Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Lazy Daze (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
1986 Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 145480
Hi,

We took our 1986 Lazy Daze to have the swamp cooler replaced with A/C since we need A/C in this part of the country.  The RV repair place just called to say that the rig is not wired for 110v only 12v and we'll need to rewire the entire RV.  Can anyone else with experience with a rig this old tell me if this was normal for this age?

Cindy

Re: 1986 Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145481
I had an '86 MP. The a/c only worked when connected to shore power. I always thought that it was a quirk of my rig, one of several, but perhaps not. Good Luck. Mark

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145483
I added A/C to my 84. There was no 120v to the opening where the swamp cooler was,  no fuse for a/c in the fuse box, and a 20 amp power cord.

I would expect all of that to be required to rewire for A/C.

GP

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145485
" Can anyone else with experience with a rig this old tell me if this was normal for this age?"

Cindy Yes, that's normal.
Ed convinced someone that they "didn't need it". Since they didn't need it, LD didn't add the wire unless they were asked to do so as an option. I had friends who's rig was wired that way.and was stated on the original receipt.
120-VAC can be added but it could get ugly unless it's done right.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145492
I bought my first Lazy Daze from the factory in April 1987.  As Larry mentioned I was also similarly "convinced" that the standard RecAir swamp coolor was sufficient and I didn't need 110 AC.  A year later I took it back to factory where they installed the 110 AC (cost: $675.00) and a microwave oven (cost: $495.00). Both of these costs were all inclusive (parts and installation labor). Interestingly enough the "work order" and receipt was same little yellow slip they use today when you buy parts from the factory store.  Dave

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145494
That was certainly the culture in the early days. We ordered a 1975 LD that was delivered in early 1976. Most of the LD's sold those days were in the southern California area, and a lot of the camping was in the California desert. When in the desert you don't really need A/C, and the coaches were too small for generators so the obvious choice was a swamp cooler.
 I suffer greatly in humidity. When it gets above 30% I am very uncomfortable. I knew that I would never be comfortable without air conditioning, even if it meant having hook-ups most of the time. So we ordered our 1975 19-1/2' with an Evan air conditioner that cost $495. Besides the A/C we ordered the 8' Dometic refrigerator for $195, a marine toilet for $95, carpeting for $205, an 8' awning for $199.50 and a vent in the bath for $25. These things are standard now. We didn't have a microwave. I bought a 9" RCA color TV for it that I still have and it still works fine. I bought a dog chain for it to keep it from falling off the rear shelf.

Dick

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145496
"The RV repair place just called to say that the rig is not wired for 110v only 12v and we'll need to rewire the entire RV"
 In that vintage, if the roof air option was not ordered, typically the rig was wired for 20A shorepower service, not 30A. Also, there was no wiring at any vent location for AC, and the roof support was not re-inforced for the AC unit.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit