Skip to main content
Topic: Auxiliary Braking Systems. (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Auxiliary Braking Systems.
Yahoo Message Number: 144369
Hi Joel. You shouldn't worry about the Brakemaster air hose between the  motorhome and towed vehicle. That system is for motorhomes with air brakes.  Think 40 feet diesel pushers. The SMI Air force one is another controller for  air or air-over-hydraulic brakes. The SMI Duo and Roadmaster are proportional  brakes, just not as Direct. The SMI Duo has a pendulum weight in conjunction  with the brake light signal to operate. Both the Duo and Invisibrake have their  own air compressors internally to operate the air cylinder, that moves the brake  pedal. That is what the Invisibrake air pressure gauge is reading, and why it  draws 10 amps while braking. The Tow dolly at 1200 pounds, added to the CRV at  about 3600 pounds, would exceed the bumper rating of 4000 pounds. Any weight  added to the hitch to 'beef it up' would cut into available GVWR. I'm not  sure what the E450 GCWR is but 4800 pounds can't be a good thing. The CRV  (2011) I think, can be towed 4 down. Why use a dolly? Hope this helped.  RonB with a '99TKB  P.S. I'm old enough to remember Rube  Goldberg.
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Auxiliary Braking Systems.
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144399
For a great aux braking system consider the US Gear unit. It has a vacuum pump to assist with power brakes. Amount of braking automatically or manually programmable from RV instrument panel. Have used one for over a year on my Jeep Cherokee toad. Works great.

Bob 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad