Skip to main content
Topic: SURGING PROBLEM (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
SURGING PROBLEM
Yahoo Message Number: 144930
HELP!! Has anyone had a problem with their LD surging at stop signs or while driving.
We have a 1994 RB at the RV repair.  They replaced the ignition sensor (module), which they told me after some research, that it was a factory defect way back when. It is not doing it at stop signs now but is doing it at 45-55 mph.
Any info anyone might have is much appreciated.
Thanks, MariJo Miller

Re: SURGING PROBLEM
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144939
MariJo, we have experienced Ciao surging multiple times in the past, giving us fears of transmission problems (knock on wood- which is still original and never seems to be the issue).

We have had bad gas cause the issue.  Are you getting low on gas?  Fill up and consider changing the fuel filter- Larry and others on here can give good advice on the mechanical details.  Seems like we used a gas additive to help too, bought at any gas station.

Also, most recently, our Catalytic Converter basically disintegrated and the replacement made Ciao as spry as ever.

Hope your issue is simple and quick for you so you can feel confident on the road again soon.
Hope that helps,

Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144940
Thanks Tessa for sharing about the surge problems.

We are experiencing surge problems in our 1998 MB when it is hooked up to our Honda CRV, especially going uphill. Otherwise it is fine. I talked with Sanderson Ford RV/Truck Dept (Glendale, AZ) and made an appointment with them for next week.  They said it could be electrical and/or transmission.  Your  thoughts of needing a new gas filter is helpful.  In any case, I'll give a rundown after my session with Sanderson.

Last year our parking brake system gave out screwing up the transmission shifting and needed a rebuilt assembly to the tune of $2800.  I cringe whenever anything happens to the transmission.  Sanderson Ford, which seems to the acknowledged leader in Ford Engine Repair in the Southwest charges $125 an hour.  Ouch!  That's a lot of hours ($12 an hour) working at Amazon during Christmas  season. Any other comments about surges/shifting/transmission problems while towing car would be appreciated.

David

On Friday, February 7, 2014 9:27 AM,  "tessahill22@..."  wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145001
Thx Tessa Have since I email - replaced the ignition sensor (module) which corrected the "at stop" surging problem and now it does it at 45 mph, so they are replacing a resistor in the transmission.
Just keeps getting better and better, ugh.
 We haven't even had it on the road since we bought it back in July of 2013.  Our kids have but only have a short distance.  Planning a trip with the Lazy Daze Caravan group mid month, so hopefully all is fixed by tomorrow sometime.
Again thanks for the input

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145002
I didn't mean transmission I meant, replacing a resistor in the computer. I guess there where some mixed signals going on.  There are no replacements for the computer due to the age, but they can be rebuilt.  Seems like he said around $500.00 plus labor, just a guess on the cost.