Skip to main content
Topic: Problems with awning winch slot (Read 26 times) previous topic - next topic
Problems with awning winch slot
Yahoo Message Number: 145523
I have a 2001 MD and I broke the winch slot, the plastic piece that the hook and crank handle fit into to open and close the awning. After some research and a call to LD I found out the the awning is made by Fiamma and is model F45 Plus 4.0. I went into the Fiamma site and found the schematic for it and order Part number 98655-134. It arrived and after I took out the pin to remove the old winch slot I found out that the slot in the new part was too short and the pin hole through the shaft does not line up with the new winch slot. It is about 1/8" to 1/4" out. I have sent 3 emails (over the last 6 weeks) to Fiamma with all the awning information including date of manufacture, model and serial numbers but no response. So with no help from them my potential solutions are: 1) drill a new hole in the shaft, 2) take the shaft mechanism down and cut it to make the pin holes in the shaft and the winch slot line up, or 3) glue the winch slot onto the shaft and hope that it stays. It is only used to wind and unwind the awning so no upward or downward pressure on it. Has anyone run into the same situation and if so, how did you resolve it? Thanks

Kevin Hannah 2001 Mid-Bath Poulsbo, WA
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB

Re: Problems with awning winch slot
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145526
Ken
 Just gluing the shaft to the new handle will not work. It will twist loose.
Modify the new handle, you can always get another if you screw it up. Cutting the shaft is a more difficult repair and  expensive replacement, if the job goes wrong, assuming that Fiamma can even supply the correct part.
 Is there enough metal in the handle to drill a new hole, lining up with the hole in the existing shaft, for a new roll pin? The handle could also be drilled and threaded for two or three small allen-head set screws, used to lock the handle on the shaft.  You could use the two existing roll pin holes.
Small indentations in the shaft can be drilled to mate with the tips of the set screws, providing a depression for the set screws to lock into, greatly increasing the set screw's holding power.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145527
"The 'ring' snapping or shattering is a very common problem with Fiamma  awnings; plastic does not stand up well to long exposure to UV rays. "

Joan
 Fiammas have all sorts of things that go wrong, they are not a robust design, more like a light-weight toy.
The shock absorbers shatter. on older models,  just from the hardening of the plastic. The winch handle breaks, the covers stop fully retracting due to the awning stretching, the knob threads strip or the arms bend. It doesn't take much to damage one. We never leave the rig without retracting it or at least leaving the arms connected to the body and rolling it up as far as it will go, reducing the sail area. One strong gust is enough to damage it when full extended.
We are careful with ours and, in eleven years, have only needed to replace the two shock absorbers.
I tend to use it more at home, in the driveway,  than when traveling because I'm there to keep an eye on it and the wind.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145531
Hi Larry,

Thanks for you insight and solutions. I will buy the Allen head set screws tomorrow and work on it. The next couple of days are predicted to be dry. It has been the rainiest March ever with over 8" todate in the Seattle area. Thanks again for your help.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin Hannah
Green Valley, AZ
Owner of 2000 26.5 RK, came back to the family
Previously 2014 Newmar Baystar
Previously 2001 LD 26.5 MB