Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze Brake Replacement. and a Transmission Question? (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Lazy Daze Brake Replacement. and a Transmission Question?
Yahoo Message Number: 144386
Larry and Others,
 Just to let you know that my brake job is completed. After very careful checking for leaks after bleeding, the brakes work great upon testing. Since it showed no major wear and tear on the rotors, I decided not to have these turned.
 On the back I just replaced the calipers, pads and hoses. I did not replace the mounting brackets. With the hose replacements I hit a little snag. The left rear hose came with a new section of steel tubing for connection to a "T". The right side however came with a hose only whereas the original was a one-piece flex hose with steel tubing connected to the "T". That is what Napa shows on their book. Consequently I had to bend my own steel tubing according to the old one. Fortunately without any kinks.
 As you mentioned the front calipers were much heavier since they were only available including the mounting brackets. Instead of fighting this I just split them up, installed the brackets and pads first and next the caliper. Unfortunately, on the right front the bleeding valve was frozen solidly. Even the Napa guys could not release it. Consequently, I had to replace the caliper. But all by all it worked out great.
 Since it is a little over 30,000 miles that I had my transmission serviced, I am planning to do this myself after my next trip to Arizona, Lake Havasu and Vegas. Yes, I know this is a messy job. My question is the following: Are there any Lazy Dazers who have installed a drain cock in the transmission pan, so the fluid can be drained before the pan is being removed? I learned this in the early 90ties with my Apollo, which was powered by a Dodge 440. It was a lot less messy this way. However, I do not know if there is enough clearance in the pan for such a drain. Anybody knows or have an idea?

Aad
2001 MB

Re: Lazy Daze Brake Replacement. and a Transmission Question?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 145642
Yes, Have a dealer do it. The reason I say this is they have a machine (for lack of a better description, a dyalisis machine) that pumps out the old fluid in the converter and replaces it with new after the old fluid is drained, a new filter installed, and the pan put back on.
Cost me about $250 bucks at a Ford dealer.
Best.
Jim Pappas 2006 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 145665
Some years of the 4R100 transmission have a drain plug on the converter (my 2000 does!) so you can drain the converter without having to do 'dialysis' which some feel is harmful.
 Glen who changed his fluid to Mobil1 and is very happy with it about 25,000 miles later.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 145667
"Some years of the 4R100 transmission have a drain plug on the converter  (my 2000 does!) so you can drain the converter without having to do  'dialysis' which some feel is harmful"

Glen
 There are different types of transmission flushing machines, some injecting solvent under pressure, others just remove the old and replace it with new or filtered and treated ATF.  The home version of flushing removes all of the old fluid and nothing more. It will not cause problems if done correctly.
Many oil pans do have plugs, fine for draining but only 7 quarts are removed, leaving 10 quarts of dirty oil in the transmission. If only draining the pan, you end up with diluted dirty oil instead of totally fresh.
To flush all the old oil requires around 22 quarts of fresh  ATF.  Oil drain plugs can be added to most oil pans missing one.
 For the DIYer, home flushing isn't that difficult. Below is a link to a posting about home flushing, a method I have used for decades without problems.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/lifewithalazydazerv/conversations/messages/111199

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Lazy Daze Brake Replacement. and a Transmission Question?
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 145670
Glen, I have been  having the 'dialysis' done  every two or three years since my 2000 was new. I have never heard it was  harmful. Where did you hear that? If it was someone who used this method and  then their tranny failed, that would not mean anything since these transmissions  fail at neaarly any point in their lives and for no apparent reason. OTOH, many  go 100K +, and are still going strong. I have never heard a good reason why some  of the 4R100s fail Tom.