Skip to main content
Topic: Digest Number 9002 (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Digest Number 9002
Yahoo Message Number: 145163
ktco10m wrote:

Beautiful pictures, Andy.  What a great trip! Larry, I have been caught in snow in July in the high country and camp more from March - November, so I wondered how well the LD does in somewhat colder conditions (not so much tanks freezing but more just how the insulation in the LD compares to other Class Cs).  I have owned Bigfoots previously and I know LDs aren't 4-season campers like them, but wondered how they fared as 3-season motorhomes.
I have lived in both a Bigfoot (4 years) and a Lazy Daze (almost 2 years). I'm one of the people that Andy traveled with during his Colorado summer and fall. I grew up in Colorado and love camping there, and have done it in every season and just about every type of conditions in the Bigfoot and almost as many in the Lazy Daze. The big windows in my MidBath definitely contribute to a colder interior upon waking in the morning after a cold night. I also seem to have some air leakage from the side entry door. I want to work on that door.
 There are a lot of things one can do to help with the Lazy Daze's performance in cold weather. I made a cover for the bathroom skylight, for instance. It's vinyl, with snaps, and lined with Reflectix. One can also put Reflectix in the windows (behind the shades). I use a Wave 3 catalytic heater as well, and a 12V bedwarmer.
 I don't mind sleeping in cooler conditions; in fact, 50 degrees is my optimal sleeping temperature. However, recently while camping in the Vermillion Cliffs National Monument, I woke up to temps in the 30's *inside* the rig. That was with the catalytic heater running on high. The nights were windy and outdoor temps were in the low teens at times. Thankfully, no pipes froze and neither did I, although I did shiver a bit after getting up in the morning!
 I think I need at least one more catalytic heater and I may make it a Wave 6 this time around.
 Part of the reason that my rig stays cooler is that I hate running the noisy furnace. I value quiet sleeping conditions more than warmth. ;)

--Jan Forseth
--
Jan Forseth
2007 27' Midbath named Footloose