Skip to main content
Topic: Replacing charger/converter (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic
Replacing charger/converter
Yahoo Message Number: 144541
Well, friends, I've got myself in a position where I'm way beyond my know-how capability. First, I have a 1995 22' FL Lazy Daze. I bought a Progressive Dynamics 9245 converter online and thought I could replace my old (original I think) MagneTec with it. The MagneTec is a Series 6300A 36 amp charger and the new one is 45 amp.

First question, did I buy a size that'll work in my RV?
 Second question (and here's where I'm really lost) the wiring on the PD replacement is nothing like the wiring on the MagneTec. The new one comes with positive, negative, and ground wire connectors, plus a 2-foot-long pig-tail that's obviously designed for an outlet somewhere.
 The old MagneTec had no built-in, nearby outlet for a plug-in and had 5 wires that ran from the charger to the fuse panel section above it. So I have no idea how to hook up this new rig. I know some of you are experts in this stuff and if you can give me some guidance I'd sure appreciate it.
 Last summer I installed a surge protector without trouble but it was pretty easy to say what went where. Not so, for me, with this little job.

Thanks so much for any help.

Chuck in Bellevue, WA

Re: Replacing charger/converter
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144543
Thank you Joan; I appreciate your suggestion. It may be that my task it to simply install an outlet for that plug from the PD charger to go into, but I'd rather be sure than guess at this. That's not even something I'd thought of earlier.

Chuck

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144544
Bestconverter.com is a good company to do bussiness with. I bought. an upgrade unit from them and installed it myself.
 Went from a simple single stage charger to the newer mult-stage smart charger. They know what they are selling and what you need.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144548
To those who suggested help, thank you. It turns out that this morning I was able to get help from a technician at PD who told me where the three DC wires connect to the new charger, and how I can connect the AC wires. So with a few modifications I think I've got a good start.

Chuck in Bellevue, WA
1995 Lazy Daze 22' FL

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144549
I purchased & installed a PD 4645 I bought from Randy @ bestconverter.com last year. Thing works like a champ. As I recall, it recharges @ 33 amps/hr @ 14.4v if the battery is between 50-90%. Over 90% charged, it drops to 22amps/hr (ie C10 rate for 220 amp dual 6v batteries) @ 13.6v. Over 99%, it drops to a trickle rate.
 It also has individual red indicator lights over each fuse on the front panel, so if something goes out, you don't have to pull each fuse looking to see which one(s) failed. Also, it has a green indicator light that indicates the battery charge level (constant and two blink rates). Not as good as an actual volt meter, but a good secondary way to check your battery charge level that's quick, easy and better than the LD idiot panel.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144550
Not sure you want to perform any mods. The PD 4600 series are plug compatible swaps for the Magnatek 6300 series converters. In my case, I swapped my M6345 for the PD 4645 - pretty easy breezy. You may want to re-consider, and if possible, simply try and go for an exchange. If that doesn't work, see if you can return the unit and start over again after talking/confirming specs with Randy @ bestconverter.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144561
Thanks for your further information about dealing with Best Converter. What I purchased is definitely not a straight swap-out for the MagneTec 6300 that was in my rig, and if what you're suggesting would work for me I'd definitely go for a different model. I'll check with them further tomorrow when they're open and see what Randy suggests. Thanks for your help. Sorry you didn't leave a name so I feel like I'm not being very personal here.

Chuck in Bellevue

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144565
Hi Chuck,

I am late to this discussion, however, I have been down the same road and thought that I would add my two-cents.

Originally I had a truck camper with a MagneTek 6330.  Then I had a 2005 LD with the Parallax 7355 (? maybe it was 7345).  I now have an SOB that came with a PD4560 charger/converter.  IMHO the PD 4500 Series units would come close to being "direct replacements" for the MagnaTek 6300 or Parallax 7300 series units.  However, there are dimensional differences that need to be addressed.

As you are now aware, the PD unit that you purchased is really a replacement for the charger/converter section (bottom part) of your MagneTek 6300 unit.  Doing the replacement is not difficult, however, if you are not comfortable with it I would suggest that you find some professional help.

There are others in this group that have replaced the lower (converter/charger) section of their Parallax 7355 (? or was it 7345 ) charger/converters with Progressive Dynamics 9100 and 9200 Series units.  The two that I personally know are Art (Older Fossil) and Larry (lws531?).  I know that Larry has published a paper on doing the convertion, but I cannot find the link to it.  Maybe you can contact him through this group and get "aiming instructions."  Also if you Google something like "RV Converter/Converter Swaps" you should get more sources of information.  I know that there are detailed descriptions for doing the swap in the Born Free users group (Leaping Lions) web site.

If you might come to the Los Angeles area, you might contact Larry about doing the conversion for you.  Larry does LD repair work, a lot of it  for members of this group, and is very familiar with all ages of the LD.

As noted, I no longer own an LD.  However, a couple of years ago I replaced the charger/converter section of  Parallax 7355 with a Best Converters "Boondocker" 60amp unit that I bought from Randy @ Best Converters. I didn't put it into the space at the bottom of the Parallax 7355, but mounted it near the battery box which was under the refrigerator on my 2005 MB.

Chuck,  if I can be of any additional help either post here or contact me via PM.

Side Note to jctaylor

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144566
This thing got sent before I was ready to send it.

Side Note to jctaylor1941

Joan, as I promised you I will not go away and will contribute when I think that I have something of value to say.  "Once an LD owner, forever an LD fan and supporter."

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144570
"...as I promised you I will not go away and will contribute when I think that I have something of value to say.  "Once an LD owner, forever an LD fan and supporter." "

Thanks, Doug!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144590
Well, today I got hold of Randy at Best Converter and ordered a different unit from him; I can return the earlier one I'd bought because I hadn't used it at all. Special thanks to Joan and Doug and someone else (who gave no name) for suggesting this supplier to me.
 Randy suggested a kit that I understand will make it easier to drop in the new converter without so many modifications and I'm really happy to know that's available. The new converter arrives next week and I look forward to seeing how it's made to fit and replace the original Magnetec. Thank you all again......... Chuck in Bellevue