Skip to main content
Topic: Tongue Weight (Read 20 times) previous topic - next topic
Tongue Weight
Yahoo Message Number: 146081
What is the design tongue weight limit for the LD hitch ? I have an '06 MB.
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Re: Tongue Weight
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146082
Our 2003 FL (E450) has a maximum tongue weight of 300lbs, according the Factory manual, and should be the same on your 2006 model..
It's easy to exceed this weight with an improperly loaded trailer or by hanging too much weight on the bumper with storage trays or motorcycles. If you need to exceed the 300-lb limit, reinforcements to the bumper and its mounts needs to be done for safety.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146094
These two paragraphs are from the 2014 edition owners manual, probably applicable since the 2008 chassis upgrade:
 "This hitch is a bolted on, bumper mounted, 2" square receiver hitch. It  has a maximum rating of 350 pounds tongue weight using an 8" long 2"  square ball mount. "
 "Warning! Never exceed the hitch weight ratings. Important! Do not alter  or modify the receiver hitch. This receiver hitch was not designed for  use with a motorcycle rack or any other type heavy duty rack/storage pod  that utilize the receiver receptacle only."

Steve
2015 TK

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146095
"These two paragraphs are from the 2014 edition owners manual, probably applicable since the 2008 chassis upgrade..."

---

The manual for my 2003 TK states the same specs/limitations (noted in Steve's post) for the bumper-mounted receiver hitch.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home