Skip to main content
Topic: Serpentine belt squealing (Read 36 times) previous topic - next topic
Serpentine belt squealing
Yahoo Message Number: 145482
I just purchased a 95' 27'MB    The squealing, the original owner tells me is the belt, and stops when warmed up after running engine.  The Ford V-10 has 106,000 mi on her.  My gut is telling me it's the water pump squeal indicator warning  of failure.  The water temp. has not been affected. My question is, do 95 water pumps squeal to indicate failure?

Re: Serpentine belt squealing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145486
"The Ford V-10 has 106,000 mi on her.  My gut is telling me it's the  water pump squeal indicator warning  of failure.  The water temp. has  not been affected. My question is, do 95 water pumps squeal to indicate  failure?

Craig

Many times I get a gut feeling like that and it's only indigestion.
Your belt is squealing and you think it's the water pump? Unless you have verified that, consider there are many other potential cause of belt squealing.   Has you mechanic inspected the belt or replaced it in the last 50,000 miles or so? It might just be the belt is worn or the spring-loaded idler has weakened, allowing slippage. When the belt is remove, then the water pump and other accessories can be hand spun to check the condition of the bearings. The alternator, water pump, A/C compressor, power steering pump and idlers can all have bad bearings or worn, bent or noisy pulleys.
It's a lot of fun getting the old belt out and the new one properly routed, probably one of the more difficult belt changes around.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145493
Thanks Larry for the comments.  I'm in CA and wondered if you or anyone can recommend a preferred RV shop in Napa or Sonoma counties.  I have some exterior deferred maintenance and would appreciate referrals.  I am the proud new owner of a 95' LD 27'MB.  Thank you in advance, And Happy Trails

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145495
The '95 Fords had a 460cid V8 engine, not the V10. Are you certain on the year?

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145498
I have not used this shop, but have heard positive reports of its owners (Dean and Sandy Ellena) and the quality of work done. They apparently don't have a website: Advantage Rv Ctr Inc 4122 Byway East Napa, California94558 (707) 252-8188

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145506
First of all, if its a 95,       its not a V-10. V-10s began in 1997. But, that is besides the       point, I would check the idler pulleys first if you can confirm that       the belt is not slipping. If you do need a belt, I would recommend       a  Goodyear Gatorback belt. Idler pulleys are fairly easy to       replace.

Chuck Myers 97RB @Chatfield SP CO
1997 RB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145507
"First of all, if its a 95, its not a V-10. V-10s began in 1997. But, that is besides the point, I would check the idler pulleys first if you can confirm that the belt is not slipping."
 The 1995 Ford Super Duty was equipped with a 460 ci/in V-8. It uses a serpentine belt with a spring-loaded idler. To check that the belt tention is correct requires using a belt tention gauge, better known a Krikit.
The old thumb method doesn't work anymore since the introduction of serpentine belts, the belt pressure is much higher than the old style multiple v-belts. Your thumb isn't strong enough to deflect a properly tensioned serpentine belt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11wfc-0-hY http://www.amazon.com/Gates-91132-Belt-Tension-Tester/dp/B000CRDLZM To remove or install the belt requires a tool for unloading the spring idler.
http://www.harborfreight.com/serpentine-belt-tool-kit-66344.html
 If all of this is a mystery, perhaps having a pro look at it would be advisable. A lot more can go wrong than just a belt or idler, especially in a 19 year old RV. The entire belt drive system should be examined.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze