Skip to main content
Topic: Brake Question? . (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Brake Question? .
Yahoo Message Number: 144201
As I mentioned my plan in an earlier post before, I am in the process of redoing my own brakes for our 2000 E450 Lazy Daze.
After reading the pros and cons of Ceramic versus Semi-metallic pads I chose to go with the latter. I understand that ceramic pads are harder on the rotors and could create warping them. Any opinions on this subject and did I make the correct decision?
 Fortunately I had no problems removing the calipers. However, when I looked at some of the piston seals I decided to replace the calipers as well as the hoses.
 Another item I learned that the brake fluid should be replaced more frequently than most of us do. To be honest, I have never done this in 75,000 miles. I certainly shall do this now and more frequently in the future. The flushing and bleeding I plan to do the old fashion way together with my wife on the paddle.

This being my first brake job ever I am having fun.

Aad
2001 MB

Re: Brake Question? .
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144209
"After reading the pros and cons of Ceramic versus Semi-metallic pads I chose to go with the latter"

Aad

The Factory pads are semi-metallic. When changing our LD's brakes, I found what appears to be the stock
 Motorcraft Super-Duty pads at Rock Auto. Both the 2000 and 2003 E450 use the BRDS655 front pad

I agree about changing the calipers. They are going on 14 years old and rebuilt caliper are not expensive.
Brake fluid should be changed every three years or so. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and absorbs moisture out of the air, leading to rust inside the brake system. Flushing is the only way to remove it. If working by myself, gravity bleeding works well, albeit slowly. Power bleeding works faster.
 None of the DIY bleeding methods flush the anti-lock brake module, it can only be done with a special scanner. I flush the anti-locks by first flushing the brake fluid and then driving it on a dirt road and locking the brakes up a few times to fire off the anti-locks. This will force clean fluid through the anti-lock module.

You must be the adventurous type to tackle the brakes on your LD, I don't remember too many here attempting it. While not much different than the one on passenger cars, everything weight 4-5 times more.
 I use 6-ton jack stands, two jacks and block the wheels remaining on the ground.
 The front hubs give me the most problems due to their 80-lbs weight. Make sure to remove the front wheel bearings for cleaning, repacking or replacement. Change the grease seals at the same time.

If this is your first brake job ever, I would suggest having someone with good mechanical experience take a look at your work before driving it. A motorhome is not be the best the vehicle to learn on, it is very easy to do something wrong or to hurt yourself. A goofed up job could cost you and others their lives.
Be safe.

Larry

Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Re: Brake Question? .
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144213
Larry,
 I very much appreciate your kind words and your note of caution. It sounds that you are very knowledgeable about the mechanical part of motor homes. More than likely a mechanic or part of the industry?

Although I mentioned
2001 MB