Skip to main content
Topic: Conversion to external propane source (Read 36 times) previous topic - next topic
Conversion to external propane source
Yahoo Message Number: 144216
Hello,
 I am looking to have the option to connect to an external propane source while parked long term so that I don't have to drive to refill.  I know that there are some products out there, such as the Stay Awhile, and I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or experiences, recommendations or ideas, that could be shared to help me make decisions in this process.  I see that it is possible to buy some of the parts individually--the tee and hoses--for cheaper than the kit, but don't want to short myself something valuable in the name of saving a few bucks.  I also read a review of one of the kits and the response was that, though useful and effective, it was not necessary to have all of the bells and whistles (ability to connect an external propane grill, etc) in order to achieve the basics of connecting to an external propane tank.

Thank you for any and all feedback!

Happy holidays! cynthia

Re: Conversion to external propane source
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144217
We installed an Extend-A-Stay on our Lazy Daze prior to camp hosting at a small BLM campground in northern California, for the very same reason...we were going to be there for 3 months and didn't want to drive the LD 15 miles (one way) to the nearest place where we could get it filled. So we used an external tank and when it was empty, we'd load it into the toad and drive THAT the 15 miles!
 A side benefit of this arrangement was that we could also hook the BBQ up to it.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144219
When I was camp hosting in AZ I had the local propane dealer fabricate a way to hook up an external tank. The connection goes where you would refill the internal tank. Pressure from the external tank goes directly into the internal tank and used from there in the coach. Worked great for the three months I was there.
External tank: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/budster59/camper%20stuff/PropaneTank.jpg

connected to LD: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/budster59/camper%20stuff/PropaneTank2.jpg ymmv Jerry in Mira Loma

2000 30 IB
Jerry Galang
Meridian, ID 83646

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144234
While Extend-A-Stay adapters are a great add-on, they do require, in most applications, cutting and flaring of the  propane line. This needs to be down by an experience tech to prevent dangerous  leaks. Make sure to thoroughly check for leaks using a commercial gas leak detector fluid .
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-8-oz-All-Purpose-Leak-Detector-302092/100151681 Dish washing soap or kid's bubbles will work OK but the commercial fluids are very sticky and thick, staying in place and able to produce bubble for over a day, good for find extremely small leaks

We took advantage of the Extend-A-Stay, in our LD, by adding an extra 3-gallon tank  to supplement the 23.5' smallest 8-gallon capacity.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602104740981/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/1416467334/in/set-72157602104740457
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144241
Thank you, Linda.  Was it easy to install the Extend A Stay?  I have seen youtube videos that seem to indicate that it is no big deal, but then I also see situations where there has to be extra work done by a professional . . .

Cynthia

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144243
Hmm.  Interesting.  What part of the propane line needed to be cut and flared? This is the first I've heard of this necessity.

Thanks! Cynthia

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144245
We did not do the work ourselves!!! We paid a knowledgeable propane technician to do the installation. IMO, this is not an area where you should try to save money.

Linda Hylton
Linda Hylton

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144246
I definitely agree with having a professional, i.e., a tech who is competent, knowledgeable, and experienced with working with LPG gas components and installations work on/install *anything* to do with propane!

IMO, messing with stuff that you know little or nothing about, particularly a very volatile substance that has the potential to kill you, is a real bad idea.  While there are some (potentially non-lethal) procedures that I'd be OK with doing based on 'instruction' from a YouTube video, LPG-related installations/modifications are *not* among them.

As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144247
I will only agree with you to a point. Just what is the knowledge of that person  that put out that YouTube Video. In so many cases I have seen them and they have  the knowledge of a 2 year old but they will make you be leave they know it all.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144248
I first thought of hooking a hose from an external tank to the fill on the MH tank fill but I gave that idea up because when the external tank was empty so was the MH tank.
 What works much better is remove the nipple between the MH tank valve and the pressure regulator (PR).
 Replace this nipple with a tee (all material should be brass) and  short nipples out each end. Look the tee UP.
 Replace the PR on the out let of the tee. The opening that is UP place a Ball valve next and then a nipple and 90 looking to the back of the MH.
 Place a Quick Disconnect next. This QD MUST be the type for propane and NOT AIR. The QD should also be the type with a valve to stop the propane if the valve just before it is left open. Get these parts from a propane dealer.

To use turn OFF the MH tank.
 Plug the external tank into the QD (in my case it is always a 20# bottle).

Open the 20# tank and the valve before the tee.
 You now have propane to the MH and the MH tank will remain full. You can replace the 20# tank when it is empty and replace with another.
 THE BIG ADVANTAGE HERE IS THAT THE MH TANK IS ALWAYS FULL AND IF THE 20# TANK GOES DRY YOU ONLY NEED TO TURN OFF THE 20# AND TURN ON THE MH TANK AND  ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE PROPANE IN JUST A FEW MINUTES. YOU  ONLY NEED TO REFILL THE PORTABLE TANK AND NOT THE MH TANK.
 If you put the tee before the PR you only need to have one PR and there is not a chance that the second  PR will be feeding a different pressure.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144249
THE BIG ADVANTAGE HERE IS THAT THE MH TANK IS ALWAYS FULL AND IF THE 20#  TANK GOES DRY YOU ONLY NEED TO TURN OFF THE 20# AND TURN ON THE MH TANK  AND  ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE PROPANE IN JUST A FEW MINUTES. YOU  ONLY NEED  TO REFILL THE PORTABLE TANK AND NOT THE MH TANK.

An Extend-a-Stay can the same when used with an external tank, it just depends on what tank's valve is turned on.  You can use either tank while saving the other tank.
 For most folk, buying the pre-fabbed kit is a lot easier and possibly safer than piecing it together yourself.

Larry
Larry

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 144253
I looked at the extend-a-Stay and you still need to cut into the propain system to install. On my 24' LD you would need to move the pressure regulator forward to get the extend-a-stay in and then the PR would not be resting on the plate supplyed by LD. It would be dangaling in mid air.  The inlet side of the PR will not match/mate  the outlet of the extend-a-Stay.  Also you need to cut (Shorten) and flair the tubing on the outlet side of the PR because the PR was moved forward.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144256
Okay.  I looked at my set up and it appears that there is not enough space for the stay awhile on my rig.  So, thinking I'll have to go with the direct inlet option.
Thanks so much!

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144257
In various conversations on this subject I read references to quick disconnects. I installed one of these wirh a "T" in the line immediately after we took delivery of our Lazy Daze from the factory in order to hook up our catalytic heater. I do recall that I was told at that time that quick disconnects were not legal in all States, including the State of California.
Since I have worked with gas etc. as a general contractor, I had no problems installing this. However, I just wonder if this is still the case in California and/or other States?

Aad

__
2001 MB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144259
Here is a pic of my install. It does not take up much space. If you do not feel that you can do the job go to a Propain shop and see what thy want.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27491195@N03/11502993485/

You may need to do a cut and past to get there. But it did work when I tested it.
 I allways keep a plastic bag over the QD but I took it off for the pic.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144260
Not all quick disconects can be used on Propane. They have to be an approved QD for propane.
 Most of the QD you find are for AIR LINE use. In fact when I did my install I had over 2 dozon QD but they were all for air lines. I had to go to a propane shop to get one for the job.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 144262
The quick disconnect that I used was for propane purposes. I bought this from a major Solar and catalytic heater supplier in Arizona. If I am not mistaken they may have made the reference that these were not approved in All States.

Aad

__
2001 MB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 144265
Thank you all for the helpful information!  I look forward to having this all figured out.  Meanwhile, I went through the multistep process of uprooting today and drove to fill my tank.  It wasn't so bad, but it sure will be nice when I can allow myself the luxury of using my propane heater on a cold night!  The RV heaters aren't, by chance, supposed to work on electric as well, are they??  Until recently I thought my water heater was gas only.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 144268
I started out in WA almost three weeks ago and had to stay in the SF Bay Area for over a week. During that entire time the temps were below freezing at night. I have a big down comforter and a couple of wool blankets to cover up and a wool fleece under my flannel sheet to keep me warm. I was worried about my animals, though, and every time I woke up I would turn on my furnace for a few minutes to warm things up. I didn't think I could use the furnace when boondocking, but the fan only uses 2.8A, so intermittent use seems to be perfectly alright.  I actually have a Wave6 heater I had installed last month, but I don't really trust it so far, that is I don't trust myself to be able to figure out how it works without blowing myself up.
Cheers, Ilse

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 144271
There are Quick disconnects rated for propane. I buy the hookup kits from RV Solar Electric and then add a propane rated shut off valve inline before the QD. I recommend that the valve is left in the off position when the heater is not use.

Larry
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 144273
Ah yes, I was suffering through those temps, too! They inspired me to do all kinds of creative things to stay warm:  I installed wall-to-wall wool carpet (removable when the weather warms up again--I am partial to my pergo floors except when it's freezing out!), electric blankets covering the door and front cab area (on high at all times), electric heater, and of course the down and wool blankets.  I finally figured out that keeping the electric space heater running all night was the only way to keep the temp above 40F (luckily I'm plugged in to power.)  My little space heater just could not catch up in the morning otherwise.  Now I'm cozy and ready for the next unusual cold snap!   (Your timing was impeccable *tongue-in-cheek* as the freezing temps only went on for a week or two.  It is normally much milder around here.)

Cynthia

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 144274
Hmm.  Okay, there is hope because your set up looks to be about the same size as mine.  The kit that I bought takes up much more horizontal space before the PR and the PR would be displaced too far to the right to fit.  Vertical space is available, however, and I see the possibility to mimic your set up.  Woo hoo!  Thanks!

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 144276
Larry,
 These are the same people where I bought my additional solar panels and catalytic heater from. No, I do not have a shut off valve in between. Although I never had a problem I do agree that that a shut off valve is good safety feature. I just may add one. Thanks for pointing this out.

Aad.

__
2001 MB

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 144278
This might be a good time to mention Eureka's article on cold-weather camping. It has a lot of good tips, including a few you may not have seen elsewhere.

One tip that isn't in that article (yet) is adding a switch by the bed that's in parallel with the thermostat. This lets you turn on the furnace without getting out of bed... you can stay warm under the covers until the coach is comfy.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"