Skip to main content
Topic: Microline 4000 Generator won't run... except it will... (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Microline 4000 Generator won't run... except it will...
Yahoo Message Number: 144471
Hi folks.

As a refresher, I have an Onan Microquiet 4000 Gen (Model KY) that's on our 2009 MB. Before the cold snap hit GA, I tried to run it to be sure I would have emergency power. It wouldn't run and gave error code 45,which is "Speed sensor fault, controller unable to sense Quadrature frequency." The outside temperature was around 20 degrees at the time.
Well, today it's about 54 right now and the generator is humming merrily along after starting immediately.
I think it's fair to draw at least some of the following conclusions:
1) California motorhome manufacturers supply generators that run only when the temperature is near 60 :)
2) The problem was definitely electrical, not fuel related.

It seems possible that this generator _does have_ an oil pressure switch, and that the colder temperatures did not allow the pressure to build enough to allow the generator to run. I'm not sure how to check this, exactly, but I'm going to try. According to the manual, I should be OK on the viscosity of the oil, but possibly being about 1/2 qt low in the cold temps was the problem. I may never get a definitive answer, but I'll keep looking.

Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Re: Microline 4000 Generator won't run... except it will...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144476
Hi ken. Glad your gen is ok, I don't thing any generator is designed to start at 5 degrees regardless of the origin of the coach! A coach in storage at 5 degrees will get very cold, besides being tight and Being lubricated by oil that is nearly frozen, it's amazing it even turned over at all. Most cars require block hearers in situation that cold to start. I really think it's just not reasonable to expect your onan generator to work under the extreme conditions seen during the last week.

Sent by wireless

Re: Microline 4000 Generator won't run... except it will...
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144495
Hi Don (et al).

I'm not sure you caught it, but the "origin of the coach" comment I made was purely tongue-in-cheek. Just wanted to be sure you realized it.
On the "not starting in what was really closer to 20 degrees when I tried to start the generator", we may have to agree to disagree. Firstly, I must admit I have no experience running generators in sub freezing temps. However, the generator manual gives instructions for running in temps down to -10 degrees, so I assume it's possible. The manual doesn't mention preheating the generator, so I assume that is not a factor. Finally, since the engine is basically a "lawn mower" engine (4 stroke gasoline engine), there are lots of winter machinery of that type that seems to work in 20 degree temps; snow blowers and snowmobiles come to mind.
I must reiterate, I have no experience with this; it just seems logical to me that the generator should run without problems in these temps. And the generator had no problems "turning over" when I tried to start it. It just didn't add up in my feeble mind.

Thanks for helping.
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner