Skip to main content
Topic: Sedona, AZ (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Sedona, AZ
Yahoo Message Number: 144172
I'm in the beginning stages of planning a spring trip to Sedona and the surrounding areas; haven't been there for many years. So far, I'm considering the following: I-10>60>71>89 into Cottonwood, stay at Deadhorse Ranch SP, and rent a car to shoot around for a few days. I appreciate all suggestions of 'don't miss' attractions, experiences, and/or places, and any caveats that you might wish to offer; thank you! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Sedona, AZ
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144176
We've spent a good bit of time in that area. Lots to see and do, depending on your interests.

Sedona's landscape is spectacular. Not much to the town, unfortunately. We stayed in Rancho Sedona RV Park, right off Schnebly Hill Road, which is a rough dirt road into the back country. Be sure to visit Red Rock Crossing Park.

Jerome is interesting, picturesque, and well worth the drive up.

Tuzigoot National Monument is a well-preserved Native American ruin. Superb long views of the Verde Valley from the top of the monument.

Nearby Prescott is also worth a trip. Be sure to explore the "old-saloon strip" opposite the downtown square. Consider staying at Point of Rocks RV park north of town. It's right on the edge of beautiful Watson Lake Park (owned by Prescott),

We also camped in Dead Horse Ranch State Park. Nice place.

As of three years ago (our last time in the area), we enjoyed several visits to a gelateria called "A Scoop Above." It's on the main drag in Cottonwood. Well worth the calories! (I just Googled it and discovered it's now under new management, so the quality may not be the same now.)

Enjoy!

Martha in Santa Fe

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144182
To add to Martha's suggestions:

Bing's Burger Station - gas station converted to Fifties-style shake-and-burger restaurant. Limited menu, but excellent food. In Old Town Cottonwood; easily recognized by the red-and-white decor and the bright red 1952 Plymouth parked in front.

Picazzo's Organic Italian Kitchen - truly excellent food in Sedona. I've never had a bad meal there.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144184
Good suggestions.  If you like to see artwork, Sedona is full of shops to browse.  If the weather is warm, a trip to Slide Rock State Park north of town is fun to visit.
 While in Cottonwood, be sure to see the dinner show at Blazin' M Ranch.  For the best Mexican food anywhere, go to Juanita's Taqueria on 89A.  A trip on the Verde Canyon Railroad is worth the time, and you may spot some American Eagles.
 A walk around Jerome is a great way to spend an afternoon.  Be sure and visit the museum.  The Haunted Hamburger has absolutely wonderful hamburgers, but you might have to wait a bit to get in.
 Tuzigoot is interesting, but don't forget to visit Montezuma Castle National Monument while in the area.
 Lots to see and do around Prescott.  The "old-saloon strip" on Montezuma is Whiskey Row.  The most famous of the establishments is the Palace.  In it you can see the actual bar that was carried across the street then Whiskey Row burned to the ground in 1900.  It was famous for people like Wyatt and Virgil Earp and Doc Holiday.  Take a picnic lunch out to Lynx Lake.  Walk around the lake if you can.
 Prescott was the first capital of Arizona, and has over 700 properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places.  A visit to Sharlott Hall Museum is worthwhile.
 I live in Dewey, near Prescott, so if you have any specific questions, ask away.

Dick

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144189
Thanks to all who have replied with Sedona suggestions; I appreciate it and am keeping a file of all of the information!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home