Skip to main content
Topic: Having someone else other than the Tire-Man (Chuck) install the valv (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Having someone else other than the Tire-Man (Chuck) install the valv
Yahoo Message Number: 145509
Our Michelin motorhome tires (LTX M/S LT 225/75R16 115) where the subject of the Michelin recall campaign (NHTSA 13T-012).I contacted Chuck to order the valve stems before getting the new tires installed. To get the tires installed, I had to take the motorhome to a tire store in our area since Chuck is not a Michelin tire distributor. I chose America's Tire in Murrieta, CA (951-698-0446).When I received the valve stems I took them to America's Tire and spoke with the assistant manager, Matt Ames. He looked over the kit and I told him I wanted to work with their tire installer to make sure the valve stems were properly installed. He said that they have never installed these valve stems before, but he didn't see a problem with it or with me working the installer.
 The tires had to be order so I returned two weeks later. Shortly after arriving, the tire installer, Joshua, met with me and we went over the installation instructions together. I did take the instructions that came with valve stems and reformatted the document so it was in a checklist format. This also helped me become familiar with the installation steps so I could make immediate corrections if I saw something wasn't being done right. After reviewing the instructions, Joshua invited me into the tire installation area to oversee the installation of the valve stems.
 The installation went off without any serious problems. During the installation another employee came over to help. He started to install one stem with the red mark facing the lug nuts and another stem on the wrong side of the rim. So standing nearby helped as I was able to correct these errors immediately. The changing of seven tires and installing 6 valve stems took 2 hours.
 I also purchased America's Tires' certificate for repair, refund or replacement. It includes free tire rotations. Since you cannot easily rotate the tires without changing the valve stems around, Matt the assistant manager said any rotations would include moving the stems at no cost. I was very pleased with America's Tire and the staff at the Murrieta store. They really wanted to make sure I was a satisfied customer.
 In closing, I cannot say enough about Chuck.I must have called him 5 times with questions. He was always patient in talking with me and gave several tips to installing the valve stems that only a seasoned installer would know. He also told me that the installers at America's Tires could call him if they had any questions.

So here are my tips for installing the valve stems:

• Go to the Tire-Man and take the worry out of installation process.
  • If you cannot go to the Tire-Man, then take the valve stems into the tire store you are thinking about using. Let them look at them and ask any questions about the installation. Then if need be, you can call Chuck for an answer. This I had to do when Matt looked over the valve stems and thought a part was missing (it wasn't).
  • Thoroughly familiarize yourself with the installation steps so corrections can be made immediately.
  • Make sure you can watch the installation and let the installer know you might be clarifying the steps with them as the installation in in process.

I hope my experience with America's Tires helps someone else who might be in a situation where you cannot go to the Tire Man.
2010 Lazy Daze, 31'