Skip to main content
Topic: Advice requested for rv cover for 2004 RB (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Advice requested for rv cover for 2004 RB
Yahoo Message Number: 145535
We are moving from Oregon, where we stored our RB indoors, to the Bay area, where we will need to store it outdoors.  Can anyone recommend an outdoor good cover that fits a RB well?
 Sidebar:  one senior member of this group advises against covers, on the ground that blowing wind will cause the cover to rub against the coach and scratch it.  Even if this is true, what' is worse, micro-scratches or oxidation of coach body.  Comments?

Thanks--Ted

Re: Advice requested for rv cover for 2004 RB
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145538
http://www.rvcoversprotect.com/traveler-class-c
 I have had good experience with covers from this source. Prices vary and the quality is based on what you pay.  I have a 93 RB that has been in an outside storage yard for more than 10 years.  Since it has a custom paint job, most people think is less than 10 years old.  Very few issues with using the cover and it keeps my unit looking fresh.  Just be sure to securely tie down the cover with bungee cords.  My unit does not show any signs of obvious scratches.  FWIW, I live in SoCal.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145539
In my case living in the SF Bay Area it was not a case of micro-scratches. It went through the paint, the primer and all the way to bare metal. Its not a case that the wind is blowing, but what the wind is blowing. Its the dust that gets into and under the cover that abrades the finish. You can slow down the oxidation by frequent waxing but in the end you are going to lose either way.
YMMV, John

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145540
It's not just to protect from oxidation of the coach body. It protects the roof sealant and keeps the sun off the plastic parts like the vent covers. And everything else the sun can damage. Tires, windshield wipers, etc. We lived in Eugene for seven years, and the coach was always covered with a breathable cover. It's a pain to put on and take off, but worth it. Make sure you get one with a zipper opening for the coach door.

Dick

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145544
I just completed a DIY cover to protect from the extreme Sacramento Valley elements. Not sure if you're interested in going this route - I bought materials and assembled with a friend: 1 5/8" galvanized for the frame, fittings from PTM tarps, and a recycled billboard tarp (billboard tarps.com). The tarps have a membrane & UV protection. I park it next to the house & can drive in & out without having to remove the cover & there's a couple ft on each side for it to breathe. At about $600 it wasn't as cheap as a cover but less than 1/3 the price of a canopy.
Just a thought...

Ray in Sac
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145566
What Richard Hughes said " It protects the roof sealant and keeps the sun off the plastic parts like the vent covers"  Today I was at the Lazy Daze factory to see Vince about a reseal of my roof.  Our 23.5 Front Dinette is 10 years old and I thought it must be time.  Good news for me, not needed yet.  We have always kept our motorhome in our driveway, covered.  We wash and wax it too and it looks great.  Vince was impressed.  Even the escape hatch cover was still flexible, not brittle, since the UV rays haven't cooked it.  And we live in the desert, hot sun, lots of wind.
We have worn out several covers in 10 years, and I recommend our latest as the most durable and best fit.  It is an ADCO sunbrella fabric. They custom make it here in California, and they can fit your Lazy Daze. Call the factory direct and get the best price.  800-541-2326 Hope this helps.
Judy G.
Judy  G
2004 23.5 Front Dinette