Skip to main content
Topic: Maiden voyage question. Help! (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Maiden voyage question. Help!
Yahoo Message Number: 144104
I have 200W of solar panels on my new to me 2005 TK.  The millenicom mifi wants to be plugged into a regular 110V outlet to operate. None of those seem to work when I am not plugged into shore power. Do I have to start the generator every time I want to use a regular appliance? I made it from Sequim, WA to Palm Desert so far and intended to be boondocking for the next 4 months. I don't understand how that is possible when all I get is 12V.
What am I missing? Ilse

Re: Maiden voyage question. Help!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144106
"I don't understand how that is possible when all I get is 12V.
What am I missing?

Ilse
 Simple, you are missing an inverter, a device that converts 12-VDC battery power to 120-VAC. They can be as simple as a low-wattage device that can run your chargers or a big, hard-wired unit that can run the microwave and other large 120-VAC appliances, For your Millenicom router, something similar to this should work.
http://www.amazon.com/Whistler-Pro-200W-Watt-Power-Inverter/dp/B003R7CAX8

Larry
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 144107
Thank you, Larry. I just assumed that was part of the whole system. It's good then that I am sitting right outside a Walmart:) Ilse

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144108
One thing to check before buying an inverter.  I suspect that if you look around, you'll find the power.

My 2001 factory-installed inverter has one dedicated socket.  It's marked "inverter" - in the cabinet beside the TV in the MB.
 Coaches are wired so that the external and generator power go to all the rest of the sockets.  Good idea for load management since the inverter would be overwhelmed by hairdryers, space heaters etc.

John

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144110
Ilse,

You've gotten good advice on inverters from others.  Be aware that plug-in inverters can only provide up to about 120 watts of 110V AC power (because of the type of plug).  But that is plenty for small electronic devices like your mifi or battery chargers.  If you are planning on boondocking for several months, I strongly recommend that you buy an introductory book on RV electrical systems and ask as many questions on this forum as you can.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144114
If you wish top use the microwave, roof air, portable heater, hair dryer, etc while boondocking, then you will need to start the generator. You can install a large inverter that can handle the required power, but your two batteries and 200W of solar cannot keep up by a long shot.
 The trick when boondocking is to capitalize on the techniques and appliances you CAN use, in particular those using propane and 12V. For heat: the furnace and/or a catalytic heater; for cooling: open windows, fans and shade; for cooking: Stovetop and oven; for hairdrying: microfiber hair towel; etc.

Steve

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144123
Hi Steve, I don't have a hair dryer, hate air conditioning, and use my microwave for storage, but I have my Vitamix, my Omega juicer, and my Cuisinard on board. I guess i can start the generator once or twice a week and do all the things that need more power during that time. The way I understand it, the generator should be started regularly anyway, and I haven't done so yet since I bought Ladybug in July.
Ilse

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144130
"I have my Vitamix, my Omega juicer, and my Cuisinard on board. I guess i can start the generator once or twice a week and do all the things that need more power during that time."

You might be able to run an Omega juicer from a small (300 W - 400 W) inverter, but I wouldn't bet on it. The Vitamix is a real hog; draws nearly as much power as a microwave oven--close to 1,300 watts. Your rig would need a major, multi-thousand-dollar electrical upgrade before you could run that kind of appliance on battery/inverter power. Cuisinart food processors vary all over the map when it comes to power consumption, but again, you'd likely need a large, expensive inverter.

It's better to run these kinds of kitchen appliances--and anything that generates heat, such as a coffeemaker, electric frying pan, or waffle iron--from generator or campground AC power.

Of course, in many ways the best solution is to change your food preparation methods. There are plenty of ways to cook that use your stovetop's propane burners instead of electricity. A good set of knives, in the right hands, can chop vegetables almost as fast as a food processor. And when it comes to blending, pulping and juicing, you can do a great deal with a 200 W "stick blender," which is small enough to store almost anywhere, and can run on inverter power.

In short, when RVing, consider alternatives to your power-hungry electrical kitchen appliances. Not only can you save power, but you can save storage space as well.

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144131
Andy, Agreed.  Except I am mostly raw vegan.
Aside from the inverter, I bought a portable rechargeable speaker today so I can plug it into my phone and listen to my Seattle jazz station, and just found out that it charges with exactly the USB cable I need for the Millenicom router. Score! Thanks for your and everybody's help and suggestions. I'm sure it's not the last time I ask for help. I will be at Quartzsite some time in January and will try to learn from anybody and everybody who wants to pass on their knowledge.
Ilse

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144145
You may have stumbled into a solution for your router. But beware, just because the plug fits does not mean it is compatible.  Electronic devices have power requirements that vary all over the place.  If you do not have the knowledge to compare device requirements, and/or the equipment to test them, I would encourage you to not try to use a power adapter not supplied by the device manufacturer to power it.

With that being said, many devices these days can run from 12 volts, and there often is no issue with powering them directly from house power.  But it should not be assumed. On some devices 12V actually means 12.0, and the device may be damaged by automotive 12V, which is really 13.8 - 14.5.

I have made it kind of a personal quest of mine to locate devices that can run from 12V directly, everything from my CPAP breathing machine through permanently installed computers and networking equipment that are always on. Everything runs from 12V house power.  I do carry a small plug-in inverter for other occasional use devices, but I rarely have to use it.

Dave  '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144162
"You may have stumbled into a solution for your router. But beware, just because the plug fits does not mean it is compatible."

If it's a USB plug of any type (A, B, Mini, Micro, et al.), the voltage is 5 volts and electrical compatibility is assured.

Andy Baird
Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144173
Andy,
 You also have to worry about the current capability (wattage) for  compatibility.  I have one cheap 12v to USB adapter I bought that will not  charge my phone or Kindle because it does not deliver enough current.

Barry

If  it's a USB plug of any type (A, B, Mini, Micro, et al.), the voltage is 5 volts  and electrical compatibility is  assured.

Re: 12 V charging adapters
Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144181
"You also have to worry about the current capability (wattage) for compatibility."

That's true, but as long as you're dealing with USB devices, you can't actually damage anything (well, assuming the charger isn't one of the ultra-cheap, poorly made AC adapters that have electrocuted a few people in recent years), since they all use 5 volts.

For the record, most phones (including all iPhones) require 5 watts or 1 amp in order to charge; but most tablets (including all iPads) require 10 watts or 2 amps. You need to look at the adapter or its packaging to make sure of what you're getting. The majority of AC and 12 V adapters I've seen in recent years put out 5 watts, and thus are not suitable for charging tablets such as the iPad, but 10 W adapters are starting to appear as iPads and other tablets become more popular. Here are a few 12 V adapters that can charge both phones and tablets:

Griffin PowerJolt SE Car Charger with Lightning Cable - for newer Apple devices only; has an attached coiled cord with Apple Lightning docking connector.

Belkin Car Charger with Lightning Cable - for newer Apple devices, but can also be used with other brands; comes with detachable Apple Lightning docking cable, but can be used with other USB cables (e.g., Micro USB)

Griffin PowerJolt for iPad/iPhone/iPod - for older Apple devices, but can also be used with other brands; comes with detachable 30-pin Apple docking cable, but can be used with other USB cables (e.g., Micro USB).

All three of these 12 V adapters put out 2 amps/10 watts, so they should be able to charge any connected device.

Andy Baird
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
Andy Baird

Re: 12 V charging adapters
Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144211
"For  the record, most phones (including all iPhones) require 5 watts or 1  amp in order to charge; but most tablets (including all iPads) require  10 watts or 2 amps.

FYI
 An iPad Mini will happily charge off a 5-watt phone charger, in fact it comes with the same 5-watt charger as the iPhone.  Our Mini charges off any powered USB port.

10-watt chargers are now widely available but you need to check the printed specs on the actual charger to verify. Take a magnifier with you, the print is way too small for most older eyes to see.

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144212
The iPad Mini w/Retina display (the current model) comes with the larger 12-watt power brick from Apple. It may charge from the 5-watt unit, but it will take a  l o n g time, since it has 1.5x the battery as the earlier model  :)

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

help
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144220
I loaned my LD to some friends, who are on their way to Atlanta from Tucson.  They just called me to say that they have no power to the electric outlets, even though the generator is running.  Any ideas?

Thanks, Karen

Re: help
Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 144223
They checked the breakers, and say they are ok.  I just had some work done on the LD, including replacing one of the breakers.  I wonder if something went horribly wrong!?!

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 144226
I have an old BFA model and there is a small reset button on the generator itself. you have to feel for it around the top as I recall.  the gen will run but will not provide power to outlets until reset.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 144231
There are 3 possibilities that I can think of.  First is the main breaker, but you said they checked it.  I think you mean they cycled it, switching it off, then on, and it is in the on position.  It may still have failed, internally, or by the wire coming loose from it.  Second is the breaker on the generator, not in the power panel.  Reading the responses, it is not clear that they have checked that.  Third is the ATS, automatic transfer switch.
 Here is how I would trouble shoot.  First, plug into shore power somewhere.  Are the outlets now powered?  If so, you have a bad ATS.  Assuming there is still no power, I would unplug from shore power, cycle the breaker on the generator, and start the generator.  Let it come up to speed, then check the outlets.  Still nothing?  The problem is inside the power box, and is either a failed breaker or a loose wire.  If they are competent to re-wire a breaker box in a stick home, they can service the inside of the box.  Else, leave it to the pros.  Our power box has just as much voltage in it as a breaker box in your home.  (Well, sort of... homes have two 110v circuits while we have one, but it is still 110v.)

Ken F in NM
'08 MB