Skip to main content
Topic: 12VDC Computer Speaker System (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
12VDC Computer Speaker System
Yahoo Message Number: 144310
Looking for input on a good 12VDC speaker system powered by the standard 12VDC socket in my LD. Want a system with decent subwoofer and 2 tweeter/midrange speakers. I have found some on the internet but nothing that looks like decent quality. Will be connecting this to my Iphone/Ipad/Laptop.

Thanks for any tips!

Bob Moore 01 23.5 TK, Jeep Cherokee Toad Headed to the "Q" 12-29. Finally escaping redneck ville!

Re: 12VDC Computer Speaker System
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144311
Bose Roommate II powered speakers (2)

made in the 1980's  only available on eBay for under $100
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bose-RoomMate-II-Speaker-System-Very-good-condition-/201005368718?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item2eccda858e

One of the pictures shows the 12v jack,  uses RCA inputs

better than any $300 system today,  good deal at $70  fair at $90
 no need for sub in a RV - can play accurate to 108 db (I have tested this) dangerous level is 90 db.   A powered sub can be used if wanted.
 To improve bass 2 sets can be used with the 2 left speakers pointed at  each other at 90 degrees and the same for the right ones.  Better bass than a $100 sub.

The only way to improve over this is with a $400 sub

Pretty small
 Most sellers do not have the 12 v adapter - have to get it off of Amazon

I do not recommend the I model or the Lifestyle, only the II

On Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:03 PM, Robert  wrote:

Re: 12VDC Computer Speaker System
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144329
Computer 2.1 systems can be inexpensive and compact, with stereo inputs from a TV headphone jack, satellite receiver, media player, etc. The key is to audition them first, since the sound quality varies from atrocious to very passable. The system I use was has a pair of ~ 2.5" cube speakers and ~8" cube vented subwoofer. It runs from a 12V brick, i.e. directly wired in.
 HOWEVER! Such systems are usually NOT designed for grounded 12V systems, and audio isolators may be needed to prevent problems. I purchased ones from RS for the purpose.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit