Skip to main content
Topic: Austin (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Austin
Yahoo Message Number: 144731
I'm heading from Q to Austin for President's Day weekend, then staying to attend a conference February 21 and 22.  I'd appreciate all your suggestions about how to get there, good places to stop, and where to stay in Austin.

Has anyone stayed at the Emma Long Metropolitan Park? McKinney Falls State Park has been recommended. Close in to the city is good.

Keeping a wary eye on the weather, too.

Appreciate all your help.

Kathy Lautz
1999 MB

Re: Austin
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144735
Thanks for your reply, George.

The conference is at the University of Texas. My mental map of Austin is sketchy but I'll be studying the online maps.

I understand hiking is plentiful along the greenways by the river. And in McKinney. Shopping? Not so much. No place to put anything. :-)

I would like to see the capitol, the LBJ library and museum, and am open to other suggestions. I've found a couple of food websites that have lots of info. (I'm a foodie and the conference is about food!)  I'm sure there's info about live music readily available. I like blues better than country. I like Delbert McClintock, Los Lonely Boys, Poorboycitos, Keb Mo, etc. Will have to find clubs that specialize in the music I like.

After Austin, I'm headed to New Orleans for the Jazz and Heritage Festival. There's plenty of time between the two events, so I might enjoy hanging around the Austin area for two or three weeks. Are there any private RV parks in the immediate area of Austin that you'd recommend? Preferrably with a reasonable weekly or even monthly rate? I'm quite comfortable "urban camping."

Q = Quartzsite. A lot of fun and a lot of rig enhancements going on  in the encampment. Good campfire conversation fodder.

Kathy Lautz

WanderLautz  
1999 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144739
My runs to texas ends this year-thankfully sure wont miss the traffic on I 35  here are some spots KOA Leander-north of Leander

Austin RV Park North-at I 35 & Loop 45 (Toll Road http://www.blessingrvpark/.
Turky shop café of I 35 north by Waco is really good service so so The Turkey Shop Smokin' Cafe is about 22 miles north of Waco at the Abbott exit. The doors are open Tuesday through Sunday, 10:30am to 8pm. You can call in your order for Thanksgiving or any other day at 254/580-9644

best bque in austin

1) Franklin Barbecue Aaron's superlative 'cue gets even better as the restaurant (and the queue) slowly expands. Get in line very early now on Saturdays and be rewarded with an ethereal beef rib.
2) John Mueller Meat Co. Mercurial John Mueller has mellowed and, for my money, hit a sustained, superlative groove, smoking amazing barbecue in his comfy Eastside chain-link compound.
3) La Barbecue John Lewis has escaped the shadow of mentors Franklin and Mueller and thrust his head high, with great sausage and amazing smoked meats at his new Eastside digs.
4) Micklethwait Craft Meats Tom Micklethwait is crafting unctuous artisanal sausages to go with the high-quality smoked meats he churns out from his vintage 1960 Comet trailer.
5) Stiles Switch BBQ & Brew Lance Kirkpatrick has got a sweet, smoky gig going on in Brentwood, and his brisket and ribs (beef chuck and pork spare) just keep getting better and better.
6) Live Oak Barbecue Tom Spaulding and the Stocktons are giving the other Eastside pits a run for their money, not only with their standard menu, but their creative smoky Saturday specials.
7) Blue Ox BBQ Chase Palmer's trailer off of Riverside sits next to Buzz Mill's retro-chic patio. These dudes have hit a home run with anything pork-related; best smoked pork tenderloin ever.
8) Kerlin BBQ The Kerlins are newbies, but have made a strong showing right off the bat: They use sweet-smelling pecan wood and crank out pork ribs and sausage to die for.
9) Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ Los dos Miguels (Vidal and Lerner) are another new trailer on the scene, using the kiss of mesquite to smoke pulled pork and brisket for heavenly tacos.
10) Mann's Smokehouse Bar-B-Que Jim and Sallie have been smoking top-notch beef ribs and pulled pork for years, but we also love the 15 different home-cooked sides they offer

Kevin

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144741
Kathy, you've likely checked out RV park Reviews for the Austin area, but..

http://rvparkreviews.com/regions/Texas/Austin.html

I didn't stay at McKinney Falls, but at $20.00 a night for 30A, it would seem to be worth checking out:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/mckinney-falls

Two attractions that I enjoyed were the Lady Bird Wildflower Center and Zilker Gardens; late-February timing is probably too early for the bluebonnets, but there are other plants in bloom:

http://www.wildflower.org/

http://www.zilkergarden.org/

And, you know that Whole Foods is based in Austin; the flagship store is at West 6th and Lamar.  Might be worth a pilgrimage! ;-) There are other WF locations, including 'Arbor Trails' in the south part of Austin.

Austin's traffic can be pretty grim, but you're used to the Bay Area, so that will be a plus!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144742
Kathy, if you can snag a spot at Pecan Grove RV Park then you are one lucky duck!  It's a great in-town location, a real classic.  Not sure how many years it will still be around (I understand it's already been sold to a condo developer and it's time is limited), so get there while you can.  I manage to get reservations there approximately 1 in 4 times that I call.  May the force be with you!

1518 Barton Springs Rd, Austin, TX 78704 (512) 472-1067

Hope that helps, Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144749
Kathy, Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is not to be missed.  Blooms won't be peaking for another month or so after your visit, but the place is worth a visit any time of year for the exhibits, garden sculptures, grounds, architecture, and a peaceful (no crowds this time of year) place to sit a spell and enjoy a cuppa!

http://www.wildflower.org/visit/

You can also visit my "old" blog, (at April 1, 2009) for photos of this lovely park:  http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/2009/04/one-of-trio-of-red-eared-sliders.html

As to places to stop on the way, if you're taking Highway 10, I highly recommend exploring San Antonio, Balmorhea State Park and Fredericksburg with a side trip to McDonald Observatory and Davis State Park.  Again, photos and commentary on my blog (March, 2009).

Have a wonderful trip -- more coming in a PM!

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144750
Kathy,

McKinney Falls is a good place.  There is also a Corp of Engineer Campground north of Austin about 15-20 miles that is very good also.  We camp there a lot but we live north of Austin.

Another LDer, Glenda uses Pecan Grove RV park as her home base and it is right down town.  Though there are a lot of full timers I understand that they do hold a number of sites for visitors.  You might call them.
(512) 472-1067 it is located at 1518 Barton Springs Road, Austin.

Terry R

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144771
Hi, Cynthia,

Thanks for your detailed and food-centric reply. Having no idea of what a pistolette is, I searched, and now I want one! I love Korean food. The conference I'm attending is about Japanese food. More suggestions are always welcome.

I scored a reservation at Pecan Grove RV park,
1999 MB