Skip to main content
Topic: Setting up for towing - Insurance (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Setting up for towing - Insurance
Yahoo Message Number: 144427
When our 40-foot pusher burned in our driveway in late 2011, our insurance reps examined it, and us, very closely. They eventually had to declare it not suitable for repair and they had to pay Local Retail Value per our policy--six figures.
 The fire department was only a few minutes away, so the fire did not get a chance to burn through the floor or even through three sides, leaving a big hole in the side and in the roof above where the big four-door Norcold remains were and charring the entire inside of the RV, so the cause was very clear. Still, the insurance people looked at every angle, including whether on LP or AC at the time--It was on AC. They also checked into whether we had responded to the three Norcold recalls that had occurred by then, which we had.
 Since then, USAA has stopped insuring recreational vehicles and now refers their clients to other insurers for RV coverage while continuing coverage for our cars, homes, etc. For example, we were referred to Progressive for our new LD. This, even though we have been preferred USAA customers since the 1960s.

Another example - A few years ago, an uninsured kid hit my car at an intersection by darting into an illegal left turn in front of my slowly oncoming vehicle. He stopped for a minute and spoke to someone who had stopped behind him, then promptly left the scene, as did the person behind him. His family insurance company tried to get mine to pay by saying a witness denied all the above. The so-called witness turned out to be someone who knew the kid, who was following the kid in another vehicle at the time, who also left the scene when the kid left, and then could not be located again after phoning in his statement....
 So, if there is a reason not to pay, your insurance company will look for it, and they should.

s/Terry Apple 2013 27RB
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley