Skip to main content
Topic: LP gas detector (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
LP gas detector
Yahoo Message Number: 145246
Looking for info on how to correct an "over sensitive" gas detector.   The very brief info sheet for the unit indicates cooking odors, etc may set-off the alarm.  We can verify that this happens all to often.  We have never smelled gas or had any indication of a gas problem, however, when cooking almost anything that produces typical cooking odors, the alarm activates.  We use the range hood and most often turn on the ceiling vent fan 26.5  to draft fresh air through the MH.  This usually silences the alarm within 5-6 minutes but, in cold weather it also brings in cold air.  We appreciate the need for the safety feature but, repeatedly having to silence the alarm is aggravating.  I would rather not replace the detector but, if we can't determine how to lower the sensitivity of the unit that may be the next step.

JBI - 2004 LD, NC

Re: LP gas detector
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145247
I have the same problem but only worst. I bought the MH used. One day I was reaing the direction on the unit an found it was not working. The little light was not even on. Checking I found they had removed the fuse. I replaced the fuse and about every hour it would go off. I have since left the fuse out. The direction even say the glues that are used in the camper and rugs will set it off.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145250
I really think you should replace the detector. It should not be that sensitive if it's working correctly. Or at least borrow one from another RV, and try it for several hours.

Eric Greenwell

wrote, On 3/6/2014 10:00 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145251
We have a problem with our LP detector also and it goes off when we are not cooking and there are no odors. We have discovered that if we open the house battery compartment it will stop. We now open the compartment and put a small block of wood to hold the door open about 3 or 4 inches. Has solved the problem.
Have RV, will travel anywhere!
2016 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145252
wrote :.. We have discovered that if we open the house battery compartment it will stop. We now open the compartment and put a small block of wood to hold the door open about 3 or 4 inches. Has solved the problem.

You might want to make sure that everything is clean and secure in the battery compartment.

Last year I had an issue with the detector going off when I opened the entry door to the house part of the RV.  I realized it was the action of the step coming out that somehow triggered the alarm.   Later it would go off when the water pump kicked on.  I realized the alarm was some kind of power fault. The unit was not getting the proper flow of electricity to work properly (sorry for the awaked phrasing -  I don't speak wirehead).  Cleaning the battery terminals and making sure everything was tight helped for a little while.  But the problem would come back when ever the battery charge was low.

A short time after that I discovered my batteries were nearly gone and not holding a charge.  I have not had an issue with the detector after changing the batteries.

John

Green 07 MB
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145254
The original poster has a 2004 rig. Propane detectors, like CO detectors and smoke detectors, go bad with age. The first sign of failure is typically an increase in false alarms. Replacements aren't expensive. Lives are.

Now, it is true that very low house battery voltage can cause false alarms as well. The case cited, in which failing batteries dropped so low in voltage when the electric step was operating (a heavy load) that the propane detector tripped, is a good example. But if your batteries are in good shape and your detector gives false alarms--AND you have ruled out a real propane leak!--then by all means buy a replacement. Installation is a simple matter of connecting two wires and securing a couple of screws.

Andy Baird

http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"