Skip to main content
Topic: This seam... another eternabond question (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
This seam... another eternabond question
Yahoo Message Number: 145729
I am about to start.  I am taking the slow approach.  Normally I would tackle the tougher part of a job first and then finish with the easy stuff.  Because I've never done anything like this I am starting with the passenger side, side seam.  It is just a long straight run.  I noticed that the factory did not use the same sealer on the seam pictured (the front cap meeting the aluminum)  as the roof.  I'm sure because it would be an ugly eye sore as it curls over the side.  My question is what is used on this seam?
 http://dac.smugmug.com/Cars/Individual-cars/Lazy-Daze-improvements-gadgets/Sealing-the-LD/i-3cF3WXJ/S

I am still unsure if I will use the tape around the vents (think so) and other things.  I think I will use the self leveling sealer on the solar collector mounts.  I would like to hear any comments from those that have done the job.
Thanks in advance.
John 07 MB (in green)
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Re: This seam... another eternabond question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145736
I have posted some pictures of my efforts on the passenger side.  The gallery is here: http://dac.smugmug.com/Cars/Individual-cars/Lazy-Daze-improvements-gadgets/Sealing-the-LD/ The site's comment feature is enabled and comments on the photo are welcome.  I am more interested in comments on how to do the roof than comments on the photos but all are welcome.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145751
"My question is what is used on this seam? http://dac.smugmug.com/Cars/Individual-cars/Lazy-Daze-improvements-gadgets/Sealing-the-LD/i-3cF3WXJ/S

I am still unsure if I will use the tape around the vents (think so) and other things. "

John Would have responded sooner but this month's LD Caravan was in a cell-free area.
 Cover the joint shown with a thin strip of Eternabond Tape. It will not be that noticeable. Paint it if you want.
 The sealant, for the vents, is between the roof and the vent, something you can't replace, all you can do is protect it from the sun. Covering the existing sealant with tape can be difficult.  I find it better and easier to topcoat the existing sealant, after cleaning, with either a coat of 3M 5200 or Dicor self-level lap sealant.
Dicor is a lot cheaper and seems to hold up fine over time. What I use depends on what I have on hand.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145754
Thanks.  I knew from reading the site you were camping.  Ted replied by e-mail and was also helpful.  Thanks for your write up in other places.  That was very helpful and one of the reasons I decided to do it myself.

Hope everyone had a good time of the LD Caravan.
John