Skip to main content
Topic: Splash/Rock Guard for towing (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Splash/Rock Guard for towing
Yahoo Message Number: 145176
I had two separate brush type guards behind each dually but those are long gone. As I prepare for towing I am considering either the more solid or the brush type guard across the entire rear bumper. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Solutions-00002-Solid-Motorhome/dp/B002OAT7NU/.

Any suggestions? What has worked for you?.
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
2021 Mid Bath

Re: Splash/Rock Guard for towing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145179
Ted, the further back from the rear wheels a mudguard is mounted, the worse off you are. Years ago I mounted an UltraGuard full-width mudguard on my rig, about a foot forward of the rear bumper (which was as far forward as I could get it, due to tanks and whatnot). The Ultraguard was a very well-made product. I mounted it so that the bottom of the flap was four inches from the ground, exactly as recommended by the manufacturer. Nevertheless, the first time I drove an unpaved road, it sprayed gravel and dust all over my towed car.

Why? Well, any motorhome has a fairly long overhang behind the rear wheels. That means those wheels act as a pivot point. When the front end of the rig goes up even slightly--due to a slope or irregularity in the road--the rear end goes down, and it doesn't take much for a mudflap mounted at the rear to touch the ground and throw stones back at your toad (and at anybody who's driving behind you).

So my advice is: stick with dual flaps mounted immediately behind the rear wheels. That's where they will do the most good, and where they will be certain NOT to drag on the ground and spray stones and dust.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145180
"considering either the more solid or the brush type guard across the entire rear bumper. Here is an example: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Solutions-00002-Solid-Motorhome/dp/B002OAT7NU/."

Ted
 If you get one, mount it as close to the rear axle as possible. It the guard ever touches the road surface, it will fling gravel at your toad. I see them mounted on rear bumpers all the time, the worse possible position since the rear dips the most.
No matter what you do to protect the toad, other than carrying it in an inclosed trailer, it will get chips and dings. Best not to tow a vehicle that you are in love with its paint or windshield.

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145181
What I use ..
http://protectatow.tripod.com
 Or if I used "regular" mud flaps I'd use something like European trucks, kind of a AstroTurf like material that is soft and doesn't reflect rocks that impact it. It also coalesces any liquid that hits so it doesn't spray. JMOO
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145182
Hi Ted,

We've had good luck with the Protect-q-tow out of Canada. Their website is www.protectatow.com. You might take a look at it.

We do get a bit of light debris in bad weather on the sides of the tow car, but no dents or s...cratches. And the company is great to work with. When I purchased the package, I had not measured properly, so I received the wrong sized unit. Protect-a-tow handled the problem with tact and efficiency and no extra charges. They sent me away a very happy camper.

We've only had it a few years, and haven't done a great deal of during this time, but have used it about a dozen times. No problems at all.

You might check it out.

Barry "O"  06MB - Ruby Red
2006 27' MidBath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 145183
We have had two LDs.  The first with the brush type and the second with a solid guard.  Without a doubt the solid is superior.  We also use a Protect-A-Tow from a Canadian company.  The combination has proven superior in protecting our two vehicle.

Bob in Florida   SE 5

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 145185
Want to keep life simple? But a toad with a crappy enough paint job that you don't have to worry about it getting scratched, nicked, etc. And make sure your insurance covers the windshield. I'm on my 3rd one.
Besides if you elect to explore off road it's going to get scratched anyways. Don't worry, be happy! Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad (with scratches, nicks, chips and bug goo)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 145187
We have also used a Protect-a-Tow for several year and are very pleased with it.  We have had to replace the spreader bar (home depot plumbing dept.) and shock cord, but the "apron", as we call it, is still in ok shape after several years of use.  Ted R

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 145200
I have the one peace mud guard that is mounted on the bumper. Just how good it protects the trailer I'm not sure. But just how much of a difference this makes in the millage is another question. It was there when I bought the MH.