Skip to main content
Topic: pipes freezing? (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
pipes freezing?
Yahoo Message Number: 144806
I'm up here in Portland and just de-winterized my 2006 prior to leaving for sunnier climates next Tuesday. Now the lows for the next couples of nights are going to be in the high 20's with daily highs in the mid-40's. Should I be worried about the lines freezing? the freshwater tank is full so will be OK, but all of lines were flushed with water so I'm sure it's collected in the traps, etc.  Think I'll be OK?

Thanks!

Re: pipes freezing?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144811
As some one has said keep the heat at 40 and you will be ok.
Also leave the cabinet doors open so the heat will get into them for the plumbing water and the traps.
The only trap that you will need to worry about is the shower trap. It is out side and most likely below the RV.
When you get a chance replace the LD trap with a trap that you can remove and dump the water. When I did this I got one with a plug on the bottom to use as a clean out. Now for winter and cold spells I just loosen the cap or remove it compleatly.

George.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144813
Or just pour a cupful of RV antifreeze into the drain. That will lower the hard freeze point well below any temperatures you will get.

Eric
  wrote, On 1/31/2014 6:48 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144814
Hi. We are in Woodburn (just a little south of you). When expecting a freeze, we put a little antifreeze in the holding tanks, nothing in the fresh water tank except the water, and we heat the motorhome with two small cubes at about half power each (600), leaving open all inside doors and drawers. We turn on the water heater. You can also use the LP heating system if you have no electric heaters. We turn off everything when the temperature is okay.

All winter, so far so good.

The Apples

2013 27RB

Woodburn, Oregon
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144815
Addendum: We also have draped blankets between the cab and the living area.

The Apples
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley