Skip to main content
Topic: Traveling cross country in LD with bikes, without car? (Read 49 times) previous topic - next topic
Traveling cross country in LD with bikes, without car?
Yahoo Message Number: 146003
Hi everyone, My husband and I are planning to travel cross country in late summer with our 2004 26.5' LD and we are trying to figure out whether or not we should also bring our car along. We'll bring our bikes and would love to leave the car but we're not sure if we'll need it for running errands.

Has anyone done a longer trip bringing just the LD and bikes? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks!

Best, Linnea

Re: Traveling cross country in LD with bikes, without car?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 146004
For the first three years we travelled with our MB LD around the country with two bikes and two kayaks.  It worked out great and rented a car when we felt the need.  Much cheaper than owning or even bringing a car with you.  And...we now have a car, and even have a hitch in our eighth year of full timing.

Happy Travels! David

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 8:51 AM, "linnea.ottervik@..."  wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 146005
There's no simple or clear-cut answer to your question; each of us travels in different ways and has different requirements, interests, and travel styles.  Whether you tow a car on the cross-country jaunt depends on where you plan on going, how long you'll be at each 'stop', and what you want to see and do along the way. I don't carry a bike, so I can't comment on its usefulness, but having a car available for running around is definitely a 'plus'; there are many attractions and events that are awkward or difficult to have access to with just the rig.

I don't tow; my rig is a 24', so it's a little easier to navigate tighter areas and to find parking than a larger rig. However, if I'm in an area where using even the small motorhome for 'sightseeing' or general 'shooting around' would be a hassle (or impossible), I rent a (little) car.  It's not necessarily cheap to rent a car, but it's certainly convenient and 'freeing' to be able to leave the rig in a campground (or other) and 'goseedo' in a car.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 146006
David, it is hard to believe that more than eight years have passed since we met you in Eugene, Oregon, when you were deciding if you should give up your jobs and become vagabonds . . . and in what conveyance!  You have certainly done so many of the things that I wish to have accomplished, and my hat is off to you both for a job well done.  It seems that you certainly made the right decision in choosing your Lazy Daze !!

For those of you out there reading the Lazy Daze list and wondering if this life, and specifically this motorhome, is for you . . . well, no one can really make that decision for you, but it is my personal opinion that trying it out in a Lazy Daze can assist in being able to do it successfully.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 146007
A lot can depend on what your tolerance is for towing, and your style of travel.  The equipment requirements for towing, along with the continuing diminution of suitable vehicles to tow, have had us shy away from towing - with our Lazy Daze units, or even when we had a huge-o diesel pusher that could tow TEN THOUSAND pounds!  Madness!

Examining our travel style, it was obvious that the number of miles where we would actually hitch up a vehicle to the rear of our unit would not be commensurate with the cost to equip our units with the appropriate items to effect towing.  Adding to that the problems that I would read about, it seemed a no brainer for us to drive separately, even though our "toad" is a Sportsmobile van camper that gets, at best, 16 MPG on the road.

That particular vehicle is not towable, but does provide us with lovely accommodations for a day trip, or even an overnight or two, away from our main unit.  On its own, it provides the wherewithal to travel for a week or two in "tiny style" without too much anguish.

That said, this is what worked out for us.  Others may not find driving separately acceptable, but we managed with liberal use of good quality Motorola mobile radios.  We were actually pushed into trying this method out when we moved away from California to settle here in Arizona.  We had Gertie, and we had a small Toyota Tercel, to transport.  It is a thousand miles, and I had never driven that far in my life!  Gary had always done all of the vacation driving, and I tend to fall asleep with the drone of road noise, or other monotony.  Bad combination.

But . . . I priced what it would cost to have someone else drive the car for us . . . YIKES!  It was (back then = 1998) over $500., so I priced the Motorolas, and they came in at just a few dollars under that price.  So, I was brave - and a lot younger then - and we did it.  It wasn't so bad; almost pleasant, so we've been doing the same ever since.  The chattering on the radios helps to keep me conscious!

This is, of course, more difficult with only one person, and, in that case, I would probably opt to do what Joan does, as we tend to park and stay someplace for quite a while.  We have actually gone on two shortish trips with just the Lazy Daze alone, but both of those were for upgrades to the rig and not sightseeing.  It was a bit inconvenient from time to time, but we managed.  At the start of each trip, we just decided that if we needed transportation assistance, we would rent a car, or call a taxi.  Neither was ever necessary, so I was glad not to have dragged along the Sportsmobile, or even our sedan, on those trips.

Now it is more a matter of convenience to have the Sportsmobile along.  It provides supplemental storage, refrigeration, and a "retreat", as well as a "sag wagon" for day-long adventures in which a meal and/or nap is required.

We no longer carry bicycles, but for the ten years we had Gertie (a 1985 22-footer), we relied on bicycles for supplemental transportation, and that worked out just fine.  After retirement, though, we got lazy and went to the above-described method.  Of course an alternative is to drive a regular small car separately; the gas costs would be far less than what we incur with the Sportsmobile.  Work out your needs and intended use, and then price the equipment needed to effect it, and then stack that up against the cost of the extra fuel.  All bets are off if there is not another willing driver.  Or neither of you wants to do this at all.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 146011
Decisions, decisions. It took us 11 years to finally decide to tow. Neither of our personal cars are towable. After riding in a 2013 Fit we decided to take the plunge. Thanks to Andy' s guidance about the tow package and supplemental braking system, the Fit and LD are being fitted with Roadmaster equipment  as this is being written.

I think the discussions have pretty well covered the pros and cons. It's obvious to me that our travel and camping routine will be enhanced not to speak of the benefit of additional storage DW will have for her quilting fabric and supplies she acquires along the way.

For those considering a new Fit, it's my understanding that the 2015 model will be be equipped with an automatic CVT style transmission and will not be towable 4 down. The five speed manual will continue to be offered.

Malcolm 02BlueMB
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 146012
My wife and I have been towing a vehicle behind our various motor homes for many years. We stopped doing this since a few years ago for the convenience to park in shopping centers for groceries or wherever there is a Starbucks. We love this kind of traveling and not always having to worry about parking with a tow vehicle behind our rig. However, when we were in Quartzsite last January with the Lazy Daze group we did miss secondary transportation. Always looking for rental places for cars is not always convenient either.
 Shortly after our return home to the San Francisco Bay Area we saw some pictures of Jeanne Bold's Lazy Daze with a scooter on the back of her rig. This gave us ideas and pursued it. Although we have not traveled with it yet, we did buy one and I am currently driving it around town here with a learner's permit. Beside not being that young any longer I do enjoy riding it.
 If one shops around one can buy a scooter very reasonable. Some people buy a used one on Craigslist. After considering the pros and cons I decided to buy a new one from a local dealer. I am looking forward to get my permanent license so I can start using it with our Lazy Daze trips with my wife on the back.
 Just another thought for those weighing whether to tow or not to tow.

Aad Rommelse Fremont, CA

__
2001 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 146014
Hi Linnea,

IMHO it depends on how you like to travel and what you want to see.
 In 12 years and approaching 126,000 miles we have usually had our Jeep Wrangler in tow.  We like to spend a few days in a base camp and drive the tow car around the area.  Some days we may put on quite a few miles, and we don't have to worry about bad weather.  In places like Yellowstone, it makes it easy to take a sunset wildlife drive.  Our Jeep is set up for offroading so we can drive most anywhere.  We are often in fairly remote places where car rental is usually out of the question.  It is also nice to have the tow vehicle if we have a mechanical problem with the motorhome somewhere without cell coverage.  Though it is getting more and more rare to not get a cell signal, we still are without one at times.

YMMV, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 146015
The 'scooter' issue always follows shortly behind any discussion of towing or not towing; there have been many posts on the topic over the years.  Here are just a very few message numbers and comments/information to check out; doing a message board search will bring up more:

132271 132256 132239 122976

Message #95762 details Jon Calhoun's Vespa-hauling set-up; a follow-up message from Jon (with a photo link) is #114322.

If I were going to carry a "scooter" on the rear of my rig, I'd have essentially the same set-up as Jon Calhoun, i.e., a carrier that has *two hitch points*; see posts 95762 and 114322, among others. The single motorcycle carrier from VersaHaul is 6' long, and even with the advertised "anti-tilt" feature, a 6' long ramp with a 300+ pound load attached at a *single hitch point*, seems to me to be inherently unstable and subject to potential "twist, pitch, and end sag", even if the hitch and its attachment to the frame are capable of carrying the weight of the carrier and the bike.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 146016
Wow, thank you so very much everyone for all your thoughts and input! We really appreciate it and it has given us some good things to think about.

Thanks again!

Best, Linnea

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 146017
HI and Welcome.  Last year we traveled out west for about 5 weeks in our 27 foot mid-bath.  We did not tow and did not miss much.  We did Badlands NP, Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Fort Laramie, Rocky Mt. NP, Dinosaur NM, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, Disneyland, Santa Monica Pier, and many things in between.  We drove through smaller towns like Fort Collins CO, Estes Park CO, Jackson WY, West Yellowstone MT, and larger cities like Salt Lake City, LA, Anaheim, and through other highways and byways.  We saw and did everything we wanted and had no trouble driving or parking.  If we needed to do so, we would opt for renting a car if necessary.  How you travel is a personal decision, but I wanted to let you know that it is possible to travel this great country of ours in a 27 foot RV without a toad.  Best wishes on your trip.

Bob
2011 MB

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 146019
Thanks Judie.  It just gets better each year.  But I must say that my wife has indicated it's time to start looking for a condo or small house to spend six months.  She's beginning to miss community friends like in Eugene, and our kids and grandkids scattered around the West (which she does visit now for a month or so at a time.)  I suspect by the tenth year we will have the LD plus a small stick home as well.  "Happy Wife, Happy Life!"

Best to you, David

On Tuesday, April 29, 2014 9:51 AM, Judie Ashford  wrote:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 146020
I've traveled without and with a towed car, and I've tried carrying a bike. Here's my experience:

1. The bike proved useless as a toad substitute. There are very few campgrounds I'd want to stay in that are close enough to civilization to make it practical to ride a bike into town for groceries or to collect mail. And of course it's mainly a fair-weather mode of transportation. Bike for recreation? Fine. For errands? Not very practical, at least for me.

2. Traveling without a towed car is certainly possible, and saves a lot of money. It also makes your rig more maneuverable, since when towing, you can't back up without risking expensive damage to the towed car's front suspension. With a 23-footer, you can even fit into most parking spaces.

The drawbacks are that you will have to carefully schedule your errand runs, since once you're established at a campsite, it's a major pain to pull up stakes just to go to town for a quart of milk.

My usual practice was to do everything between campgrounds. When moving from campground A to campground B, I'd first dump and fill, then stop in the nearest town along the route and fill up with gas and propane, pick up mail, buy groceries and do laundry. Then I'd proceed to campground B. Doing all the errands on one day made "moving days" long and tiring, and I had to plan carefully in order not to run out of perishable items such as salad greens and milk in between times.

Of course if you're in hectic move-every-day "tourist mode," this may not be such a big deal to you. But few RVers can keep that up for long. Most of us soon relax into a more leisurely lifestyle, moving only every week or two.

3. Renting a car sounds like a good idea. For years I told myself that I could always rent a car if I really needed one. But I never did, because it just takes too much advance planning. Picture this: "Honey we're all out of eggs. Could you please rent a car and go get a dozen? And some coffee while you're at it."  
   Or suppose the couple in the next campsite mention that there's a concert tonight in the next town up the road, and you'd love to go... but you'd need to rent a car on an hour's notice to do it. Not likely. Unless you can hitch a ride with friends or neighbors, you're going to miss that concert. Oh, I did hitch rides with friends many times during the years when I was traveling toad-less... but I got tired of relying on others for transportation.

4. I've never traveled with a scooter, but for ten years in my forties and fifties, while living in a condo, I rode a Honda CN250 Helix scooter. I considered RVing with it, but hanging several hundred pounds off the back bumper didn't seem like the best idea from a handling standpoint... and although a large scooter can get you into town (unlike a bicycle), it's not fun to ride in wet or cold weather. (I did a fair amount of both, so I know.)  
   And needless to say, the amount of groceries you can carry on a scooter is pretty limited. Finally, if you should happen to get into an accident on a scooter or motorcycle, your chances of dying are statistically ten times higher than if you have an accident in a car. Still, a scooter or light motorcycle is much less expensive than a towed car, so it's worth considering. If you go this route, please take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Basic Ridercourse! A motorcycle is not like a car, and you'll need all the training you can get if you want to stay safe on the road.

5. As many of you know, as soon as I could afford a towed car, I bought one (a Honda Fit five years ago, traded for a Subaru Forester last month). Having a toad has expended my horizons greatly, letting me explore local attractions rather than just sit in my motorhome at my campsite, and drive into town anytime I want, without breaking camp or worrying about the cost of gas. (And that's not to mention the ability to mount my kayak on top of the car and take it to any lake in the area.)

I'm very happy with my current midbath-plus-car setup, even though I do have to carefully scope out any gas station before entering, to ensure that I'll be able to get out again without backing up. ;-) But as others have said, what works best for me may not work best for you, depending upon your traveling style.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 146021
Traveling without toad. My wife and I enjoyed Andy's response, I haven't seen my wife laugh like that for quite awhile. You sound like someone I would like to spend time with around the campfire with,  LOL Back to business, on the 27mb how do owners find the rear bed, couches, for sleeping arrangements.         Thank. Bev and Tim= "benny the dog".

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 146022
Bev and Tim:
 I'll chime in here because we're closing in on completing our 7th year of extended traveling in our mid-bath LD.  And to be clear, this has been our only RV experience.
 The Captain did do the Boy Scout camping thing a few times and we did "camp" while on photograph safari in Africa, but no RV-ing.
 We ramble 7 months of the year in our LD, generally coast-to-coast, but twice have spent the winter in south Florida.  We keep a small condo as home base.
 We sleep on the couches in the rear, pulled together as an oversize king...we find them comfortable.  When we scoped out the LDs at the Mothership, we went with the idea of a 27' rear queen, but came to realize that the MB was more suited to us.  We never planned to sleep in the cabover queen due to needing to get up (each of us) in  the night on separate schedules...sleeping on the sofas, heads to rear-feet to front, allows each of us to do that without waking the other.
 Our 9 1/2 week maiden voyage across the country was without a car and our first winter out we rented a car.  However, we realized that we needed to tow and outfitted our Saturn L300 with a tow kit and have a Blue Ox tow system that works very well for us.
 We like to see museums, galleries and gardens and other attractions and sites, often in big cities.  Having a car makes that much easier (do not ever attempt to enter the Getty Center in LA in an RV).
 Having said all of this, what is great for us may not be suitable to what you want to do/see.  For many folks, hitting nature's trail and enjoying remote campsites is the ticket, and a car just doesn't add to the experience.
 If you read enough of the LWALD postings from the past, you'll understand that we have a wide  range of interests and styles represented, and nobody does it wrong, everybody does it just right.

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing"

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 7:24 AM, Tim And Bev  wrote:
2006 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 146023
Bev and Tim,
 Between bad knees and backs, claustrophobia, and access to the bathroom we've always slept in the rear of our MB (possibly a total of 4 years worth of nights).  We use a king size RV sleeping "bag" (plus a comforter in cold weather) for easier conversion of the rear between lounge and bedroom.  We have found the LD's cushions to be fine for us and have never tried a memory foam pad.  Unlike many, we sleep across the rear, with me at the back and Barbara nearer the bathroom door.  To us, this gives us even support without sleeping along any of the cushion crevasses. Depending on where we are and what we are doing, we may leave the rear as a bedroom or convert it back into a lounge for the day.

Again, YMMV, Art
http://arts-work.blogspot.com (currently near very rainy Williamsburg, VA)
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 146024
I spent a couple of winters without a car and with my 23.5 foot LD.  I did fine, but I cheated, I carried a 125cc Yamaha Scooter on a rear rack.  This worked out great, provided that I didn't want to go to the store on a rainy day!

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 146025
In our eight years of full timing, my wife and I have slept on one couch in the back (pulled out) to a small double bed size. Cozy but workable.  She makes up the bed in the evening.  I make it back to the couch in the morning.  Easy!  A bit like having a Japanese apt where the living room serves many uses.  We love the LD MidBath lifestyle.
David

On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 4:24 AM, Tim And Bev  wrote:

Zip Car - Traveling cross country in LD
Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 146026
We were back in DC/NYC two weeks ago, and had a chance to rent a Zip car for a day to visit relatives out by Dulles.
 I wasn't sure how well it would work out, but we had seen the same rental cars in SF on many occasions, and thought the concept appeared sound. So anyway, we got the paperwork completed a few weeks before we took off for the east coast and were good to go.
 Our particular car was located in a parking garage across from our hotel, so we walked over, jumped in and took off. How did we get a key? You don't - the card they send after processing your application has some kind of RFID device that you simply wand over the UPC on the windshield and voila'; ditto for starting the vehicle.
 The car was a nice, low mileage Nissa Sentra, so no complaints there. DC has all kinds of toll roads, so as I was sitting in the cash line, DW called ZC customer service to see if they had a built in fast pass type of scanner. Well, of course they did - I could see it on the windshield once they confirmed over the phone. So, thereafter, we just 'zipped' around through the automated tolls.
 But, it gets better. You're supposed to keep the gas tank 1/2 full, but you don't need to use your own cash. Rather, they have another RFID device for the credit card readers at major gas stations. Once again, wand and go.
 By the time we returned to DC the next day at the end of our 24 hr period (I think you can rent as low as 2 hr increments), I was a raving Zip car fan-boi. It's a really well thought out concept which is probably only made possible by the 'Net and mobile devices.
 I think the full day rate is a little more expensive than a 'normal' rental place, but the simple go & drive concept is killer. For instance, I think we would have had to go to Reagan Nat'l to get a regular rental car. In addition, the partial day availability is really great.
 I was so stoked, we looked into a Zip car location around the corner from our hotel in NYC. I've driven in/out of the city on a few occasions in the past, and was thinking it be would fun to 'zip' around for a few hours on a quiet Sunday am drive, but we ran out of time from doing so many other things.
 Still, a great concept and something people may consider as part of the rental car option sans towing.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 146027
Aad:  we've been traveling 6 years now with our Vespa 250 on a rack. Has worked out great coast to coast. Nice to hear others considering this option. -- Jon ('06TK)
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 146028
Jon, in my message #146015, I posted a few message numbers re: the 'scoot' topic.  Your hitch explanation/review and photos message numbers are listed, and, IMO, are 'must-reads' when considering the safest, strongest, and most functional mode to haul a 300+-pound item on the rear of a rig, particularly on a 27' (or a 31') with a longer rear overhang than the 24'.  (Jon's 24' uses a carrier with a two-point mount.)

If I were to carry a scooter (with sufficient displacement to keep up with traffic,i.e., 250cc, let alone ride two up), there would be *no way* that I would use a single-point hitch mount and carrier; IMO, a 'one holer' would not do the job for this size/weight of two-wheeler. I've seen plenty of 'kludge' lash-ups to carry scooters on the backs of rigs, even light 50cc bikes, and I stay well away from them on the road.  The driver (and/or passenger) are very likely unaware of the 'bike' bouncing and swaying; unless they have a rear camera (or drive separately), how are they going to see it? The torque on a single-point hitch connection caused by a heavy, 'long' load is *significant*; physics!

As ever, YMMV!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 146029
Joan,
 I very much appreciate your reference to discourage a single point carrier  for a scooter. Although I have such a carrier (not used yet) I fully agree with you and plan to modify it. Thanks for pointing this out.

John,
 As has been pointed out in other posts, traveling without a tow vehicle does have its disadvantages. As I mentioned before we have towed from the mid-seventies until a few years ago. Not being full-timers we like the convenience of not towing. The earlier referred to ZIP car could be an alternate solution for us and others where a scooter is not the practical.
Considering our budget we decided not to purchase the more expensive Vespa but a cheaper Chinese-made BMS Heritage 150 cc (actually 149) for a total cost of $ 1,756.-- including California DMV, sales tax and $ 65.-- delivery fee to our home. This was not just a crated unit but assembled and ready to ride.
 Despite our ages we both still enjoy new challenges in life. Although still driving on a learner's permit I enjoy riding our scooter. Do we plan to ride it on the interstate? Absolutely No!  New challenges and activities, such as sailing help us to fight our aging. We truly try to enjoy life our way and when the time comes to turn in the keys we can look back with satisfaction. However, NOT YET!!!!!!!

Happy trails to all.

Aad
2001 MB

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 146030
I generally carry my 125 cc Yamaha, but spouse and I have carried his Aprilia SportCity, a 250cc bike.  The rack we use is a heavy duty VersaHaul rack on a single point but heavy duty hitch.  It doesn't move a bit.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 146031
I would certainly agree with you that it would not be safe or wise to carry a 250cc scooter on the hitch provided by Lazy Daze. However, if a welding shop could fashion a Class III or IV hitch on the LD that would be different. We carry a 250cc Honda Elite single-point on the back of our Jeep Grand Cherokee, but it has a factory Class IV trailer towing package. The scooter weights right at 300 lbs. with a full tank of gas, and the hitch is rated for 750 lbs, so it is well within the load rating for the hitch. We had a rail made for the scooter by a welding shop that plugs right into the hitch. Then we bought an aluminum ramp that sets right on the end of the rail to load and unload the scooter.
 The only problem we have had with the arrangement is that the scooter covers up the Jeep's tail lights. To solve that problem we bought some of those portable tail lights with the magnet base. They plug into the trailer socket on the Jeep. That wouldn't be a problem on a motorhome because it is much wider.
 We used this carrier on the back of a SOB motorhome for 12 years, but it had a Class III hitch. The Jeep is now 22 years old, and we have never had any problem carrying the scooter on either vehicle in all those years. But the hitch has to be rated to carry that kind of load.

Dick

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 146033
Like others that have commented I full timed without a toad for about a year and then considered a small trail bike as opposed to the toad. But handling issues from hanging 300 pounds off a rear hitch really concerned me. So I opted for the toad and it made everything so much more convenient. With a properly set up tow bar like a Roadmaster, Blue Ox, etc. there is really very little effect on handling because tongue weight is almost non existent. But be warned it will spoil you. I was without my Toad recently for about 6 weeks while it was getting engine/exhaust upgrades and repairs and I really missed it. Having picked it up today I am pleased again. I haven't met anyone yet that regretted getting a Toad. Good luck and happy trails whatever you decide.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad back home again.