Skip to main content
Topic: RV tripping house GFI circuit (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
RV tripping house GFI circuit
Yahoo Message Number: 145215
Hi. My brother is having a problem with his house GFI tripping when he plugs in his RV. I believe the circuit is a 15 or 20 amp in the garage. This is a brand new problem for him. I thought I'd try the group and see if I've missed any ideas. I won't list what I've told him to try so far in hopes that the collective brainpower here will either validate our theories or shed some new light on the issue. Thank you all.

Larry in Monument, CO 2008 24' FD

Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD

Re: RV tripping house GFI circuit
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145216
I've had two things cause the problem you describe:

* My line monitor went bad. It was the type that plugs into an AC socket, and reports the line voltage, frequency, bad grounding, etc.
Ironic that the monitor for these conditions caused those conditions! * the battery charger on my Heart Interface (now Xantrex) inverter/charger ocasionally trips a GFI breaker. I now plug the motorhome into a non-GFI socket.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 3/3/2014 9:00 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145217
Larry, You have probably already tried what I am going to suggest but I'll list it anyway just in case.

The GFI is sensing an imbalance between the hot and neutral wires and the first step is to determine which circuit in the MH is causing it.  Start by turning off the main breaker and all other 120V breakers in the MH.  Then plug the MH cord into the house outlet.  If the GFI does not trip, turn on the main breaker, If it still is good, turn on each of the other breakers one at a time until the GFI trips.  That will show where to start looking.  It is probably something as simple as moisture in an outlet or fixture.

Monti

Monument, CO

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145221
Eric and Monti. Thank you both. He lives in Oregon so I've been trying to help over the phone. He replaced his converter within the last year and hasn't had any trouble until now so I suspected a loose ground at the converter or moisture problems in one of the 120 circuits. I told him to get one of those yellow circuit testers and check all of his circuits once he gets power in the coach, but I think I'll have him use Monti's approach first. They've had a lot of rain and snow so hopefully it's an easy fix. Poor guy doesn't have a Lazy Daze! I'm going to forward both of your thoughts and that should keep him busy for a while. Monti, are you enjoying your Foretravel? We saw a nice older one up at Henry's Lake on our way back from Alaska.  Larry in Monument, CO 2008 24' FD
Larry in Monument, CO
2008 24' FD