Skip to main content
Topic: Washboard roads (was Tires) (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Washboard roads (was Tires)
Yahoo Message Number: 144505
It was suggested that driving faster on a washboard road will smooth out the ride.  It will.  Finding the right speed depends on the suspension and tires you are using as well as the size and spacing of the bumps on the road.  Thus, something that feels smooth to you in the rig may be tearing your toad apart.
 There is a real safety concern here, though.  The ride smooths out because you are traveling too fast for your suspension to follow the road surface.  Your tires are just hitting the high points.  This results in a dramatic reduction of steering and braking ability.  So - if you are going to speed up on such roads (I have, and probably will do so again) be aware of this and slow well before any curves or anyplace where braking might be needed.  It is a risk.

Ken F in NM
'08 MB

Re: Washboard roads (was Tires)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144507
"It was suggested that driving faster on a washboard road will smooth out the ride.

This is an old trick passenger cars and pickup use to 'get on top' of the washboard and float over the top of the ridges. I do this regularly in the Jeep but need to stay alert to keep from floating off the side of the road or turning sideways, the tires have little contact with the road surface when at speed. For more fun and control on washboard, in a Jeep, leave it in 4X4-high range. It's also recommend for reducing the formation of deeper washboard since it keeps the tires from spinning, when the wheel is unloaded

Our 2003 23.5' FL E450 suspension is too heavy to get going fast enough to float and the attempt to get to that speed will absolutely rattle your teeth out...I have tried and failed miserably (and have the chipped teeth to prove it).
 LDs are wonderful motorhomes and lousy off-road machines, its the nature of the beast.
An back-road capable toad, mountain bike, or your feet, are your best bets for back-country exploration.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144509
+1 on what Ken said!

At times I'll drive our Jeep fast enough to smooth out the washboard effect, BUT ONLY when I have good visibility (i.e. straight road and good light).  If I approach a curve, another vehicle, or an area where conditions change I'll slow down until I am confident again.  I'm totally focused on watching the road conditions as far out as I can.

Because of being closer to edge of control driving like this, I will not drive the motorhome like I will the Jeep.  It is just too heavy the the consequences much larger.  Also, I always am in 4WD in the Jeep on washboard.  This is not an option in our MH.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144513
I have a different explanation for the ride becoming smooth that does not involve a dramatic reduction in steering and braking ability, because I have not experienced any dramatic reductions attributable to the washboard. Because you are traveling 25 or 30 mph instead of less than 10 mph is plenty enough reason to expect longer braking distances and steering changes, regardless of the road surface.

Eric Greenwell

Kenneth Fears wrote, On 1/13/2014 7:10 AM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144519
If you want to get good practice driving on washboard in New Mexico, go to Chaco Canyon. I unhook the toad to do that road to hold down the paint damage. The trip is well worth it though.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'