Skip to main content
Topic: Corner Molding Seam Repair (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
Corner Molding Seam Repair
Yahoo Message Number: 144228
Hi,
 The exterior rear seams on my 2002 MB between the corner moldings and the sides of the RV have begun to open. What is the recommended material and procedure to repair this?

Thanks

David & Wendy
2002 MB

Re: Corner Molding Seam Repair
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144230
This is a common problem with LD's and to me it represents a flaw in the design and materials. The siding is aluminum and the end caps are plastic - different expansion and contraction rates. Thus the adhesive (and Ld has used several over the years, I believe) fails. They ought to make the end caps of formed aluminum; I'd gladly pay the added cost.
 Anyway - how to repair: I had a major separation of one of the front corner pieces a few years ago. With VERY helpful advice from Larry W. I was able to repair it myself. I documented the process with pictures and words.

Good luck.

WxToad

Posted by: "Wendy Harris" dwjharris@... dwjharris Date: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:29 pm ((PST))

The exterior rear seams on my 2002 MB between the corner moldings and the sides of the RV have begun to open. What is the recommended material and procedure to repair this?

David & Wendy

Re: Corner Molding Seam Repair
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144235
Windy
 You do need to address this before water enter the framing and any(more) damage occurs..
The Mothership is happy to repair or replace the molding, plan on a big bill.
The caps can be reattached by a through cleaning of the adhesive tape, used for attaching the cap, and then gluing then in place using clamps, screws or whatever means to hold the caps in place while the polyurethane cures.  I use 3M 5200 Fast-cure polyurethane.
Search the archives for more detail instructions, from my previous postings.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze