Skip to main content
Topic: Battery Charge Info (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Battery Charge Info
Yahoo Message Number: 144447
I have a 2003 MB, and was wondering how many amps (max) are sent to the battery when the batteries are low and I run the generator. The power supply is a Parallex Series 7300. The power supply says all 45 amps are available to charge the batteries but I doubt that the batteries get 45 amps.

Thanks

Lon in Lake County, CA

Re: Battery Charge Info
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144452
"I have a 2003 MB, and was wondering how many amps (max) are sent to the  battery when the batteries are low and I run the generator. The power  supply is a Parallex Series 7300"

Lon

The 7300s output is very low. With drained batteries, the charge will start in the high 30-amps but quickly drops off into the 20's or teens. Bigger solar systems can outpace the 7300, it is  a very poor converter for boondockers.

If you are regularly using the generator for battery charging, you need to upgrade to a much "smarter" converter to significantly reduce the generator run time. With low batteries, the 7300 can take 15 hours to fully recharge, a "smart" converter can do it in 1/3-1/2 the time. Less run time means less fuel expense, less wear on the generator and. best of all, you don't have to listen to the generator running for hours on end.

I have used products and advice from Best Converters for years.
http://www.bestconverter.com/ Many of their upgraded converters directly replace the stock 7300 converter without major modification.
The change out can be done by someone with decent electrical knowledge, not necessary an expert.
If at all hesitant, have a pro do it, it doesn't take that much time .
Be safe.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Battery Charge Info
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144454
Thanks to all who responded, I won't take an extra battery charger to Quartzite. Just let my 2 85 watt solar panels and generator do their thing.

Lon in Lake County, CA