Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing ld upholstery (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing ld upholstery
Yahoo Message Number: 144769
My husband and I are the third owners of a very well maintained 1996 king twin ld. Due we think to illness, it has been kept in climate controlled storage for the past 3 years and packed with the sheets of about 30 boxes of dryer sheets from all we can tell. No amount of airing out, baking soda or fabreze, baking bread or pies etc can get that smell out. We have decided to replace the carpet(blue) I am not a blue person.also the upholstery on the sofa( blue).
The rub is I don't sew that well. We priced out the labor to replace the cushion covers and while we are still shopping around, were appalled at the estimate of $1000 to do so. This involves just making cases for the cushions, not replacing the intricately tucked, pleated and buttoned material we have. It also does not cover the 12 yards of material to do so.
We called ld and they do not replace these covers. For $2000 including $350 -$500 for shipping, ld will replace them for us. This is also not an option.
So. Can anyone share a source that provides covers for these cushions that would be less expensive? I will try washing a side cushion, but washing the rubber shelf liners did not remove the odor and I am afraid even dry cleaning the fabric may not work either.
Suggestions for getting rid of that smell would also be great.
Thanks for your help. Obviously we are new to your group. I have been impressed by the extent of knowledge you folks have been willing to share.
Sandy

Re: Replacing ld upholstery
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144770
Upon buying our LD, we wanted to wash all the upholstery. I cut all the 'buttons' off the cushions, washed them and put them back together. A quick tutorial on YouTube completed the transformation by helping me 're-tie' the buttons. It was great!  A couple hours of work and they looked brand new!

If the smell won't come out on the first wash try adding somewhere vinegar to the wash. It does wonders on odors. Good luck!  that's my two cents.

James E Fenn

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144773
I would suggest you place several bowls of white vinegar throughout the coach.  Close the doors and windows and come back the following day to refresh the bowls with more white vinegar.  It just could save you a lot of green dollars on new upholstery.  It'll cost you a few dollars and a few days to rid your coach of unwanted odors!  Also great for removing cigarette smoke odors in a coach that has been smoked in by a previous owner.

Fred

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144779
"Suggestions for getting rid of that  smell would also be great."

Sandy

If your LD has one or more Fantastic ceiling fans, turn them on, open the other vents and leave the fans on for a week or more, if necessary. This has worked to removed some really bad smells from various rigs.
A small carpet cleaner, rented from a local home center can also help by cleaning the carpet and any of the upholstery that is being retained..
As you have found out, replacement for cushions can get very expensive, the reason why slip covers are so common in RVs. Might be a simplier and less expensive option.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144781
Thanks so much. We need to get the temperature above freezing long enough to line dry things and then give it a try.
Sandy