Skip to main content
Topic: New Battery for LD (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
New Battery for LD
Yahoo Message Number: 145241
I bought 2 new 6 volt batterys for the MH. Desided against the FullRiver bat. They made me an offer of 220 each for the 6 volt AGM. The big think I di

d not like is that they re make in  China and they have only been in business for about 10 years.
Got 2 Daka  bat.     http://www.dekabatteries.com/     I got  them from Hensley Battery where I have been buying battery's from for over 15  years. They no linger carried the Trojan line. The Dake is made in PA USA and  have been in business since 1946 and have a good reputation. They make there own  battery's.
Got 2 GC15. for $99.80 + trade of old bat. Are 232 aH My  thinking is that they were less then half the price of AGM. The AGM would have  to last more than twice the years to brake even. It is not that hard to roll the  bat out on the tray and check the water level and add. They do not have to be  remove to service.

Send Cancel

d not like is that theya re make in China and they have only been in bussiness for about 10 years.
Got 2 Daka bat.     http://www.dekabatteries.com/     I got them from Hensley Battery where I have been buying batterys fromfor over 15 years. They no linger carried the Trojan line. The Dake is made in PA USA and have been in bussiness since 1946 and have a good reputation. They make there own batterys.
Got 2 GC15. for $99.80 + trade of old bat. Are 232 aH My thinking is that they were less then half the price of AGM. The AGM would have to last more than twice the years to brake even. It is not that hard to roll the bat out on the tray and check the water level and add. They do ot have to be remove to survice.

AGM Batteries for LD if you are in the central Florida area
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145256
Anytime one is traveling through the central Florida area and are considering acquiring AGM batteries for their vehicle, you might consider calling Square Deal Battery Company in Tampa, 3512 N. Florida Ave. (813) 223-3303 and ask for Larry or Joel (brothers that own the business), give them the size and type (6V or 12V) AGM battery you need to see if they have it in stock. Last week I bought two large (80-lbs each) 12V AGM deep cycle batteries that I am making a small UPS system for our home computer network. They cost $50 each with an old battery exchange. When I got our LD in 2010 I wanted to increase the coach battery capacity and bought two 6V 200AH AGM batteries for $80. each and they are still going strong. They get these batteries from large commercial UPS systems that need to rotate their batteries every 1-1/2 years. Joel told me one should call ahead to see what they have in stock before coming to Tampa but they usually have plenty of the 12V AGM batteries in stock. All their batteries are tested and warranted for a one year free replacement. I have over 14 automotive/equipment battery applications at our ranch and have saved a lot of $$$ dealing with this company. My family has been trading with this company for over 30-years and have never been dissatisfied with their product or service.
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: AGM Batteries for LD if you are in the central Florida area
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145271
Mike, Thanks for tip for AGM batteries replacement as I have family in Sarasota and drive through Tampa on the way! LarryD
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: New Battery for LD
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145300
I recommend anyone replacing the flooded-cell batteries with AGMs upgrade to a 3-stage converter, as well as a 3-stage solar charge controller (if they have solar). NOT doing so will likely cause the new batteries to last much less time than the Trojans, due to catastrophic loss of electrolyte from continual overcharging. So, if this charging system upgrade has not been done, it should be considered as a necessary expense in addition to the battery cost.
 Note that if using the Heliotrope solar charger, manually switching from boondock to storage mode, and only occasionally connecting to shorepower for short periods will probably work as well as upgrading the charging systems.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145301
"I recommend anyone replacing the flooded-cell batteries with AGMs upgrade to a 3-stage converter, as well as a 3-stage solar charge controller"

Amen! I couldn't agree more.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145302
What I was trying to figure out was which one of various models was a true drop in replacement for the existing Parallax Power 7345.  It looks like you can easily get a 55-amp unit, but perhaps larger without any major structure changes.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis    (snowing like crazy again!! )

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145303
What I was trying to figure out was which one of various models was a true drop  in replacement for the existing Parallax Power 7345.  It looks like you can  easily get a 55-amp unit, but perhaps larger without any major structure  changes.

Going larger is a no no. The size of the wire installed by the  camper manufacturer is what you NEED to be concerned about. If the old unit is 45  amp and you go larger the wire from the power converter to the bat will most  likely be to small to carry the amp load.
 Before you make the change you need to  check what size wire is need to carry the amps for the new unit and what the  size of the wire is that is running from the charger to the bat.

7345 =  The  first 2 numbers is the model of the unit.
The 2nd 2 numbers is the out put of  the charger.   45 is a 45 amp unit and 75 is a 75 amp charger.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145304
Going larger than 55A output with the two AGMs or two flooded cell batteries won't make much difference in battery recharge time. However, the new converter will recharge significantly faster than the 7345 - not due to the increased current capacity, but due to the higher charging voltage during the initial of the 3 stages, which will allow a higher current. And, you won't have to upgrade the wiring.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 145314
This is the drop in model that I put in our 06 back in 09, which would be model 4645.

http://www.bestconverter.com/4600-series-Upgrade-Kits_c_133.html

The only issue was re-wiring the replacement DC board. because the batt wires came in from the opposite direction. Since there wasn't much play it was a bit of a pain to get connected but so far we haven't burst into flame which is always a good thing.

Jim C