Skip to main content
Topic: A rear camera (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
A rear camera
Yahoo Message Number: 144486
Are they a "must have" when towing? I am debating whether or not to get one as put together a tow package for our CRV. Sure it would be a great piece of mind but just trying to minimize cost. I already have a tire pressure monitor system which I consider a must have.

Anyone towing or has towed without a camera?
2021 Mid Bath

Re: A rear camera
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144487
"Are they a 'must have' when towing?"

Just my opinion: a rear-mounted camera is nice to have when towing, but it's not essential, especially if you have a tire pressure monitoring system.

However, I feel it is a "must have" when backing up (when not towing)! When properly installed and aimed, a backup camera shows your rig's rear bumper at the bottom of the screen, so that you can see exactly how close you are to whatever is behind you. That can save you from expensive rear-end repairs, making the camera a good investment, in my opinion.

"just trying to minimize cost."

Understood. However, a backup camera needn't be expensive. The $350 #56-CHNV system from RVCams is the one many of us have installed. You can read more about backup video cameras in this Eureka article.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144490
When we started towing, I just had a fresnel on the back window of our MB.  That was soon replaced with a wide angle camera and a monitor by the dash.  I mostly wanted to see that the tires looked ok and that the Jeep was tracking properly.  Since we added a TPMS, I've stopped using the camera (took the monitor out and out the TPMS display in its place).  For backing the rig (without the Jeep attached) my wife with a radio does just fine.

My 2,000 millicents,
Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144491
The camera isn't as important as a TPMS on the towed IMOO.

Dave W sitting in Livingston, TX
20 + MH's since 1977 incl...
Past
FMC, 2x GMC's, Foretravel, 2x LD
Present
1996 LD RB under restoration, my project to keep me off the streets.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144493
Yes, we used the Fresnel too, but my wife was really upset when she had to stand out in the pouring rain. So I bought a camera. :-)

Dick

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144501
I have towed both with and without a backup camera and now would not be without it.  I have a TPMS too, but experience with it makes me not trust it except for major tire issues.  The primary things I watch via the backup camera are the tow bar connections to my Jeep and the operation of the magnetic tow lights that are on top of the Jeep.  I also like it when going through service stations, shopping center parking lots and other tight places where you really want to know what the toad is doing.
 If you get a backup camera, get one that has a good IR illumination capability.  When you must backup at night, it provides much greater visibility than the LD backup lights.

Doug

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144510
We are on our second LD.  The first did not have a back up camera or electrically controlled mirrors.  Our second had both and I would not be without either.  If ordering a new LD the overall cost is slight and well worth it in the long run.  The extra eye of the back up camera comes in real handy and the ability to adjust the mirrors on the fly is a great safety feature, especially in tight spots.

Just my thoughts.

Bob in sunny Florida.  SE 5

On Monday, January 13, 2014 2:17 AM, Doug Baker  wrote: