Skip to main content
Topic: Spark plugs 3 valve engines (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Spark plugs 3 valve engines
Yahoo Message Number: 145266
The LD gathering at Morro Bay, CA has just finished and it was a great event. Thanks to Larry and Renee for setting this up.

During the technical talk Rod spoke about the spark plug issues in the older V-10 and the newer ones as well. While I was aware of the problem associated with blown spark plugs I wasn't aware that there were any issues on the newer models. To put it simply, removing those plugs is a pain beyond what I could have imagined. The risk during removal is separating the white insulator from the threaded portion leaving the latter stuck in the head. I found this on youtube which claims to be the proper method to remove the plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gz5Pd-hrWQ

It certainly makes me wonder if this problem is not simply the result of extending the service interval to 100,000 miles. Leaving anything screwed together that long seems to beg for problems in removal. I currently have 42,000 on our 06 and wonder if it might be smarter to replace them now.

Jim C

Re: Spark plugs 3 valve engines
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145267
Hi Jim,

I just viewed the You Tube link you sent. I have a 2003 23.5 LD/FL with 49,000 miles. I just purchased it used recently and I wanted to change the dreaded spark plugs in the V-10; as I wanted a fresh start. They have been in the engine for over 11 years. So Last Friday I called and asked Mike at Coastal RV in Agoura Hills Ca. what he recommended. He said to bring back my Motorhome when I reach 60,000 miles. Just food for thought.

Have a good day Jim,

Steve Darrow/Red Sky

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145276
Unless you think you will put a lot of miles on the MH I would do it now. As that vidio said get them out soomer and get the new style in before they seze and brake off in the removel. If you change them now they will last 60,000+ miles. Get the advantage of the new plugs for your self. Why save them for the next owner.
It is not like 25 years ago when we changed the plugs every year. (Fall)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145282
I would do it sooner       rather than later, later being much beyond 50K miles. I changed       mine around 62K, of course I have the older motor. They were in ok       shape, but going down hill. They needed about 30-40 lb-ft of       torque to pop lose. They are a pain to remove, took me a whole       frickin' day. I have 108K on the motor now, so I plan on replacing       them again this year yet.

Chuck 97RB @Roosevelt Lake AZ
1997 RB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145283
Chuck,
 I knew that there were some problems with the spark plug removal of the V-10 engines. However, I was not aware that there was so much written about blowouts until I start looking into this matter after I saw the various posts on the website. With over 76,000 miles on our 2001 (I actually think it is a 2000) MB I better get with it and start thinking about replacing them. Wish me luck please?

Is there much difference between the 97 and the 2001?

Aad Rommelse

__
2001 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145284
Jim C.
Good video by Autolite.  I'm glad to have taken part of the discussion.  If you watch the video, you see the effort it takes to do these three valve spark plug replacement jobs. The DIYS mechanic needs to know this.  A broken spark plug requires special tools.  Follow the video and you should be successful. Never exceed the 33 foot pounds. Take your time.  Patience is golden with the three valve V-10 Rod aka redbirddog

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145286
Before we all make haste to get our plugs changed, please note that this problem only applies to 3 valve engines which Ford introduced in 2005, and to my knowlege were never used in the E-450 chassis.  So do your homework before you worry too much about one of Ford's "Better Ideas".

Rich - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145287
Chuck, Aad and Rod. If I had only known what a monumental pain this was going to be I would have talked one of you into doing this for me. I mean we had all that time on our hands in Quartzsite and/or Mittry Lake.

One would hope that a Ford dealer would do this job properly but unless they are keeping your rig overnight to allow the engine to cool off I doubt it.

Chuck, you know how mechanically inclined I am and thanks for making the job sound so appealing :o

Jim C

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145293
Right, Rich.  A quick Internet search on "Ford 3 valve engine problems" came up with an article with s list of vehicles in which these engines were installed. The E series (with V-10) was not one of them. I think we can relax on this one. -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 145297
No problem Jim! To do the       job would take more tools than I currently carry in the rig. So,       maybe next time we meet and have several days of nothing planned,       then we could do it. Somewhere in a town with a major home center       box store and lots of auto parts stores too. If you bought me new       tools, then that would work even better :) FYI, I would not worry       too much about changing your plugs yet, something over the horizon       though.

Chuck Myers 97RB @Roosevelt Lake AZ
1997 RB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145299
Chuck and Others,
 Since this subject was brought up a little time ago I really became concerned. However, after studying this topic on the various web sites, visually looking at my engine and the work involved as well as the potential consequences of changing the plugs at this time (76,000 miles on a 2001 engine), I have decided not to touch my plugs for the time being. First my engine still runs great and has good power. Second my owner's and service manuals clearly recommend to change the plugs at 100,000 miles. Consequently, my mind has been put at ease to follow Ford's recommendations. I sleep again much better.

Aad

__
2001 MB