Skip to main content
Topic: Ceramic Versus Semi-metallic Brake Pads (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Ceramic Versus Semi-metallic Brake Pads
Yahoo Message Number: 144147
Having been surfing varies websites I noticed that there seems to be differences of opinions which ones are the better ones for an E 450 chassis. Some people consider that the ceramic pads create more heat and as a result could warp the rotors and prefer semi-metallic pads. Others claim that, by properly braking the in, they are longer lasting and the way to go. Does any one in this group have experience with this or on  opinion about what pads to chose?
 I have almost 75 thousand miles on my brakes. My rotors show only very minor scratches and I have no problems with my brakes work just fine without any pulling. I think I am just replacing the calipers, hoses and pads. Needles to say flushing the brake fluid will be part of the process.

Aad
2001 MB

Re: Ceramic Versus Semi-metallic Brake Pads
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144148
JMHO (and you will certainly get differing opinions) but I've found that using OEM parts and fluids recommended in the Ford manual works really well! ;-) If you plan to do this work yourself, you might check Rock Auto (http://www.rockauto.com/) for the appropriate *heavy duty* brake components, Motorcraft or other.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Ceramic Versus Semi-metallic Brake Pads
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144151
I don't think I would go with them for an RV.  But I live on the east coast where it is relatively flat.

The issue is as I see it is the breaking system was designed around the performance of semi-metallic pads. In the little I have read ceramic pads may need more swept feet to get the same breaking force.  We are talking small differences by the way, it is not like if you make the switch the RV will not stop.  But it may take longer to make a panic stop.
 There may be an advantage if you do a lot of driving in the mountains due to how they handle heat. Ceramic pads have longer pad life but are hard on rotors.  They are clean up friendly because they make a lot less dust and the dust you see is light colored.
Currently: 2008 36' Tiffin Open Road
Previously: 2007 Mid Bath