Skip to main content
Topic: Recommendations for car shield? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Recommendations for car shield?
Yahoo Message Number: 145713
We're just getting our tow package put on. What kind of tow shield do you recommend for the toad? Suggestions on a best product or shop site? Your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks Wendy
2002 MB

Re: Recommendations for car shield?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145717
Also, I have used both a shield and the P-A-T - in fact, both at the same time. Dealing with the shield-type protector was just too cumbersome at the end of the day. It was bulky and always in the way. The P-A-T folds up and is easy to store. Despite using both devices for a year or so, I still wound up with minute pitting on the windshield but never have had any large spots. I think there is so much turbulence created between the LD and the car that pitting happens regardless of the device unless one covers the windshield. And I travel in the West where there is always an abundance of grit on the roads. I also had a 3M bra put on the front of the CR-V when it was new.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145718
Thanks, Cris.  I was reading on another site, that the shield type protectors get very dirty (instead of the car!), which makes them messy to handle. In addition it said the windshield really should be cleaned each time before putting on a shield, to prevent grit from rubbing between glass and protector. Has this been your experience, or are these downsides over stated? Wendy
2002 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145719
Wendy--I second Chris' recommendation for a PAT.  We have been using one for about 5 years.  It's low tech, but I prefer to think of it as "elegant simplicity".  We live in Oregon, with real winters and a complete, state-wide ban just lying in wait on the road to smash your windshield.  In over 50 years of licensed driving, I never had a damaged windshield until I moved to Oregon 10 years ago.  Since then, one car has had the windshield replaced and the second windshiled was hit and has a nice "snowflake" set of cracks.  Our other car has also suffered one winshield damage incident, resulting in another glass "snowflake".  All these were suffered wihen driving the vehicles, not towing.  With the PAT we have had not a single bit of damage to the tow vehicles (the one with the replaced windshield).
 Suffice it to say that when the perimeter bungee and the spreader bar broke (not at the same time) last year,  I fashioned a new spreader bar (one piece) from Home Depot materials and replaced the perimeter bungee.  The tow skirt will wear out in the next couple of years, and I will buy a new one from the manufacturer.

Ted

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145720
Oops.  "...state-wide ban on the use of salt on roads.  As a result of this policy, we have gravel on the roads lying in wait...."  Ted

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145724
We've been debating getting one, and are leaning toward doing so before we take delivery at the end of the month.
I checked the website and found  "Group discounts         available...call for details." Maybe if enough of us try, we can get a discount.  I will call in the morning- maybe they answer on Saturdays.

From: "chorst_2000@..." To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:42 PM Subject: [LD] Re: Recommendations for car shield?
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Re: Recommendations for car shield? Now Protect-A-Tow
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145730
Ted, my tow skirt/apron began to fray and unthread at the corners and a few other spots and I took it to a vehicle upholstery shop and they reinforced and sewed up the bad spots. Think it cost $45.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145738
Thanks, Chris.  Didn't think to try to repair it. Just for the skirt, the manufacturer quotes $200.  Ours has holes in the middle, probably from scraping the hitch on steep driveways, so I don't know if it is repairable, but I'll try your suggestion.  Ted

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145742
Yeah, when our bungee broke didn't know it. Arrived at our destination to find the skirt missing and the support pole damaged but still hanging on. We went without for a bit but then decided to build our own. A friend had one and we used that for making measurements. Build a support pole from PVC and bought some sun fabric from Home Depot from the garden department and that has worked well.

Jim C

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145755
Of course, when I posted this it was after COB Friday.  Talked with the folks this morning.
 Standard size is $219.95 + $23 'expedited' shipping.  Express shipping is $36.
Discount is 10% in lots of 3 or more with consolidated shipping to a single address.  On average, a 3 item purchase would save about $30 per.   Considering the cost of gas to pick it up, doesn't seem quite worth it for me.  If there are 2 other LD owners within $15 gas cost miles of El Dorado Hills, CA it might work.   Will be ordering on Thursday anyway.
Joel

From: joel wiley To: "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Friday, April 11, 2014 9:20 PM Subject: Re: [LD] Re: Recommendations for car shield?
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE