Skip to main content
Topic: Water damage on 1992 LD should we buy it? (Read 34 times) previous topic - next topic
Water damage on 1992 LD should we buy it?
Yahoo Message Number: 145632
We just looked at a 1992 22' LD and we found water damage on both sides of the entry door from about the latch down... the paneling was especially soft on the front side. Also current wet & some black mold on the driver's side of the upper bunk under the mattress. It does not seem to be coming from the window because it is a little farther forward. Does anyone know if these areas are easy to fix. I mean not just dry out but actually fix the damage, prevent future water getting in and make sure there isn't mold hiding in the walls etc. We could smell the evidence of mold especially when getting up in the bunk....Are these areas common for water damage on these? There are other evidences of age on her but, we really like the overall unit....and there just isn't many LD on the east side of the Mississippi! We are in Michigan...would you recommend taking the chance on trying to fix her?

Janie

Re: lifewithalazydazerv
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145633
I can't advise on the repairs but I would say to balance the price plus the cost of repairs against coming out here to California and getting a nice dry one.

Good luck and let us know your decision, Bill

Re: lifewithalazydazerv
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145634
Our LD from Arizona has developed some leaks now that it's in a wetter climate.  We are going to have to have the roof and windows resealed.  We just got a bid for both from our local rv repair place of $2300.  Called camping world and got bid of $750 for roof only.  They need to see before bidding windows.  Does any one have experience with them?

Cindy

Re: Water damage on 1992 LD should we buy it?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145635
Depending on how handy you are and how many tools you have any repair could be done.  Lazy Daze RVs are wood frames with the skin over top.  Given what you describe you would have to find the leak(s), replace the paneling, insulation and likely have to replace the some wood framing as well. That is a big project.

I would walk away but I am not good with woodworking.  I could learn but don't want to sink that kind of time into a project when I could spend it camping.

I flew to Southern CA for a dry one.  The drive home was a trip to remember.

John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145636
Walk no RUN away from any RV with water damage! This could easily turn into a nightmare of repairs. You will spend huge $$$$ trying to fix this. You were warned.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad in surgery.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145638
"Should we buy it"

Having some experience with repairing leaky LDs, with the visible damage reported, expect to find much more.
My informed advice is to keep on looking.
If you are very patient, have good woodworking talents and don't mind breathing mold spores, it could be a good project for a couple of years. Do not underestimate how much labor and money you will ultimately spend, the  potential heartbreak or the plain nasty conditions you will be working in. This isn't pleasant work.
Do yourself a favor by continuing to save your money and to keep looking for an LD in good shape.
One bit of advice, when you find one that you like, get it inspected by a pro.
A couple hundred dollars spent upfront could save you thousands down the road.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145643
So the consensus is if a LD has any water leakage, they are worthless and should be scrapped ? Wonder how many have never experienced some leakage ?

Dave W
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145644
There is a world of difference between just noticing a leak and fixing it, and one that has been allowed to continue for several years.

Dick

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145646
The "fun" thing about water damage is you never know how much and how bad it is until you have every thing opened up, have discovered all the rot and either removed it, treated or replaced it and worked your way to good solid wood.  Hopefully, by then you have also discovered the source of the leak other wise you get to do it all over again and again.  If you have enough time, money and almost any thing can be fixed, but will it be worth it?  By the way don't forget to look for blistering paint on the skin caused by water under the skin between the aluminum and the plywood.  Good lick what ever you do.  Gene

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 145649
We fell in love with a 1999 24' travel trailer and bought without due diligence.
I added a compressor, saws, nail guns, staples and a number of other tools to my repertoire afterwards.
I learned to look closely, and how to walk away.
If you are willing to rebuild 60% of the rig and have the skills to do so, go ahead and consider it.
For myself, I'd get an 11 foot pole, and still not touch it.
JMHO joel

From: "cjafolkert@..." To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, April 5, 2014 4:07 PM Subject: [LD] Water damage on 1992 LD should we buy it?
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 145651
Never any water leakage in my 01 LD. This is one of the reasons I sold my SOB and went with LD. The later models without front overcab windows are less prone to leakage. Using good sealant and covering roof seams with Eternabond seems to help. The bottom line is if it leaks, stay away. Leaks are for geeks LOL.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad in surgery.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 145652
What's the feeling on an interior leak, say from the sink faucet line. Would you still stay away? I'm considering a vehicle that has no exterior leaks, but apparently has a leak at the faucet hose. Presumably the leak can be fixed. But do I need to worry as much about the damage it might have caused? Not sure how long it leaked. The interior otherwise is in excellent condition. The unit is old - 1989. You wouldn't know it from the condition of the interior. But the leak gives me some pause.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 145653
I would not say that they are worthless. It all depends on where and how obvious the damage is and how skillful a buyer is. If water damage is apparent all over the rig it may not be worth-while to buy it. However, if the price is right and one has the skills I would do a thorough inspection for soft spots all around the coach in the ceiling areas, near the wall intersections beside the apparent damaged areas, as well as around the A C unit, vents and windows. Again some woodworking skills are a must to attempt such a project.
 Although the Lazy Daze is a well-built coach it is a relative simple-built coach. Last year I had to do a major roof repair to a family member's Lazy Daze as a result of an A C unit being pushed through the roof. They found out that overhead structures need to be respected. Even the steel tubing was bent down. It was either repairing it for them or having it declared a total loss. I even had fun doing the repairs. Needless to say that I did not get paid for the labor. But what does one not do for one's daughter. lol.

Good luck with your decision.

Aad Rommelse

__
2001 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 145654
With any RV LD or otherwise why would you bother with something that had a water leak? Ask yourself do I need these problems complications? Why not find another RV without these problems? Get a sound dry unit, relax, have a glass of wine, and enjoy life.
Keep it simple.
Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee toad getting pumped up.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 145655
It seems that leaks and water damage are the norm around here. We have looked at 5 RVs and all have had water leaks....even though I was told each time there were no leaks or water damage. We do not have a huge budget to work with, but even the two year old travel trailer we looked at had water damage. We are getting very discouraged! I guess Michigan winters and general weather take their toll.

Does anyone have any advice on proper maintenance for solar panels in areas that get a lot of snow and some hail? We do not have a place to park it indoors... The insurance company put a new top on our current camper 3 ½ yrs ago because of hail damage. We like the idea of solar....

Janie

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 145656
There has been a lot of speculation and opinions on this subject.  As the owner of the unit involved, I can fill you all in with details as they are known after a day of working on my Lazy Daze.

First, I'd like to say that Janie and her husband really knew what they were doing.  They took there time and went through the unit in a way that I should have done a year ago when I bought the motorhome.  They are very nice folks and did a thorough job with their inspection.

The main concern is a soft spot they found at the bottom and to the left of the entry door.  It's something I should have caught last year when I bought the unit.  However, it probably would not have changed my mind about buying this particular Lazy Daze TK.  It was just what I was looking for.  I'm an amateur boat builder and restorer.  My wife and I just finished restoring a Herreshoff H-28.  It's a 28', 1952 cruising sailboat.  We had to gut the interior and had to deal with much rot in places that were not given the proper ventilation.  On a boat, one always expects theinterior will get wet, so you make sure there is ventilation so drying will take place.

I spent most of the afternoon tearing out the offending material in my Lazy Daze.  There is a strip of 1x3 plywood that is used between the door jamb and the bulkhead behind the passenger seat.  That strip is approximately 3' long running vertically along the door jamb and is flush to the bulkhead.  About 2 feet up from the floor there is rot at the edge against the door of this strip of plywood.  It starts small and by the time it gets to the floor it's about 2/3's across the strip.  It took some digging, but I've got all the rot out.  Fortunately, the rot did not go all the way to the bulkhead.  Next, I'm going to take out the ply that has not rotted.  That will be a bit more difficult, but to do the job right I'll need to get the entire frame piece out and replace it.  I've got some marine grade ply (1088 BS for those of you who know about such things), some teak and some white oak to make a new piece.  When that is done, I'll let it sit a few days.  During that time I'll make sure I have hot air blowing on everything to make sure every thing is dry.  Once I get everything out I'll decide which type of wood I'll use. (It'll probably be the ply.)

On the outside, on the piece that covers the corner (not sure what you would call it) there is an obvious spot where the caulking has dried and cracked.  It's, right where the rotting started.  I'll dig out the old caulking, clean everything up and recaulk.  Hopefully, that will take care of the leak.  Before I close everything up, I'll give it a good hosing to see if the leak is fixed.

As far as this 1992 unit being worthless or not, in its present condition it's not worth what I thought, however, being a Lazy Daze, it's far from being worthless.  My wife and I just spent 6 weeks in Louisiana and New Mexico.  The unit performed flawlessly and deserves a little more care and a little more maintenance.  It was just what I was looking for and worth every penny I paid for it.

I like old things and I like working on old things.  Come to think of it, I am on old thing.  I've got a restored 1952 wooden sailboat, I've got a woodshop that's filled with old woodworking machines that I've restored -- the "youngest" being my restored 1959 Oliver band saw.  If everyone walked away from classic 70's, 80's, and 90's Lazy Daze motorhomes because of some water damage, there would be quite a few less units around.

Hope that all helps with some of the speculation.

Later,

John

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 145659
Leaks and water damage are not the norm around here. Most owners of LD's maintain them and prevent leaks. To say leaks are the norm is to discredit responsible RV owners LD or otherwise.
Bob 01 23.5 Tk, Jeep Cherokee toad in surgery.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 145660
Good advice: stop looking in MI! Most Lazy Daze are out west living in a dry climate. We are flying into Salt Lake City to buy one the 1st of May. It will be well worth the expenses to find one that has lived it's whole life in a low humidity environment.
Just MHOP.....
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 145661
"If everyone walked away from  classic 70's, 80's, and 90's Lazy Daze motorhomes because of some water  damage, there would be quite a few less units around."

John
 That's true but there are many older LDs that should be walked away from.
My thoughts are if someone is asking "should I do this', they probably shouldn't.
Most do not have your skills, tools, experience and a place to rip an old LD apart for an extended period.
People that can do this are the exception, not the rule.
 It's my experience that most major leaks occur in the cabover, where the bunk is cantilevered over the cab.
Many times the only visible indication is a little rot in the corners, with the real damage concealed under the paneling.  An ice pick is the best tool for finding rot.
When a leak(s) has been ignored or not noticed for a long time, the  cabover's structural members, coming from the rear forward, can  completely rot away, leaving next to nothing to rebuild from.
When the Factory repairs this type of damage, they remove the siding to access extensive damage, a project way beyond most any home mechanic, self included. Faced with a similar situation, on one LD I built a heavy steel frame, off the top of the cab, to support the cabover because there was nothing structural left to attach the cabover to the rear of the coach.
 This is not to discourage the buying of old, well used LDs or any RV for that matter. Folks just need to have their eyes wide open to the problems. It's too easy to dismiss a serious problem as trivial.
Somewhere LDs got a reputation for being trouble free, well sorry, no RV is trouble free For long service lives, RVs of all types need regular inspection and maintnance. They exist in a tough world, getting beat up by the poor roads and year round weather. The trick is to find one that been taken care of,  not one that needs a lot of TLC. Changing the carpet, window shades and doing a little painting is what 'needing a little TLC' should mean, not ripping out rotted walls and removing buckets of composted wood.
Been there, done that...too many times. And over the years, we have seen many similar examples here.
 How many times have we heard "I knew it had problems but I fell in love with it" Buying an RV is an emotional experience when it should be an intellectual one. Having a experience RV tech, without any emotional involvement, check out an RV could be the best money you will spend on an LD.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 145664
Well I don't say it's worthless or should be walked away from, only that a balance should be calculated.  Just another factor in comparison shopping.

If the price were good enough, the RV could be bought right and be something useful and enjoyable for a time.  It doesn't have to mean tearing it down to the bones and making a full restoration.

Considering the depreciation on a new RV the first couple of years, a cool older unit could serve well, even if it were reduced to scrap value in 2 or 3 more years.  My 1991 twin king cost just over the sales tax on a new 2014 one.   I could simply throw the whole thing away and not really lose.  But at least we have a nice RV for now and get to go camping! :)

Old stuff can be fun.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 145666

How many times have we heard "I knew it had problems but I fell in love with it" Buying an RV is an emotional experience when it should be an intellectual one. Having a experience RV tech, without any emotional involvement, check out an RV could be the best money you will spend on an LD.

Larry
Or as my mother always told me .....never fall in love with something that can't love you back.

Glen

personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 145679
Well the main point is the "cult" will tell you the LD is near perfect and that is true of their layout. However the construction is not really that much better or worse than any other carefully built unit... The reason so many of them are in good shape is because they live in near desert conditions. Bring them to where it rains and you are going to have the same problems other coaches have. Maybe even a little more because of Lake Newton..  That said it can be really hard to find the source of the leak on any RV and often fixing the obvious damage will only last for a couple of years until the water leaks in again. One of the best ways to find these lelaks is with one of the positive air pressure tests..

And I hope to join the "Cult" someday..

One example is here. I consider it a necessity after any repair...
I don't know these people..it is just the first example I found.
http://www.familyrvsite.com/special.cfm?ID=2393

There are other systems but the principle is the same...

Garry

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 145686
Thank you all for your advice. We have decided to walk away from this LD but are continuing our search. Which brings up more questions I am hoping you all can help us with...I will start a new post subject.