Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725  (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Yahoo Message Number: 145558
Hi, Should I order the Pioneer GPS from Lazy Daze or get a Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725 LM from Camping World?

I am wondering how good the reception is with the Good Sam 7725 in a Lazy Daze.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck Sparks Orlando ,  FL 407-493-1956

Re: [LD] Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145559
As a very long time user of GPS I have a few tips I've learned.   I have used both Garmin and Magellan stand alongs.  I also have used google maps app with my cell phone provider (both ATT and T Mobile).   All have some great advantages and very bad disadvantages.
These are my personal observations.
In general the Magellan was the least accurate in finding locations.  Also I needed to use a Windows machine to preset and update the unit.
The Garmin units were the most accurate but took the longest to find its position.  Also it took the longest to get update from the Internet, sometimes up to an hour.
I have no idea what company Pioneer is using for the GPS software or what the update process will be.   Questions that should be ask.
I was told by a Camper World the their GPS is also Windows based and can only be update with a Windows machine.

There are many players in this space but only a few map makers.   IMHO a life time update option is a must.  Also being able to smoothly set locations and quickly updates.

Garmin's Basecamp software is a very good travel planner.  This software can export its results to google maps.

Good luck ---

Glen
personal fine art photo stuff
TF Mack | Flickr
It's all good .......
2014 Twin King

Re: Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145596
Chuck, I have one car, a MINI Cooper, with an onboard GPS.  It responds very fast and was nice to use once I got use to it.  My wife still has issues with it because her day to day GPS is a Garmin and rather than fight the learning curve she just uses the Garmin or Waze when driving the MINI.  In her defense the logic path used in the older MINI and some BMWs is very different.  Then there is the issue that with the pace of technology the hard ware in car mounted GPS will be out of date very soon.  Finally it is much easier to update a GPS that can be moved to the computer as compared to bring disks (the MINI) or files to the RV and working through the menus from the driver or passenger seat when it is time to do an update of the maps.
For these reasons I think the time where an in car GPS was more valuable than the mobile ones has passed.  The GPS in the MINI is still faster than my new Garmin, but not by much and the maps are so out of date I have to know the area.  It is difficult to find disks because the system is no longer supported (over 10 years old).
John 07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145598
"I think the time where an in car GPS was more valuable than the mobile ones has passed. The GPS in the MINI is still faster than my new Garmin, but not by much and the maps are so out of date I have to know the area. It is difficult to find disks because the system is no longer supported (over 10 years old)."

I agree with John. In-dash GPS units from auto manufacturers, in addition to being outrageously overpriced, are prone to obsolescence. When you buy a standalone GPS, it generally comes with a promise of downloadable maps for life. Try that with a car!

Moreover, the car makers' GPS units sometimes use databases of questionable quality. I well remember the time a friend drove me to a local Honda dealer to look at Fits. Ironically, the Honda-supplied in-dash GPS in his top-of-the-line Honda CR-V was utterly clueless about the location of the Honda dealership in Las Cruces, NM. All it would say was "Entering unknown area. Drive carefully."

Andy Baird - http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145601
I agree with John. In-dash GPS units from auto manufacturers, in addition to  being outrageously overpriced, are prone to obsolescence. When you buy a  standalone GPS, it generally comes with a promise of downloadable maps for life.  Try that with a car!

That is an unknown life time update. It is only as long as they support the unit. That is in the fine print when you buy the unit.

George Retired Plumber

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145602
My point was not that you'll get updates for the rest of your life, or even the life of the GPS. It was simply that it's much easier to update a standalone GPS from your Mac or PC than it is to update a GPS built into a car or truck.

Andy Baird - http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: [LD] Re: Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145603
Garmin is still providing lifetime updates for some popular older units. Look at the Nuvi 660. Stil a strong seller on ebay, as they have features new ones don't have,.

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Re: [LD] Re: Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145668
How do you like your Mini Cooper as a tow car? Is it stick or automatic?

Nancy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145671
I have not set it up to as a tow yet.  I do not know if I will.  When I first got the LD I was eager to add the MINI as a toad.  Seamed like a perfect way to explore some of the more remote roads in Appalachian Mountains.  At 2500-2800 lbs, it is a light car by todays standards and just an absolute hoot to drive.  Room for the wife and I as well as the two dogs and some other stuff.   The down side is that it sits low, so I would worry about stuff in the road that the RV could go over taking out a radiator or something.

The cost as well as finding after several trips I have not really needed a car that bad are keeping me from doing the needed work.

If your thinking about towing a MINI check for posts by Aprilwine on either the MINI forums or RV net.  She and her husband have documented the set up with pictures.  They have done this with two cars (one at a time) behind their class A.

Don't think about towing a MINI with an automatic trans.
John
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Lazy Daze GPS vs. Good Sam GPS RVND™ 7725
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145606
George said that lifetime updates are only for as long as they support the unit.  That may not be correct.  I have a Garmin Street Pilot 7200, not supported by Garmin for years, yet I still annually download and install a map update.  The software version is 5.3, old stuff, because they no longer support the unit and there is no newer software available.  The map is dated 2013.

Ken F in CA
'08 MB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145618
George said that lifetime updates are only for as long as they support the unit. That may not be correct. I have a Garmin Street Pilot 7200, not supported by Garmin for years, yet I still annually download and install a map update. The software version is 5.3, old stuff, because they no longer support the unit and there is no newer software available. The map is dated 2013.

Ken F in CA

From George:
 I have a Garmin Nuvi 1450. When I was looking at buying it the adds said it  came with Lifetime Map Updates. The question that I was asking my self was what  was LifeTime. Was life time as long as I owned the unit??? As long as the unit  was still working 20 years later??? In the owners manual? I found in small print on one of the pages it stated  Life Time was as long as they supported the unit. In the event of a law suite  that gave them an out. If the unit is no longer support they are no longer  REQUIRES to supply you with maps. We are lucky in that the maps for the newer units will work on the older models. Garmin could be a prick and write the code so that the new maps would not run on a 3 or 5 year old unit and we would not have a leg to stand on.
 Sort of like the tires we run on the MH. The State says 3/32. But the  manufacture also gave a number of years for tires that may only be driven 100  miles per year If you have an accident they are no longer at falt.

George Retired Plumber.