Skip to main content
Topic: Roadmaster or Blue Ox? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Roadmaster or Blue Ox?
Yahoo Message Number: 145343
Getting ready to plunk down some coin for a tow package. It seems that these brands are the two dominate ones on the market. Is the quality similar? Thanks
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Roadmaster or Blue Ox?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145348
Ted,  I have both. The Roadmaster All Terrain tow bar attached to the motorhome and the Blue Ox baseplate with the removable hidden mounts installed on our '05 Honda CRV. Roadmaster supplies the adaptor Blue Ox mounts that attach to the arms of the tow bar. A very simple attaching procedure and there is not as much baseplate hardware showing on the front of the CRV. The Roadmaster arm lock release works well when in a binding position whereas it is more difficult to release the Blue Ox. I also changed the 4-pin electrical connection on the LD to the standard 7-pin truck style as I also run a 10-ga. charging wire from the LD engine battery to the CRV's battery (fused at both ends). This eliminates having to pull the # 18 fuse while towing the CRV. There are photos of this in my LWALD photo album "Coachman's Enhancements to Monty."  Hope this helps in your decision.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145351
I have a Roadmaster tow bar.  I used to have a Roadmaster tow plate, but I now have a Blue Ox tow plate.  The change was not intentional.  When I changed TOADs Roadmaster was out of stock for tow plates for my Forester.
 Both appear to be good quality.  I have a minor preference based on aesthetics and appearance for the Blue Ox tow plate.  It is very quick and easy to make it all but invisible.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145356
My advice would be to select the base plate for the vehicle that you plan to tow first.  The base plates from the two companies for a specific vehicle are often very different.  Both companies produce versions of their tow bars that have "feet" that fit the other company's base plates.
 Many years back when I decided to tow my Jeep Cherokee, I liked the Roadmaster Sterling tow bar, but disliked the Roadmaster base plate because it had so many parts and protruded so far in front of the vehicle.  At the time there was no "remove-able version" of the base plate.  The Blue Ox base plate for the Jeep was simple, a single piece that was not remove-able, but looked good and did not protrude  in front like the Roadmaster plate.  I had a Blue Ox base plate installed.  I acquired a Roadmaster Sterling bar with Blue Ox feet.  A couple of years ago I acquired a second similar bar because I damaged the original one.  Have towed about 145K miles with the arrangement.

Doug