Skip to main content
Topic: Cold weather problems? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Cold weather problems?
Yahoo Message Number: 144095
A week, or so, ago the temperature fell to about -11*F. For the next several days to follow it rarely got above perhaps 20* with most days varying from just under zero to the mid-teens.
The camper, an '08 MB,  is in storage and was  not moved during this cold spell.  While shoveling the snow off the solar panels the other day,  and giving everything a good look-over, I noticed two things that were not there before the cold snap. I'm certain of that because I gave it a bath before I put it in storage and surely would have noticed.

1)  The front corner caps/trim. That is to say, the molded plastic pieces that wrap around the corner just behind the cab doors. There are three hairline cracks running the entire width of the caps/trim; two on one side and one on the other. The cap has not lifted at all; the paint seal between the edge of the cap and the body panel is basically intact.  These cracks did not appear in the rear corner cap/trim. Just the large pieces in the front.

2) Stranger still. The Ford decorative front grill is, I believe, plastic of some type. I didn't have a magnet with me to verify this, but I think it is. The grill is chromed. The chrome plating/paint has bubbled in several placed. That is, it has separated from the material to which it was applied.

Expansion/contraction of dissimilar materials or something else?

ed

Heading to "Q" in a few weeks to escape this sort of nonsense.  :-)

Re: Cold weather problems?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144097
Ed,

Our 2007 IB 30 spent several years in Montana under extremely cold winter conditions and developed hairline cracks in the same locations that you describe.  The PO attributed it to extreme cold.  I examined them closely before I bought the rig and concluded they did not pose a leak problem. I have several ideas for repair, none of which I have yet put into action.

We plan on being in Q from 1/6 to 1/10 or so.  Maybe we will see you there and we can compare cracks ;^) and ideas for the fix.

Dan
2007 IB-30

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144103
"1)  The front corner caps/trim. That is to say, the molded plastic  pieces that wrap around the corner just behind the cab doors. There are  three hairline cracks running the entire width of the caps/trim"

Ed

I often see cracks in all the rounded end caps, including LD which never are exposed to seriously cold weather. The are caused by heating and cooling cycles. Since every rig is unique, the stresses on the caps vary where cracks develop. New LD's caps are secured better than older models and I see more cracking as opposed to the caps lifting at the edges.
 Cracks in the front, around the door. are common. Seal them with either polyurethane or a strip of Eternabond tape. Letting water get behind the caps is never  a good idea, no matter how well the Mothership claims they are sealed.

Larry

Larry
Larry
2003 23.5' Front Lounge, since new.  Previously 1983 22' Front Lounge.
Tow vehicles  2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2001 Jeep Cherokee
Photo Collection: Lazy Daze

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144111
Thanks for the replies. I have some of the Creeping Crack Sealer.
If I can get Capt. Tolley thawed out, I'll give it a try.

A good project for "Q"

"Maybe we will see you there and we can compare cracks ;^) and ideas for the fix.

Dan"

We'll share the crack sealer.

The bubbles that formed under the "chrome" on the grill are another mystery.   I'll deal with that come summertime. I suspect a body shop could simply order a new grill.

ed

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144126
IMHO doing their own "nose caps" etc. is probably on the list of things to do right after "design models with slide-outs."

Doug Baker