Skip to main content
Topic: Michelin LTX M/S tire recall (Read 19 times) previous topic - next topic
Michelin LTX M/S tire recall
Yahoo Message Number: 144089
This might affect you if you use LT225/75 R16 115/112R LRE with date codes 0210 thru 2512.
 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/15/business/michelin-recalls-1-2-million-tires.html?hp

Dang, that's what's on my SOB; however, it appears Michelin is replacing them at no charge. From the website

Safety Recall : MICHELIN LTX M/S | Michelin Tires
http://www.michelinman.com/safetyrecall>

"Michelin recommends removal of these tires as soon as possible.
Owners of the affected tires should visit an authorized Michelin retail location as soon as possible to have the tires replaced at no charge."

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Re: Michelin LTX M/S tire recall
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 144092
Oops; Eric already posted the recall link from the Michelin site.  ;-)

Joan (glad that my tires are '3912')
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 144116
This is my 4th attempt at replying to this message. {Thanks for nothing, Yahoo}
 Thank you Eric and Joan.  I checked my rig today and my tires (bought last year) fall smack in the middle of th recall run.  Stopped by Costco to get the paperwork started on replacements.  The weekend manager was not aware of the recall.  Thanks to this forum, I am.  -- Jon ('06TIK "Albatross")
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 144135
Thanks for alerting us to the tire recall,
 Just fyi: My tires have the first set of letters B3JH but the second one is DBVX. I spoke with Michelin this morning and they said the letters much match exactly and since they don't I don't need to replace my tires. I was calling them as I thought there might be a range of letters, however, they said no.

Thanks again,

Andrea 2007RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 144136
Yes, my thanks to the poster of this info, too. My numbers do match, at least on the 4 almost 2-year old tires I can see. I checked with Discount Tire and they will replace them at my convenience with the LTX M/S replacement, the M/S2.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 144137
We have appt tomorrow morning for seven new tires at Discount Tires in Seattle. Thanks for the heads up about the recall!

Marti in Seattle
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 144138
I too am having six new tires installed thurs. at general tire in redwood city. have driven them about 4000 miles this summer from redwood city to Sedona Az and Lassen NP.  thanks for the info Bob&Verna

From: Marti To:  "lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com" Sent: Monday, December 16, 2013 3:58 PM Subject: [LD] Re: Michelin  LTX M/S  tire recall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 144150
On Dec 17, 2013, at 1:32 PM, Tessa Hill  wrote:
 I entitle this: Don't be a tire dummie like I just was! Here's the learning:
 First, thanks for all the reporting on this! I finally woke up to reality and  Ciao Baby's tires are indeed part of the recall! I also passed the info on to others too and one friend's rv is also in the recall. Share with all RVers!
 So while awaiting new tires, I will embarrass myself to maybe save you the same. I thought only 3 tires on my rv were in the recall but I did 2 things wrong: (look at the Michelin recall paper that was shared as I describe):

1. If the last 4 digits (the 4710 that's  squared on the recall notice)  are not inline with, and the same size, as the other numbers then you need to look on the other side of the tire!  (Guaranteed by Murphy's Law to be on the inside.) 
2. (Ok this one's really embarrassing): remember that the last 4 digits (the 4710 location that is squared on the recall notice) indicate the WEEK and YEAR. When the paper indicates a recall date range of 0210-2512, it is not sequential!! The recall is for any production date between the 2nd week in 2010 and the 25th week of 2012!  If you read a number on your tires like 2610 or 2810, then that's included in the recall, just like 2510 is. Make sense? Little detail. Just sayin' that would be smart to know.

If you got fresh tires put on at the same time, then they are likely all or none included in the recall.
 And thanks to Marti for remembering to check the spare tire as well! Good thinking! They will check Ciao's spare tire too.
 Ok, I'm going to march around here with my digital tire gauge in just a minutes when the new tires are on and act like I know what Joan has tirelessly tried to teach us about tires all these years! Hope that helps, Tessa in TX

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 144152
Getting tires is such an ordeal!

Question for you:  What is the oldest tire you would allow on your rig as of today? I told Discount Tire on the phone before going there that I wanted tires within the last few months and they said, "Yeah, we just got a shipment that's November."

Well, I wandered out there when they were installing and all of the new tires were like 2613 or 3313 and then they had one  that was 0113.  I just thought that was ridiculous. January?

After a wee bit of discussion about starting out with a year old tire, they put the old tire back on, ordered in some more tires for tomorrow, and if one is new enough for me, I'll have them put that one on before our trip on Friday.  Otherwise, I will go elsewhere.

It cost $16 each tire for an install fee.  Does that sound right?

And as I was double-checking the tire pressure, I noticed the driver rear hubcap was barely hanging on, so I got them to secure BOTH screws.

Part of the issue was someone taking a power tool to the pop-on little metal cosmetic caps- oops!

And they "lost" one of my flow-through valves because someone there had damaged my Tireman Valve Stem, so even another flow-through valve would not fit.

So what do I do about that??  Can someone remind me why we need the flow-through ends?

My brain hurts from the whole tire experience.  How many ways are there to mess up one's tires? And to think I used to take my paperwork and jump in and go!

One more thing, the replacement tires are LT225/75R16E1 115R B, which I asked him to check the load rating and "they both have 115R" load rating, which I did confirm on his computer screen.  Is 115R the load rating?

The good news is that the tires were all FREE!  That's worth a headache.

I reposted my previous post below since it doesn't seem to have come through when I sent via my iPhone.  It's about things to look for on the recall dates.

So my questions were:
1.  How old is too old to put on your rig?
2.  What should I tell them about my Tireman Valve Stem that they damaged?
3.  Why do we want the flow through valve ends?
4.  Is 115R really the tire load rating?
5.  Should I have paid an install fee on the recall?

Thanks for the help,

Tessa in TX '92 MB Ciao Baby Tire NON-Extraordinaire

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 144153
Here's my earlier message:  (I'm determined to share after typing all this out on my little iphone screen!):

I'll entitle this post: Don't be a tire dummie like I just was! Here's the learning:
 First, thanks for all the reporting on this! I finally woke up to reality and  Ciao Baby's tires are indeed part of the recall! I also passed the info on to others too and one friend's rv is also in the recall. Share with all RVers!
 So while awaiting new tires, I will embarrass myself to maybe save you the same. I thought only 3 tires on my rv were in the recall but I did 2 things wrong: (look at the Michelin recall paper that was shared as I describe):

1. If the last 4 digits (the 4710 that's  squared on the recall notice)  are not inline with, and the same size, as the other numbers then you need to look on the other side of the tire! (Guaranteed by Murphy's Law to be on the inside.)  
2. (Ok this one's really embarrassing): remember that the last 4 digits (the 4710 location that is squared on the recall notice) indicate the WEEK and YEAR. When the paper indicates a recall date range of 0210-2512, it is not sequential!! The recall is for any production date between the 2nd week in 2010 and the 25th week of 2012!  If you read a number on your tires like 2610 or 2810, then that's included in the recall, just like 2510 is. Make sense? Little detail. Just sayin' that would be smart to know.

If you got fresh tires put on at the same time, then they are likely all or none included in the recall.
 And thanks to Marti for remembering to check the spare tire as well! Good thinking! They will check Ciao's spare tire too.
 Ok, I'm going to march around here with my digital tire gauge in just a minutes when the new tires are on and act like I know what Joan has tirelessly tried to teach us about tires all these years! Hope that helps, Tessa in TX

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 144155
'How many ways are there to mess up one's tires?' ---- Plenty, and a lot of tire shops are way too familiar with every one of them!

A few tips:

If you want to use this particular shop to install the new tires, decide the *manufacturing window dates* which you will accept and order 6 tires with matching dates. Obviously, make sure that the new tires are as fresh as possible; I ask for a 6- week window with all matching dates, but you may feel differently.. Yes, the shop CAN get fresh tires with specified date ranges; they are reluctant because they want to move existing stock and it's more 'trouble' for them to order new tires.

Make sure all the tires are installed with the DOT code on the outside sidewall.

If they damaged your configured valves, they should repair it or compensate you because you may have to order a replacement valve and have it installed.  (And, I suggest having a different shop do this is it's needed!)

Are you talking about air-through caps, e.g., Alligators or the cheap-os? The primary advantage to air-through caps is convenience in checking and airing the tires without losing valve caps between the wheels or forgetting to put them back on. Alligators hold up for a lot longer than the knock-offs, but even they do wear out eventually.

115R is a *speed rating*; it's not really relevant for an RV tire. The *load rating* should be 'E' for any tires you put on your rig..

Always remove the wheel covers before you head to the tire shop; as you found out, the things are a complete mystery to whoever is trying to take them off, and they usually just hash up the job.  Ditto putting them back on.

Watch them while they do the job; if something looks wrong, question it and make them do it right!  Inspect the final job carefully before you pay; don't assume that the tire guys know what they're doing and have done it right; don't accept a crap job.  A lousy tire installation is virtually guaranteed to blow up on you at the worst possible time. Since you're taking off on a road trip and won't have time or opportunity to do a back and forth with the shop, have the job done right the first time; if you don't have confidence in this outfit's skill and competence, do search out another.

I agree that it can be a PITA dealing with tires, primarily because (in my experience)there are a lot more bad shops than good ones, and it does take some time and research to find the competent installers. And, believe me, some shops do rely on the customer's knowing squat about tires, and they have little or no compunction about taking advantage of that ignorance.

Good luck with this, Tessa (and everybody else who has tires that fall under Michelin's latest recall). I hope that the replacement adventure turns out well and that everybody goes down the road safely on properly selected and installed tires!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 144156
My tires fall in the recall too.  I'm actually glad since I've noticed some sidewall cracking on the rears after only 3 years.
 Since we have no trip plans for the winter, I will wait until spring to get the tires replaced.  I figure I might get tires that are a few months newer, and it will give the shops a chance to catch up a bit from the wave of recall work.
 Someone mentioned a $16 per tire charge for installation.  I'd point out to the dealer that the Michelin recall website specifies "Owners of the affected tires should visit an authorized Michelin retail  location as soon as possible to have the tires replaced at no charge."

http://www.michelinman.com/safetyrecall
 I would probably be glad to have my 3 year old tires replaced with new for only $16 a tire, but my reading of the recall notice is that there shouldn't be any fee.

Rich '03 MB in NC
2003 MB

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 144158
This link describes the designations in detail:
 http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do;jsessionid=+MPo4WcntD0Nc+POQ7gZ3w__.dtc304

The "E" is the load range, and E is what we use; the 115 is the Load Index, and corresponds to 2679 pounds for a single tire at max rated pressure; the R is the speed rating, 106 mph.

The link does not mention the "1" following the "E", or the "B" following the "115R".

Eric Greenwell
  wrote, On 12/17/2013 2:36 PM:
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 144159
Just a thought, Tessa, but I always remove the wheel simulators before I go for new tires. Easy to do at home and easy to put back on at home, thus no problems at the dealer. Also, I always watch over the installer's shoulder to see what he's doing. They don't seem to mind and then things are done right, especially reinstalling the valve stems/extenders. I always give them the correct torque # for the lug nuts. It's in the manual and escapes me at this writing.

Surprised DT charged for installation. They should treat them as new but free tires.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 144160
Rich, I agree that there should be no installation charge to replace recalled tires; I forgot to rant about that point in my post! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 144161
I always give them the correct torque # for the lug nuts. It's in the manual and escapes me at this writing.
--- 140 'foot-pounds'. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 144163
"Why do we want the flow through valve ends?"

Because they make it quick and easy to check your tire pressures every morning before you get on the road. And if something is easy to do, you're more likely to do it.

A friend of mine completely shredded a front tire on his toad last week while towing it just 35 miles from one campground to another. When I asked about checking pressures before driving, he replied, "I look at them all but don't check the pressures." Obviously that approach didn't pan out too well.

Inflate-through valve caps make it more likely you'll actually check those pressures, because you can do it in less than half the time when you don't have to unscrew and fumble with conventional caps. They also provide a second line of defense against leaks. I've been using them for a decade and have only seen one failure.

"What should I tell them about my Tireman Valve Stem that they damaged?"

Make them pay for a replacement!

Andy Baird
http://www.andybaird.com/travels
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 144164
The Michelin recall is interesting as they only list the LTX MS tires.  Nothing is said about the LTX MS/2 which replaced the LTX MS.  The two types of tires are slightly different, but are the manufacturing processes significantly different?  Is it possible that we will see a recall on the LTX MS/2 tires sometime later?  (Sorry, but I have a very suspicious mind.)
 Last summer I was told by 2 Michelin dealers that Michelin had not manufactured any LTX MS tires for quite a while.  They  would not give me a more specific time frame.  My question is:  "Is Michelin replacing the LTX MS tires being recalled with LTX MS tires or LTX MS/2 tires?"  Perhaps Michelin has known for some time that the recall was going to occur and restarted manufacture of the LTX MS tires to serve as the replacements.  If Michelin did this, did they correct the manufacturing problems that caused the older tires to be faulty?  I blew two Michelin LTX MS tires last summer and one of them blew a very significant section of tread off the tire.
 Maybe someone that has had their tires replaced under the recall could comment on the type of tires they received and the data codes on those tires.  It is my understanding that Ford has been using LTX MS/2 tires as their OEM tires for close to 2 years.
 This thing reminds me of the Dometic refrigerator recall a number of years back;  a bit vague and with little honest information supplied by the manufacturer.

Doug Baker

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 144165
Doug, there was a previous recall of the M+S2 tires, but in sizes *other* than LT225/75R16 E.  That particular size was not affected, but that doesn't say that it might not be involved in a future recall. Like you, I'm skeptical that all the 'shoes' have dropped on this one!  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 144167
Tessa,

We had our tires replaced today at Discount Tire on Northgate Way in Seattle. No charge at all.  They did try to sell Charlie a $30 per tire warranty but he declined. I forget what was included in that warranty. Our tires are September date code so slightly more than six weeks.  But no charge and seven new tires. I think they inflated the tires a bit too high but we can adjust that. Glad to get that all done so quickly as we take off in a few weeks for warm CA and AZ!

Marti in Seattle
Marti
2011 Blue MB
Seattle

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 144168
Many thanks for the posts about the tire recall .  I went out yesterday and checked ours and sure enough, all the numbers matched  . We're on the road in El  Paso , so I couldn't use my tire guy back home in  Mass .  I called a dealer that was close by - he hadn't heard of the recall and couldn't seem to find out anything .  I gave him the Michelin number to call, but he never called back  .
 So this morning I called a place over on the west side of the mountain, a Discount Tire shop where we had purchased tires for our previous LD way back in early 2008 . They were "sort of" aware of the recall . The fellow I talked to on the phone seemed to know about it and he said he had the replacement tires in stock; come on over any time .  So off we went . Upon arrival, the guy that met us said the recall didn't apply to our size tires  . I showed him a copy of the Michelin web site notice and he finally found it in his computer .
 No problem, he says, that will be $700 .  Whoa - No, it's supposed to be a free replacement  . That led to a discussion about the recalled tires being LTX MS, while the replacement tires are LTX MS2, and that he couldn't replace the tires with a different model .  So I called Michelin again, the young lady said yes, it was to be a free replacement and asked me to put the guy on the phone .  They went at it for a bit, but finally he relented .
 I did have to pay the $16/tire installation charge, however - he would not waive that . Ah well, the old tires were three and half years old, so getting a brand-new set for $96 ain't a bad deal .
 I guess the point of my tale is that if you have trouble with the dealer, give Michelin a call . I talked to them twice and they were very friendly and helpful both times .   And no long wait on hold, either .

Good luck, WxToad

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 144169
Thanks all for your excellent advice and help!

I called Michelin tonight and you're absolutely right- we are not supposed to pay a dime.  No install fee.  It is a Safety Recall and Michelin said that if their authorized tire dealer needed to call them, they would explain the form completion to them.  So I called Discount Tire and he said he'd refund my $80.  If he didn't refund my install charge, Michelin has a long 90-day process for submitting a ton of documentation (including the DOT codes on the tires that were removed, so be sure and write those down just in case).  I think a little credit card dispute would be faster, if necessary.

Joan, I am learning but still feel only 50% worthy!  Thanks so much for the excellent advice.  When you ask for a 6-week date window, can you explain what you mean?  Is the date window the timeframe just prior to your appointment?  Like early Nov-Mid Dec 2013?

Torque?  I'm sure wondering what they used.  No idea, but I will check tomorrow now that I know 140.

Flow-through air valves:  Yes, I check my tires EVERY morning and love those things.  I forgot about the plastic cap we previously used before the valves, since they also didn't attach one of those.  Does anyone remember where we tend to buy the flow-thru valves as a group?  I can't remember our source.  They are the nice metal ones.

My Tireman Valve Stems were $140 shipped for the set in 2007, so I'm not pleased they damaged one.  I'll try calling Chuck in the morning.  His email is not working for me.  He is still in business, I'm hoping...?

My receipt seems to show they are LTX M/S2 tires.  Would have cost $226 each.

Thanks for the load rating help.  I guess the E in the tire code means these tires are the proper the Load Rating.  That's good!

We are all going to be Tire Experts one day and make Joan proud!  :)

Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 144170
Hello LD family,

I just got six new tires replaced at America's Tires in Pasadena, CA under the warranty.  I thought I'd share my experience. The tires were coded 3813 (September code).  I suspect they were part of a "master build up" of stock before announcing the recall.

This is the same shop where I had them installed two years ago.  Upon check out they told me of an installation fee and offered the insurance for $29 per tire.  I had paid for the insurance two years ago on the original installation so I asked the manager to include it with the new tires.  He agreed, somewhat reluctantly but they insisted on a balancing fee and valve stems plus a tire disposition fee totaling $106.  I could have brought out the paperwork showing no cost but I am happy with six new tires for $106!!!!!!

Gary in So Cal 2007 TB

PS. I gave them the hand wrench supplied at delivery and showed them how to remove the covers.

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 144192
I bought 4 new LTX M/S tires thru our local Ford dealer last year and it looks like they are not a part of the recall.  The DOT code starts out B7 instead of B3.  Researching the difference, I came across
www.harriger.com/tire4.htm which identifies Manufacturer Plant Codes.  It looks like the B3 recall tires were made in Bridgewater, Nova Soctia Canada where my B7 tires (which say on the sidewall "made in USA") were made in Dothan, Alabama.  Those of you getting yours replaced might want to see which factory made the new ones.

Rich - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD