Skip to main content
Topic: Upholstering TK bench & pillow quilts (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Upholstering TK bench & pillow quilts
Yahoo Message Number: 145355
We're looking to recover the front of the two slide-out benches on our TK now that we've recovered the cushions. Is it possible to remove the benches to make it easier to re-cover them? I want to make sure I can remove, re-cover and replace them before I do something I'll regret.

Also, in Andy's "Travels with Gertie", he mentions a pillow quilt. Unfortunately, the link to the pattern is broken. Does anyone have the pattern?

Ray & Liz '97 Edith Rose
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK

Re: Upholstering TK bench & pillow quilts
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145360
"in Andy's 'Travels with Gertie', he mentions a pillow quilt. Unfortunately, the link to the pattern is broken."

Ray & Liz, thanks for catching that broken link. I've corrected it to point  to my own article on making a pillow quilt, which is actually better than the one I had linked to previously. As you'll see, you really don't need a pattern; the dimensions given will yield a nice one-person quilt that's 42" x 72". (Of course you must add seam allowances.) Or you can make a quilt in any size you like by scaling up the dimensions. Happy quilting!

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145365
Ray and Liz, I don't know about the TK, but on my MB, the sliding bench front is fairly easily removable.  There is a guide slot under the seat cushion.  Remove the cushion and you will see the slot.  Mine is held in place by 4 phillips wood screws that attach to a block that slides in the groove.  When I removed my bench front, I started by using some tape to fasten the slide block underneath, working from the external cabinet.  I then removed the 4 screws and lifted the front clear.  To re-attach I put down some masking tape on the surface next to the slot and marked the screw hole locations.  I lined the top piece holes up with the marks, replaced the screws and was done.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145384
Ken

That info was timely and so helpful

Art and I have been struggling with our sofa cushions in our '96 TK due to dryer sheet odor (several boxes worth we think!) from 4 yrs in storage by previous owners.  We are going to replace the carpet and eventually the valances since I can't seem to  deodorize them.  Glad to hear about the boxes as we need to take care of the fabric there and had decided to put a separate piece of carpet on them.
We gave up on the idea of slip covering the cushions as the price was astronomical between fabric and labor costs.  4 x through the cold wash and lots and lots of Fabreze seems to have helped a little.

Sandy in VT

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145391
Thanks Ken, I pulled the first bench off, so we'll get out the staple gun and replace the older fabric with something that works with the overall color scheme. We too are going to replace the carpet with either vinyl tiles or laminate but it looks like a chore! That carpet is not going to come out easily! R&L
2003 MB
Formerly 1997 TK