Skip to main content
Topic: Proper care of LD when living in one spot for 1-3 months? (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Proper care of LD when living in one spot for 1-3 months?
Yahoo Message Number: 145645
We've never stayed in one spot for more than one week, but now we need to live in an RV park in the Bay area for 1-3 months.  What should we do differently to care for our 2004 RB?

1.  Tires/suspension/hydraulic levelers.  When we store the coach, the tires are pumped to 80# and the levelers are retracted.  In the RV park modest leveling is required, so the levelers are currently extended enough to level and support the weight of the coach at all 4 points.  The tires touch the ground (half pavement, half gravel).  Is this arangement ok for 1-3 months?  Note:  the original Ford rear suspension was replaced with air bag system when coach was new.  Air bags deflate when levelers are deployed.  FYI:  tire covers are deployed.

2.  Sewage tanks.  We've heard that with sewer hookups, some people leave the dump valves open all the time.  Our view is that it is better, for a variety of reasons, to keep the valves closed and dump when tanks are full, as we do normally when traveling.  Is that the right policy?  
3.  Fresh water.  We are hooked to city water.  One very senior member of this group never hooks up to city water.  He reasons that if the plumbing lines/valves fail, an unlimited amount of water will enter the coach until the disaster is discovered.  How real is this risk?  Should we revert to tank and pump use only?  
4.  Solar.  Should the solar converter me turned off completely while on shore power?  I ask because the panel has a dry campiing / shore power switch and also an on/off switch.  It implies perhaps that puting the converter on in the shore power setting and the main switch in the on position is a "legal" combination.  Right now, the solar converter is in the off position and completely shut down, with power coming solely from the pedestal.  FYI, the main converter is an upgrade to 70 amps, with multistage "intelligent" charging (same one Larry W. installed and documented).  The batteries are AGM.

4.  Generator.  Obviously cannot be exercised in RV park.  We normally do it religiously every 4-6 weeks.  Should we go to the trouble of pulling the coach out of the park to exercise it, or can we, just this once, let it go for 1-3 months?  Note:  just before entering the RV park, I added Stabil to the gas tank and filled the tank to the top.  Forgot to run generator to pull stabilized fuel through the system.  I will ask about running it for 15 minutes to do that.  I have a "Genturi", which is a portable chimney for the generator exhaust that expels the deadly CO vertically above the coach roof.

5.  Chassis.  Already mentioned gas stabilization.  Should I leave the chassis battery connected or should it be disconnected?  Any other special care for it?

This is all I can think of, but would appreciate advice for anything I have overlooked.  Thought this might be a useful thread for others in our situation.  Thanks--Ted

Re: Proper care of LD when living in one spot for 1-3 months?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145647
The begin with, I would park it, level it, hook up the sewer hose and shore power and have a cup of coffee. There aren't a lot of special things to worry about.
 Never leave the black tank valve open. Let the tank get about 3/4 full before you dump it. Otherwise you are going to have a big problem with solids in the tank. Optional on the grey water. I generally leave it open so I can take long showers without worrying about it. Once in a while let it fill up so you can get a good flush of the tank and hose. Never have both valves open at the same time.
 I never worried about the water hookup, but to be safe, follow others advice to fill the tank with a hose and use your internal pump.
 Never had solar, so can't offer anything there, but if you are hooked up to shore power what would be the point of leaving it on?
 Might be a good idea to let the generator run for a while. Once should be enough.
 Don't worry about the chassis battery. It should be OK like it is. Not sure if your inverter will charge the chassis battery. I would carry my little Battery Tender charger and leave it hooked up to the chassis battery all the time. It's a smart charger, and can't overcharge the battery.

Dick

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145650
"I would park it, level it, hook up the sewer hose and shore power and  have a cup of coffee.  There aren't a lot of special things to worry  about."

Ted

Richard's advice is good, 1-3 months isn't that long a time.
If you do want to hook up to the city water supply, buy a better quality pressure regulator, one with a gauge on it so you can make sure the pressure is at 45 psi or lower. Example below.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Valterra-Adjustable-Water-Regulator-p/88-1457.htm During our infrequent stays in parks, we always run off the water pump and fill the tank every few days.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145662
When we fulltimed, we frequently stayed for several months in one spot without undue concern.  We tried to run the generator during down times - like when a neighbor moved on, and another one had not arrived - that sort of thing.  We always use from the tank, running the water into the tank through a water softener and filter system.  We also make it a habit to shut off the pump switch before leaving the rig.

Twice we have seen rigs that had water flowing out from their rig door or compartment because they had a problem with malfunction.  One was a human brain malfunction.  Our next-door neighbor started filling his tank, and then took off in the car to walk his dogs in a nearby park while leaving the fill going on.  GONG!  Fortunately, we were walking by soon after it was filled more than to the brim, and were able to get it turned off before it did too much damage.

Another time, a travel trailer spent several days with one end up on quite a number of blocks to drain the interior.  That must have been especially unpleasant.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145672
And be sure to turn off the water pump when you leave the LD for more than a few hours. Water lines/connections do fail and you could suffer water damage. I have been doing this fairly religiously after seeing the results of a failure at the Golden Caravan in '06.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145673
Seeing the unfortunate results does prompt one to be more vigilant.  On the occasions where we stayed hooked up to the water system in a campground, we would turn off the outside connecting water faucet.  Maybe not 100% foolproof, but it would need to be a real big failure to let water through with the faucet turned off, I would think.

We got sloppy about doing this when we were going out for just a walk, but after a while, it became such a routine that I could hardly leave the rig without my hand flying up to the control panel as I passed it on the way out!  Sort of like the reflex one acquires over the years to turn off the light when leaving a room.

Virtual hugs,

Judie http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145674
Even more hazardous than leaving the water on is leaving your awning out while you go shopping or whatever.  If the wind comes up while you are gone it's going to be a really expensive outing.  Or course the water will do a lot more damage, but it is much more likely that you will lose your awning.

Dick

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145675
The new pushbutton awnings might be useful, but for the most part, we just ignore the fact that we have one.  Way more trouble than it is worth, IMHO.

Virtual hugs,

Judie

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145676
Judie,
 Even when you do turn off the pump when you leave your rig, pump areas need to be checked out for leaks periodically. They do wear out and could create a leak. Even the tiny leaks can create damage over a period of time if going unnoticed. We were fortunate to find out
2001 MB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145680
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful observations and advice.  You have convinced me to stop connecting to city water and revert to tank and pump all the time.  Really glad I asked.
 Also appreciate confirmation to dump grey and black water when full and not leave valves open when sewer hookup is available.  'Nuff said on that topic.
 Called AM Solar on the "dry camping / shore power" switch question.  Only reason to have solar converter on with other switch set to "shore power" is in case of power loss at the pedestal when away for an extended time.  "Shore power" setting will provide a trickle charge until power is restored.
 On the tires/levelers/suspension, I think I will pump the tires up to 80# as when storing.  Can't think why that would be a bad idea.
 I am going to run the generator for 20-30 minutes to be sure I pull stablized gas into the carburetor and then one more full exercise session, if we stay here 3 months.
 As Larry said, park it, level it, and have a cup of coffee.  Ah, I think the coffee is about ready.,  Thanks again--Ted
 PS:  I never want to hear the word "awning" again.  We know the cardinal rule, and STILL left it up in Death Valley a year ago while we attended a ranger program.  We returned to find it in an unrecognizable, ugly, twisted, and mangled condition.  We limped down to the Mothership for a replacement.  Cost of the "free" ranger program?  $1,100.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145681
Correction.  The "keep-it-simple-and-have-a-cup-of-coffee" remark was Dick's, with a second from Larry.  Sorry for the error.  Ted

Re: Turning off water pump
Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 145691
For extra protection, I placed a battery operated water leak alarm by the water pump which is under the queen bed in a 30'IB. I change the battery each spring when I dewinterize. I don't remember the brand, but Googling "water leak alarms" brings up many options.

Chris 2002 30' IB
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 145710
Grreat idea, Chris.  Didn't know they existed.  Thanks--Ted

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 145711
You must have missed my correction message..  Again, sorry not to assign credit accurately.  Ted

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 156122
On a 26 ft 1994 midbath can you use the
 Battery Tender 021-0156 Battery Tender Plus 12V Battery Charger True Gel Cell Model