Skip to main content
Topic: Snow on the roof (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Snow on the roof
Yahoo Message Number: 144805
We've had a couple of storms in Northern  Michigan in the last few days and I've got about a foot of snow on the roof of our 22' LD.  We're ready to head south for a month next week and would like to get it off before we head out.  I dread the thought of having it blow off all at once with following traffic.

Any ideas how to get it off.  The bottom part is pretty solid, so a broom won't work. Hard to shovel because of all the stuff on the roof (solar panels, air conditioner, antenna) that's hidden by the snow.

Any problem with taking it to a car wash and using hot water to get it off.

Thanks,

John

Re: Snow on the roof
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144819
Hi John,

I see you haven't had any responses about removing the snow from the roof of your LD.  Not many LD's probably live in snow country.;-)

Regarding going to a car wash and using hot water to blast off the snow, I *don't* think I would do that with hot water.

Have you ever seen a snow rake? These are basically a long pole with a piece of foam on the end that allows you to push and pull to remove snow from roofs. I seen these in use at car dealerships to remove snow so the inventory is visible. The foam edges on these "rakes" seem to allow the snow to be removed without damaging the paint finish. There are also used to remove snow from roofs on houses. I think you can buy one at places like a Home Depot or Lowes, and perhaps hardware stores.

If it were me, I think I would park the LD as off level as possible, then get out a step ladder and remove as much snow as possible. Then turn some heat on in the LD to start melting the crusty stuff that is on the roof surface. Hopefully it will start melting. IF not, and outside temps are above freezing, I would get out a hose and rinse it off, but again, I don't like the idea of hot water and I would not use a power washer either.

Wave as you drive through Ohio. When you reach your destination, I would give the undercarriage a good rinsing to get all the road salt and brine off. We've used a lot of salt on the roads this year.

Steve K.
Steve K

2003 Mid-bath

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144824
I second the idea of heating up the RV as much as possible. I was caught in Maryland in 2003 during a big snowstorm; about 20 inches or so. Once the LD had been warm for a while, I was able to get on top and chop by hand and slide huge chunks off the sides. Still a lot of work and hard to manage around the vents, but that got the majority of it off.

David (back in MD but exercising the LD today on on of the few days above freezing in weeks!)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144825
Living in Vermont we do see snow.  A big problem for some years is the ice under the snow which sounds a lot like your current problem.  A couple of years ago we had a severe issue with this ice under snow, it caused leaking roofs and dormers - a really bad problem that almost everyone had - but it did look pretty.

Anyway after a lot of research we came up with the following which should help you with your current situation and should help in the future.

Get some old pantyhose and cut the legs off.  Fill them with rock salt and place them on the slope of your LD.  Around your equipment (sounds like great stuff - our '96 doesn't even know what a solar panel is!).  Failing the panty-hose  knee length socks will work also.  You will be surprised at how fast this can take care of the ice.  we put them in the gutters to melt the ice and keep it out - worked fine, also at the top of the slope horizontally where the ice begins.

Here is  rather funny link to one guys' efforts to get rid of his ice dams.  He didn't think  the panty-hose idea worked - but it did for us. http://www.structuretech1.com/2013/02/how-to-remove-ice-dams/

Good Luck!

Sandy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144833
Thanks Steve,

I've got a snow rake, but there are too many things on the roof for it to be effective.  Anntenae, air conditioner, vents and two solar panels get in the way.

The last couple of weeks it hasn't gotten above the teens here, with many nights, and some days, below zero.  Heating the unit just doesn't melt anything.

Thanks,

John