Skip to main content
Topic: 12VDC Crock Pot (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 12VDC Crock Pot
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145804
I have a regular electric Crock-ette made by Rival (~$15.) that is 85 watts.  Same size as shown below.  It works beautifully.  I don't know how a 12-volt unit would compare.  I use mine about twice a week.  It does a fabulous job on beans, meat, potatoes, soups, makes wonderful bone broth - really anything you can do in a regular-sized Crock-Pot.

Highly recommended!  ;->

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145806
Looking at the reviews on Amazon for the RoadPro 12 V slow cooker, here are a few comments that jumped out at me:

"It plugged straight into the cigarette lighter. It did however manage to drain our car battery in about 10 minutes."

"The first time he used it, the plug melted in the outlet. No crock pot. No hot food. No outlet (it was damaged by the meltdown)."

"worked great for about two weeks then the plug melted. I called amazon and they sent me another one. It worked great for about a week then it just quit. Amazon again sent me another. I have had it for about a week and last night the plug melted on it also."

"Useless, keeps blowing 30 amp fuses in vehicle, sole item plugged into outlet"

"after only having it for a month, the plug has melted."

"After using it only a few times in a month, the slow cooker quit."

"I tested it before a road trip and it filled my car with smoke and a horrible burning odor. Needless to say, I didn't use it on the road trip."

Granted, there are also people who like the appliance. But these comments (and others in the same vein) tell me that this product is cheaply made, with poor quality control, and is a major power hog--a dangerous combination.

In general, electrical cooking appliances require a lot of power... and 12 V outlets are not designed to deliver a lot of power. There's a better way to do slow cooking while on the road, but it costs more. It's the super-insulated "thermal cooker," which works like a Crock-Pot but uses no electricity. You can read about these devices in my Eureka article on slow cooking. Yes, the purchase cost is a lot higher than a 12 V RoadPro device. But in this case, you get what you pay for.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145807
Joan, Andy, I just finished reading the reviews on Amazon. I think this product is an accident waiting to happen so I appreciate both of your inputs.
I am going to try the Nissan thermal cooker Andy pointed out. Seems like it's worth the extra money for peace of mind and no safety concerns. I can always return it if not my cup of tea.
Thank you for keeping me from making a big mistake.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad

Thermal Cooker
Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145810
Andy, Where did you find the slow cooker for 99 bucks? The cheapest I can find is 149.00. Maybe the price has gone up since you purchased yours.

Re: Thermal Cooker
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145811
"Andy, Where did you find the slow cooker for 99 bucks?" On Amazon, here. ("Saratoga Jacks 5.5L Thermal Cooker Deluxe") This is not the exact model I own, but from what I read, it performs just as well.

As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145813
Andy, Thank you. I ended up buying the Nissan Thermal Cooker on Ebay for a little more. Its a little smaller and lighter. My 23.5 is already overloaded. Need to watch every pound. But I won't give up Ice Cream LOL.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145816
This one from Camping World is similar to the one we've used for  the last 5 or 6 years.
http://www.campingworld.com/search/index.cfm?Ntt=12+volt+slow+cooker&N=0&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=primary&Nty=1&Ntpc=1 Draws about 20 amps.  Ours is connected to our coach batteries, and we  use it when we are on the road.  Load it in the morning, and supper's  usually ready when we stop for the night. Had one problem with the plug,  the positive wire broke.  Never a meltdown problem.  All of the  cigarette liter plug problems I have ever had have been due to poor connection  in the socket, itself. Gotta have the plug stuffed in hard and tight, then twist  it a little.

RonC

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145820
"This one from Camping World is similar to the one we've used for the last 5 or 6 years."

For better or worse, that's the same RoadPro cooker that we've been discussing, and whose Amazon reviews I quoted. Only difference is that Camping World sells it for about a third more money than Amazon. (Surprise! ;-)

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 145822
Has anyone here tried a solar oven?  The concept seems cool.  When I finally get a chance to take a longer camping trip I want to try it.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 145830
"Has anyone here tried a solar oven?  The concept seems cool.  When I finally get a chance to take a longer camping trip I want to try it."

There was a Life on Wheels instructor couple, Dave and Sandy Baleria, who used a solar oven at the Life on Wheels that I had attended several years ago.  I inquired about it and they said they loved it.  They also gave me the name of Tom Vineski and he sent me the following e-mail.  Again this was a while ago and I think Dave Baleria has passed away:

Hi Monica,

Thanks for the inquiry. Attached is a brief infomation sheet on the basics of solar cooking with the SunOvens International oven. We've been promoting and using ours since 1996 and find it to be a very efficient of solar cooking appliance and one that is very practical and durable for the RV lifestyle. I believe the attached sheet will answer many of the questions you might have. But if not, please contact us with your questions or concerns.

For more information: check out www.sunoven.com. Our price is the same, $189 plus shipping and you can order with a check through us, or directly from the factory. If you call in the order to 800-408-7919, we can be credited with the referral.

Thanks again and please get back with any questions.

Happy trails and best regards,

tom vineski

ALTERNATIVES, Solar Energy Systems 800-652-0826 solarnomads@...
Monica
2017 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 145849
An alternative site is:
http://shop.solarcookers.org/?view=about
 It was started by Robert Metcalf, microbiology professor at Calif State U. Sacramento who has been pushing these since the late 70's- the last millennium.  He used to serve solar cooked lunches on the quad.   The site has products, kits and directions for making your own.
Thanks for reminding me.

From: "monbri22@..." To:  lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 8:36 AM Subject: Re: [LD] Re: Thermal Cooker
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE