD. It has a nice heavy cooking grate, and there is a griddle available to fit. We also used a Weber black stamped steel unit for years. It was much cheaper, but didn't like the wind. A red Coleman unit lasted two trips. It had a very flimsy grate, and did not do well in wind which seems to follow us wherever we go. Good luck.  Larry in Monument, CO 2008 24' FD
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146171
This has been a good little performer for us:

It does a pretty decent job, easy to use, doesn't take up much space, comes with its own carrying bag to keep everything else clean.

Is it ok to prefer gas grills over charcoal?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146172
I've been researching (off and on) 'small propane barbecue' options for a while and have decided that the Weber Q1000 is the best choice for me. I really like my little Pyromid charcoal barbecue that I've had for 23 years, but there is an increasing number of places in the west where 'open fires', including charcoal grills, are not permitted.

The Weber Q1000 has been slightly re-designed; one difference between the Q1000 and the previous model, the Q100, is that the lid on the 1000 is 'lower', offering a slightly more compact unit.

The grill is still too 'tall' to fit into any compartment on my 24' TK; the compartment opening height is 9". However, the lid of the Weber can be removed and /transported/stored separately from the base; the lid attaches with a kind of 'clevis pin' set-up (the closest I can describe!) and R-pin keeper on the shank.  The two pieces will fit into a 'long and low' compartment of the TK. (In a store, checked out the attachment configuration for ease of disassembly.)

The Q1000 looks like a well-made unit, it seems to offer convenience and functionality (two real 'biggies' for me!), and from past experience with another Weber product, the company customer service is very good. I will likely order it from Amazon unless I can find one locally for the same price.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146178
We BBQ at home or on the road at least three times a week and have owned many types.
For years we carried a Weber "Go anywhere" grill but the beach's salt air did it in after about 8 years.
It was OK but didn't get particularly hot Weber® Go-Anywhere Charcoal Grill

It was replaced by an Olympic  BBQ Camco 57301 Olympian 4100 Tabletop Grill It has worn like iron and has almost no damage after 11 years of frequent use. It folds nicely and fits in the large forward compartment. My favorite so far.

Cooking outside always has it challenges with wind being the most common problem.I made a folding wind shield, from 16-gauge sheet aluminum, and hinged it so it will wrap around the BBQ, allowing its use in very windy weather, making it possible to grill at the beach or desert most of the time.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146179
The Pyromid Barbeque unit is the greatest. While not propane you can burn just about any fuel choice in it and it uses very little to get the job done. Folds up to a flat unit and is very compact.
 I love the flavor that mesquite wood/charcoal imparts on food. You can't get that with propane. I get free campfire permits from the BLM so no worries.

Bob

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146180
We have a little clam-shell looking barbeque I bought at Camping World.  It's the one held together with a big red rubber band.  Anyway, it looks real nice and it fits into our thin side compartment opening but it doesn't work for beans.  It's just a piece of junk.
 I want to get a Weber Q 100/1000.  They have pins to hold the lid on that can be easily pulled out to separate it from the base.  That should make it short enough to fit through the opening in two pieces.
 The unit looks really well made and the new versions made the grille plate in two pieces for easy cleaning.

So that's what I'm going to try next.

-Bill

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146183
If one doesn't have Larry or similarly skilled and knowledgeable 'master fabricator' handy, the Grill Guard is a very functional 'wind-stopper' accessory when barbecuing:

GrillGuard WindScreen, HeatShield & Grill Guard FireGuard

It's not cheap, but it's very well made; mine has survived plenty of mishaps! The guard can be ordered in custom measurements as well as being available in the stock sizes. It folds flat; I carry mine under the couch seat cushion.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146188
"The Pyromid Barbeque unit is the greatest" ---- It is; it was first manufactured by a small company in Bend, OR, but, unfortunately, the Pyromid went out of production several years ago. Once in a while, a Pyromid comes up on eBay; even well-used grills always command high prices. A company called 'Ecoque' (aparently) bought the Pyromid patent and is manufacturing a very similar product:

http://www.ecoque.com/pdf/DG_EQ_PortGrill_SS%20OptB%2021Dec2011%20LowRes_0.pdf

I don't know about the quality of the material or workmanship of this grill or where it's manufactured. Even when I get a Weber, my ancient Pyromid will still go with me!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 146189
In a message dated 5/9/2014 10:46:51 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,  lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com writes:
We discovered the Coleman Fold n Go a couple of years    ago . It's the first small propane grill we've ever had that    actually works VERY well . It's small and fits easily in an LD    compartment .

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/coleman-fold-n-go-grill/43823

Our son has one in his  Lance Camper.  Very nice.  Four years ago when I bought our 2003  LD,  I went to Camping World and bought a Kuuma electric BBQ.  I  prefer an electric one,  less hassle with coals or  propane.         Escondido  John, 2003 LD 26.5 MB
John in Escondido,  CA

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 146190
This looks like a perfectly-sized unit for taking along, BUT . . . I have never been able to work myself up to be an outdoor griller, even though our current house came with a gigantic BBQ unit on the back deck, which, of course, has never even had the cover off of it except when we get a windstorm, and it blows off of its own accord.  We have had two or three of the smaller grilling units, and gave them away after a try or two.

Nevertheless, I am always intrigued by the romance of grilling outside.  It seems a perfect match for RV'ing, since it keeps the mess outside.  I tend to cook meat pieces to last through several meals.  Is this a practical thing to do with the grill method?  I don't see why not, but am wondering if the meat gets more dried out because of the openness of the cooker, even if it has a lid like the one Ted suggests.  Would partially steaming a meat so that grilling time (thus drying out time) is reduced be something of a solution?

What about brining or marinading?  Would a meatloaf in a shallow-ish pan be cooked to doneness in a reasonable amount of time?  Is it possible to cover almost the entire surface with food, or does there need to be quite a lot of space left between pieces?  What about baking bread in there?  I've seen recipes for grilled pizza, which is most intriguing since I make a lot of pizza at home.  Does the cover produce enough extra retained heat to effect an oven?

I'm thinking that when on the road, storage space for a large package of meat is minimum, but if a package of meat were opened and immediately grilled, it would be easy to re-package into meal-sized portions for later use - some in the refrigerator; some in the freezer.  It wouldn't necessarily need to be done right at a mealtime, unless that is just how the timing worked out.

Which brings up the question of grilling vegetables . . .   Since the grill is already heated up, and vegetables don't usually take as long as meat, a fair amount of vegetables could be grilled at the same time, thus reducing their size (for storage purposes) as well.  The same questions come up . . . would par-cooking them in some way before grilling help to retain juices?

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 146193
Judie, I don't know about any 'romance of grilling', but I've done 'camp cooking' of every sort over the years, and a small barbecue is as essential a piece of on-the-equipment to me as my air compressor! ;-) I also carry a 'Max Burton' chef's burner that works on butane canisters; efficient, reliable, and very handy for cooking bacon or other 'pungent' foods outside to avoid stinking up the rig.

Red oak is my preferred fuel to barbecue with because it's what I grew up with (and it gives the best flavor, IMO), but hauling a woodpile on an RV is hardly practical! I've always used mesquite charcoal chunks (w/o additives, binders, or fillers that are found in most charcoal briquettes) in the Pyromid, and am adding a propane bottle-powered little Weber primarily because of the extremely dry conditions in my preferred camping/traveling locations in much of the west.

I often buy larger amounts or cuts of 'meat' when it's on sale at WF and use a Food Saver to package meats in meal-size portions for freezing to use at home and on the road; not only does the air removal keep the product fresh, it makes a neat package (as long s it's not overstuffed or oddly shaped) that's easy to stack in the refrigerator. When I fire up the Pyromid, I always cook extra for subsequent meals; the coals last quite a while, and meats that require slower or less cooking can be thrown on the grill after the primary 'meat' is done.

For grilled vegetables, I use a stainless steel 'grill basket'; cut the vegetables in pieces, smaller or larger according of the length of time they need to get just tender, toss them with a little olive oil or butter (butter will smoke more than olive oil) and seasoning, cover with a piece of foil if desired, and put them on the barbecue. Stir them up periodically so they cook evenly; they produce their own moisture.  And.or, cook potatoes and vegetables (and fruit; apples and or peaches with a little brown sugar, butter, walnuts or pecans, and cinnamon or baking spice makes a great dessert!) in foil packs. (I used to do a series for RVers Online called 'The Opinionated Cook'; one of the articles was on foil pack cooking. Lots of fun!)

I'm a solo traveler/camper except of rare occasions, so what I do works very well for one person. However, I really don't vary any preparation or procedures - other than adjusting amounts and tweaking the basic logistics - if I'm feeding others, too. A lot of the enjoyment is in the 'experimentation'!

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 146202
I think there are plenty of good reasons to cook outside when you can -- splatters and spills, grease, cooking odors that linger, heating the rig up unnecessarily on a warm day, even the risk of fire. The rig stays cleaner and cooler, the smoke detector can stay wherever it got installed instead of riding in one of the basement bins, the rig doesn't smell as appetizing to bears and other wildlife...
 It's not just the romance of al fresco food prep. Boiling the kettle indoors for coffee and instant oatmeal in the morning is one thing; fixing bacon and eggs or steak and onions is something I've learned from experience is best done outside the rig.
 Small propane grills = awesomeness, especially if they can accommodate a skillet or saucepan as well as a grilling surface for the steak and burgers, like the little Party Grill we've been using since the teardrop trailer days (fortunately we never caught the "cast iron dutch oven" bug that infected the rest of the tiny trailer crowd at the rallies we attended).
 I'm not as keen on charcoal for camping. The fuel is bulky, lighter fluid and/or matchlight charcoal stinks up the food, it doesn't burn as clean as gas, its hard(er) to control the temperature, there's the whole problem of dealing with the ashes so you don't start a huge wildfire, and you may not be allowed to use it during fire season in some parks and campgrounds.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 146206
in the Pyromid, and am adding a propane bottle-powered little Weber primarily because of the extremely dry conditions in my preferred camping/traveling locations in much of the west.

I remember when the Pyromid was all the rage.  A friend used his day in and day out, but I never got one.  I looked online a few months ago, and they are incredibly expensive now.  A very neat system, though.  I loved the cleverness of it!  ;->

I often buy larger amounts or cuts of 'meat' when it's on sale at WF and use a Food Saver to package meats in meal-size portions for freezing to use at home and on the road; not only does the air removal keep the product fresh, it makes a neat package (as long s it's not overstuffed or oddly shaped) that's easy to stack in the refrigerator. When I fire up the Pyromid, I always cook extra for subsequent meals; the coals last quite a while, and meats that require slower or less cooking can be thrown on the grill after the primary 'meat' is done.

For a long time, my Food Saver was out on the counter at home and used frequently, but it is in a cabinet now, as I found a satisfactory way to effect much the same results with less expense for those bags, and that take up less room in the freezer.  Now I just wrap a piece of meat in a small sandwich bag - the kind with the flip top - and then put it (and several others) into a heavy-duty plastic freezer bag, squeezing out as much air as possible.  The bag stays clean, so not much clean-up water is needed on the road.  I did the same sort of thing with the Food Saver.  This kept the bags from needing such a thorough scrubbing as when raw meat went into them.  I found, though, that when I tried to reuse the bags, the sealing was not always assured, leading to a fair amount of frustration.

For grilled vegetables, I use a stainless steel 'grill basket'; cut the vegetables in pieces, smaller or larger according of the length of time they need to get just tender, toss them with a little olive oil or butter (butter will smoke more than olive oil) and seasoning, cover with a piece of foil if desired, and put them on the barbecue. Stir them up periodically so they cook evenly; they produce their own moisture.  And.or, cook potatoes and vegetables (and fruit; apples and or peaches with a little brown sugar, butter, walnuts or pecans, and cinnamon or baking spice makes a great dessert!) in foil packs. (I used to do a series for RVers Online called 'The Opinionated Cook'; one of the articles was on foil pack cooking. Lots of fun!)

Probably unfounded, but I shy away from the foil packets these days, although in theory it is a stellar idea.  I have a grill basket with a nifty fold-in handle for storage, as well as an elaborate (and huge) griller/oven combination gizmo - both unused of course !!!  Someday . . .

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 146207
Just my preference, but I never re-use Food Saver 'bags'. I get the roll, cut off just what's needed to fit the food, and seal it. Also, I line foil (for packs) with parchment paper before putting the food in; the food doesn't stick and it doesn't touch the foil. Works for me, but everyone has different techniques! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 146227
I have the Weber Q 1000 and it's wonderful grill. Plenty of btu cooking power. It stores in the passenger front storage compartment of our 31'. Might be too large for other floor plans.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 146229
Might be too large for other floor plans.

---- Chris, I've checked out the Q1000 thoroughly (will order it shortly), and the lid is easily removed; the base and the lid (lower in the Q1000 than in the Q100) will fit separately into the compartments of the TK, so I am pretty sure that the Q1000 would fit other models, too. (The Q1200 has a taller lid, but it still comes off the same.) I plan to store the 'pins' in a ziploc taped to a leg of the base!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home