Skip to main content
Topic: Tire installation problems (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Tire installation problems
Yahoo Message Number: 144581
Here's a question for the group: how can you tell if wheel studs have been damaged by too much torque?

A friend of mine had six new tires installed today by a big-city Ford dealership. After she she picked up the rig, she soon realized that one of the rear tires was extremely low. She took it back to the Ford place (having driven about ten miles total, including some freeway mileage), where it turned out to have only 12 psi (!). She's going to ask them to replace the tire, on the assumption that driving on it has damaged it.

In addition, the kid who had installed the tires told her that the dealership has no torque wrench (I am not making this up!), and that he just put on the lug nuts with an air wrench. So she's concerned that the studs may have been damaged. Anybody know how likely that is, and how you can tell if damage has occurred?

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: Tire installation problems
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144582
Andy IMO it is unlikely that the threads are damaged by  this even if the air wrench was set to a relatively high value of torque, which  it probalbly was not. If a lug nut can be threaded onto the stud by hand, I  don't think the stud is damaged.
Tom

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144583
Thanks, Tom. Would anybody care to venture an opinion on whether driving 10 miles on a rear dually tire with only 12 psi, including freeway travel at 60 mph, would damage the tire?

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144584
Well that is certainly beyond my area of expertise. I will say this- I would be very  unhappy about it and probably would demand a new tire.
Tom

Thanks, Tom. Would anybody care to venture an opinion on whether driving 10  miles on a rear dually tire with only 12 psi, including freeway travel at 60  mph, would damage the tire?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144586
That's an excellent point. I should have thought of  that. The low tire was not damaged.
Tom

The low tire was not carrying the load.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144588
"The low tire was not carrying the load."

Because...? The low tire was just along for the ride; the pressurized tire had the load.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144591
I've did once, inadvertently, and the tire lasted just as long as the others. My guess is the axle is held up by the other tire, which keeps the forces low on the soft tire. The tire people that fixed the problem (bad stem that leaked) weren't concerned about, but they did remove and examine it anyway.

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 1/17/2014 5:09 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144592
If you can remove the rims and then run the nut on all the way by hand there is no damage to the trread. The thread would have been pulled forward if deformed. The nut would not move by hand.
 As far as the tire with only 12# of air there would not be any damage from LOAD. All the load was on the tire with 80#? If you were to look at the two tires and they are touching at the road area then were could be rudding each other and wearing the side wall. Had the tire with 12# of air not been inflated at all that could be a different case. The tire that I would be more conserned about is the good (80#) tire. The tire is to carry 2680# of load. The two tires would be shearing about 4500# of weight. The good tire was carring all this load so it would have been carring 2000# more than it was to designed to carry.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144596
We've also had the issue.  Apparently ran over a road hazard which cut through the inside right rear tire.  I have no idea as to how long we drove in that condition as I, as the driver, never felt a thing.  When we reached our overnight campground and were setting up, I did my usual inspection of the rig and noticed that the right rear outer appeared to be low on air.  When I check, it was fine PSI wise but the inner read near zero.  So the right rear outer was carrying the load.
 There was a truck stop just up the road - six miles - a phone call later determined that they had a match for the tire and I had an appointment made the next morning.  We drove to the truck stop at a very moderate speed as the truck stop could not send out a truck to change it at the  campground.  May not have been the best solution but it worked for us.

Bob in Florida SE 5

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:06 AM, "spambox41@..."  wrote:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144602
Many thanks to all who responded. My friend reports that the Ford dealership removed, checked and reinstalled all six tires this morning. As several of you predicted, the tire that was down to 12 pounds was undamaged, as far as they can tell. The cause of the air loss was rust on the bead--the kid who installed the tires yesterday had wiped it lightly with brake cleaner, but made no attempt to clean off the rust. It has been wirebrushed, and everything seems OK now.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144612
Time to fire the manager he is the one who threw the kid to the wolves. No training or oversight but more or less normal.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144613
"Time to fire the manager he is the one who threw the kid to the wolves. No training or oversight..."

Good point, Garry. To be fair, the service manager was very sympathetic, agreed that the way the job was done was completely unacceptable, and had it redone this morning by an experienced mechanic, with my friend watching every move. But you're right that the dealership should have trained this kid to do the job right.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144623
"Here's a question for the group: how can you tell if wheel studs have been damaged by too much torque?

Andy

Wheel stud are made from high strength alloy and almost never strip out, instead the lug nuts are made of softer metal which lets the nut's threads strip, when over tightened.
Damaged studs are shown by distortion of or lengthening between the threads.  If the threads look damaged, they are.

As for the two rear tires, I would demand two new tires. While it probably didn't damage the tires, the tire shop messed up and sent your friend out on a flat tire.

FYI  In most case when a tire has been damaged by overloading, due to the lack of air pressure, a trained tech can detect it by examining the inside of the tire.
 A TPMS would have prevented this situation from occurring, by showing the low pressure before your friend let the tire store. I have become spoiled by not having to check the tire pressure daily and is sure feels good to know the pressure is being monitored and by the ease of manually checking the pressure.
Wish I had done it years ago.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144628
Larry Wade wrote: TPMS have prevented this situation from occurring, by showing the low  pressure before your friend let the tire store. I have become spoiled by not  having to check the tire pressure daily and is sure feels good to know the  pressure is being monitored and by the ease of manually checking the  pressure.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 144630
"TPMS [would] have prevented this situation from occurring, by showing the low pressure before your friend let the tire store."
 Exactly. Which is why (among other reasons) I ordered a 10-wheel PressurePro system this morning. :-)

Andy Baird
Andy Baird