Skip to main content
Topic: Smartphone severe weather alert apps (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Smartphone severe weather alert apps
Yahoo Message Number: 144390
Anyone have any experience with any of the apps for smartphones or tablets that will let you know about weather alerts?  Either IOS or Android could be used.  We have a weather alert feature in our CB, but that is not very location specific and does not offer any info until you've listened to the NOAA broadcasts long enough to get to your area.  The smartphones/tablets use GPS to give you a more specific picture of what is happening.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: Smartphone severe weather alert apps
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144392
I just use The Weather Channel app and it features alerts. We also use Willy Weather

Bill Bussiere

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144395
I use both IMap Weather Radio app & Weatherbug app. The latter is more like having your local forecaster with radarin your phone & IPad. The other allows you to set what alerts you want - lots of choices. The only thing you need to do after initial setup, is to remember on arrival at a new location, to let it locate you. Having a tornado watch, then a tornado warning go off at 3 am plays havoc with one's attempt to sleep, only to find it was in the last place I had stayed. Still far better then trying to figure out what county you are in.
 I do use The Weather Channel app on my iPad on occasion, but find the web cams to be a nuisance, I can't figure out how to make that option part-time mode.

Melinda
2011 27' MB
http://wovenjourney.blogspot.com>
2011 Mid Bath

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144397
Hi All,

I have weather alerts on my CB, Smart Phone and then there is my little red weather cube that my friend bought me from Radio Shack that only tunes into NOAA Weather Station only. It runs on 4 AA batteries, has an extending antenna volume control, fine tuner and an on and off grey button on the top of the cub with an LED indicator. It's about 4" square. It has come in very handy on numerous occasions.

For example: I just received a NOAA Wind Advisory for Ventura and Los Angeles Counties for high winds starting Sunday morning at 3 AM and continuing until Monday noon. Not recommended for high profile vehicles. Winds North by Northeast, 20 to 30 MPH with gusts to 40 MPH. Well with that information at hand, I will be staying home tomorrow and Monday.

Red Sky

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144406
If you have a browser app,  bookmark www.weather.gov.   You can zoom into local areas from the national map or enter a city or zip.  It doesn't send alerts AFAIK, but is current.
Joel & Terry Wiley
dog Zeke
2013  31 IB   Orwan   / 2011 CRV Tow'd LWEROVE

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144407
WX Alert USA, also known as Weather Alert USA is an app that has alerts for every weather condition - and- public emergency known to man. Can set which alerts you want and set silent time if you wish; has loud squawking alert sound that should wake anyone up. Can pick current location or another location or both. I have had it successfully alert multiple times. However in KY last month I did not get my tornado warming alert; and forgot to go back to see if I had set it wrong.

For tornados the Red Cross alert works, but it always seemed to go off a minute or two after other sources.

I also use THV and Weather Bug Elite for weather apps.

Marcia and Leon Panoply - 2006 LD MB Parenthetical - 2001 Jeep Liberty Sport