Skip to main content
Topic: Evaporative (Swamp) Cooler (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Evaporative (Swamp) Cooler
Yahoo Message Number: 146152
Hi Team LD,

The hot weather is coming and I would prefer to avoid using the A/C.  My 1992 TB, bought last fall, has the swamp cooler but it isn't getting water up to the unit.  I can trace the lines and fix the float valves but I wanted to ask first if it would be worth the trouble?

The previous owner said they never even used it.
 We do use the fan functions both for exhaust and supply (supply works great to keep the smoke alarm quiet while cooking).
 We live and camp in Southern California, Nevada and Arizona so I don't think ambient humidity will be a problem.
 Do you have any advice or fun stories to share about the clever little cooler?

Thanks, Bill

Re: Evaporative (Swamp) Cooler
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146153
There is a small valve, usually located under the sink, usually in-line with 1/4" copper tubing, which must be turned on, along with the water pump. It is designed to be inconspicuous, but easily accessible, since it must be turned off every time you're done with the cooler.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146176
Hi Steve,

I found the valve under the stove-side of the sink countertop.  Mine is frozen solid so I will have to replace it.  Or perhaps it can be cleaned...
 I was wondering if anyone has comments on the effectiveness of the swamp coolers and if they use them instead of air conditioning on hot days.
 I like untethered camping and don't want to rely on the generator.  The swamp cooler runs on 12 votls and our LD has solar panels to keep us going for days and days on 12 volts.

Are these coolers any good or just gimmicks?

Thanks all, Bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146182
We used ours a lot in California on our first Lazy Daze unit - a 1985 22-foot TK.  The next owner lived on the East Coast, thus we removed the evaporative cooler, and replaced it with a regulation air conditioner before turning the unit over.

The only complaint we had about it was that it used a lot of water if used continuously.  We spent a few weeks in a relative's driveway in Arizona in the 90's sometime, and had a continuous water hook up, so it worked out okay, but when we were on the road and boondocking, it was a bit trickier.  We found it most useful as a cooling off mechanism when we stopped for a lunch/nap break in the afternoons.  Usually at night, the weather was cool enough that it wasn't needed.

We had four 51-watt solar panels at the time, and they seemed to keep up with the need.  Bottom line is that we were happy with it, and glad to have it.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146185
Thanks Judie,  I will have to keep an eye on the water consumption :)
 I see that these units are still being made under a new name.  So I imaginge that replacement parts are available.  That's a happy find!